Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are these hangers damaging my suit jacket?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are these hangers damaging my suit jacket?

Tried searching but didn't see any threads related to this...if I missed one if you could point me in the right direction that'd be much appreciated!

Album here: http://imgur.com/a/LiuwH

I recently bought a decent suit and wanted to get some suit hangers to match. I don't have any experience with nice hangers, but these were highly rated on Amazon so I figured I'd give them a shot. Initial impressions on unwrapping were good, but when I put my suit jacket on the hanger I was a little surprised:
    • The jacket flares out at the bottom instead of laying flat
    • The back of the jacket doesn't look well-supported, which I'm pretty sure is due to the fact that the back of the hanger isn't contoured the same way as the jacket

Since I have so little knowledge on what a jacket is supposed to look like on a proper suit hanger, I was just wondering: is this normal/how bad is it? Would I be able to find hangers that fit my jacket better? Do you have any recommendations?

I am by no mean an expert on this, but it seems to me that when hanging a jacket, the primary goal is to use a hanger that will disperse and reduce the impact of force applied to the jacket by the pull of gravity at the contact points. So I would think that the most important factor is the footprint of the hanger "shoulder". In this case, the wood ones are clearly better in that regard. I don't know if the other observations you noted are actual issues, or just esthetic concerns, though I tend to think the latter. Perhaps someone more knowledgeable can add more.

Comment

Get suit hangers from Kirby Allison or Butler Luxury. Have some from both and don't observe any of the issues in your pics

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I have those hangers as well, 2 sets of them (so far). haven't had any issues with anything I've put on them; everything wears and hangs fine. I wouldn't fret it to be honest. Short of getting a hanger custom made to exactly your body dimensions I can't see a way to exactly mimic how the jacket would drape on your frame and frankly can't see any reason it would need to. Nice fat wide shoulder 'pads' on the hanger are most important. You've got those in spades. I'd roll with it.
        https://www.professorhorseyhead.com

Comment

Originally posted by jfo2010 View Post
          Get suit hangers from Kirby Allison or Butler Luxury. Have some from both and don't observe any of the issues in your pics

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          Thanks for the suggestion, but I was hoping to get something in a slightly lower price range...my suits aren't that nice yet!

Originally posted by armedferret View Post
          I have those hangers as well, 2 sets of them (so far). haven't had any issues with anything I've put on them; everything wears and hangs fine. I wouldn't fret it to be honest. Short of getting a hanger custom made to exactly your body dimensions I can't see a way to exactly mimic how the jacket would drape on your frame and frankly can't see any reason it would need to. Nice fat wide shoulder 'pads' on the hanger are most important. You've got those in spades. I'd roll with it.
          That's good to know; it definitely does both support and fit the shoulder well. I guess I thought the back would be more contoured similar to the plastic hanger it came on, but looking around it seems like the vast majority are pretty straight in the back like these.

I'm surprised you could identify the hanger without any branding; I guess I need to work on my own deduction skills!

Comment

Working...
          X