Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bourbon Dalton Factory Seconds. Keep or Return?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bourbon Dalton Factory Seconds. Keep or Return?

Nabbed these last week for $159. I had recently gotten a pair of Stafford Deacons and were really happy with them. I even applied some black polish to them to add some depth to the color and it turned out really nice. But I couldn't miss the chance to upgrade to the Dalton for such a great price so I jumped on it.

I got it in today, first off I'm surprised how similar they are to the Deacons; especially the color match. As far as the flaw goes, there are some little loose threads here and there, but I think more than anything there is some inconsistent burnishing? Streaks of black are kind of left here and there as if they applied a form of polish, but didn't properly work it in before it dried. That and there are some parts where they left it out so it's a bit spotty.

So do you think these are acceptable? They actually told me that I could get returns on this pair so there's not danger of paying the $10 restocking fee. I feel like there is some creasing on one of the pictures that led to some weird coloration, but I feel like creasing will be inevitable anyways. As far as the inconsistent burnishing, won't that eventually be evened out over time and with more polish applications? I'm kind of happy with them, but I was burned with a previous pair before so I wanted to get the forum's opinions.

Pictures don't seem to be loading?

I think they can be reached at this link.
    http://imgur.com/a/Y5Ccu
    Last edited by SWong37; January 19, 2017, 02:35 PM.

Look pretty good for bourbon 2nds to me. Wish they'd drop the price to 159 for the chocolate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Hmmm, more and more I'm starting to notice little things here and there that are actually getting me more and more worried. Some of the leather has actually torn off on a small part of the leather on the wingtip as well.

I feel like the ridges on the top of the shoe on pics 2 and 3 would be permanent even after a recrafting. Also, the creases in the middle on pic 4, would those necessarily be a given over time? (edit I guess the example picture they have even has those creases so it's not super uncommon http://www.allenedmonds.com/bourbon-...s/SF0112B.html)

I'm kind of leaning more in the return camp now...
      Last edited by SWong37; January 19, 2017, 07:37 AM.

Comment

Looks fine to me. I have some Dalton 2nds that have those "ridges" at the top and they are find after 2 years. Unless the color is really splotchy in places you did not post pics, I would keep them and bourbon 2nds seem to be the biggest crap shoot.

No one is going to notice these issues unless you point the issues out to them.

Comment

I'd like to see a close up of the toes. In my experience that's the only area that cosmetically needs to be pretty darn good, poorly done burnishing will inevitably become annoying. From the pictures you posted thus far, I'd keep them.

Comment

I would have returned immediately. Sure, seconds are seconds, but that top left of one of them??? Or the top leather in general??? I would have sent them off immediately. Things are expected, but damn. I guess everyone thinks differently though...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Alex.C View Post
              I'd like to see a close up of the toes. In my experience that's the only area that cosmetically needs to be pretty darn good, poorly done burnishing will inevitably become annoying. From the pictures you posted thus far, I'd keep them.
              Added some more pics. Specifically of the toes. They are good unless you look close, where one of the wingtips kind of lose it's color at the edge. There's also just a very small hole on the L shoe that is kind of to tell in the pics (though I keep looking at it now).

Comment

As seconds go, those are definitely fine and more than acceptable for the price point. If you have doubts about that, then seconds just aren't for you.

If it were me, then the only reasons I would consider sending them back are:
                - they are indeed very similar to the Deacons in color, so you might want to "upgrade" to a Dalton that's a different shade (e.g. chocolate, as walnut is probably also too similar) or color (oxblood - I personally think the Dalton looks far better in either oxblood or bourbon than it does in anything else).
                - you just don't like something about the color or design of the Dalton. I don't include the quality of the leather and burnishing in that, because I don't think you're going to get better at the price you paid.

Comment

Considering they are seconds at a great price I don't see any issue so bad that I would send them back. However, if you are noticing stuff you are going to think about every time you put them on I would return immediately, otherwise enjoy! those are good boots that should serve you well for years if not decades.

Comment

I agree with everyone else on here; at $159 that's a very good pair of boots. Most of the issues are cosmetic, and will blend in with wear and tear. The ridges up top, is that weird burnishing or is that loose leather? Even if it is loose leather it's at the top of the boot so there shouldn't be any structural issues, and your pants will always cover it up anyway.

That being said, your enjoyment of something is mostly psychological, so if these things bother you a lot, and you're going to constantly think about them then I'd return the boots. Otherwise, enjoy your fantastic boots!
                    Instagram: WoofOrWeft

Comment

All the mentions of ridges are things you can feel on the boots themselves.

I guess the majority consensus is that I should keep them. I realize the decision is ultimately the decision is whether I can live with the imperfections, but I'm mostly wondering if there is any permanent damage that wouldn't come from just normal wear and tear.

It does seem that as far as seconds gambles go (especially on bourbon) this is leaning on the side of 'not too shabby'.

Comment

For $159... I'd absolutely keep them. Heck, if you're thinking of returning them, let me know what size you are and if we're the same size I'd probably buy them from you.

Comment

they look good for the price.

Comment

Working...
                          X