Loafers for Spring suit wear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Loafers for Spring suit wear

Hello all. I have never owned a pair of penny loafers. I have a strong urge to purchase a pair to wear around the office this coming Spring. FYI, I am an attorney in a smallish town and they would be worn both in the office and in court, generally with either a cotton suit or sports coat/trousers combo. They would not likely be worn with a traditional wool suit. I have several pairs of AE shoes I like. As such, I am considering purchasing a pair of either the AE Ascher in bourbon or a pair of the AE Cavanaugh in brown suede. Both are currently priced such that I would not hesitate to purchase either right now from the ShoeBank. The Cavanaugh look a bit "chunkier", but I have no experience with either. The closest AE store is a solid 2 hours from me. Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Out of those two, I think the Ascher would be more suitable. The cavanaugh is too casual for a suit or sportcoat imo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

That's kinda what I figured, but I really dig the idea of suede loafers. I think I'm maybe trying to justify what would likely be the wrong decision in purchasing the Cavanaugh.

Comment

Be aware that the Ascher and the Cavanaugh fit completely different. The Ascher is on AEs shortest and narrowest last. You'll want to go up a half size and maybe a width from your size on the 5 last (Park Ave, 5th Ave, Strand, etc). The Cavanaugh is a lot more generous throughout.

Comment

Asher definitely looks better than the Cavanaugh and for your purpose I think the suede would be a bit too casual still.

I really like the look of the Oxblood Lake Forest and think it would be versatile.

Comment

Thanks for the replies, guys. I'm going to give it a bit and see what else pops up between now and Spring.

Comment

I have the Ascher in brown calf and can work well with a suit. I also have a Meermin suede loafer in similar shape that I don't think works that well with a suit. I usually wear my Meermin with wool slacks and a sportscoat. I think the Cavanaugh in suede would be even more casual to wear with a suit.

Comment

Working...
              X