Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cargos for dads?

Hi Team Dappered,

I know cargo pants are way out of style in general, but any thoughts on wearing them when traveling with small children? Like toddlers...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

I totally get that kids come first and sometimes function trumps style and sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do to take care of your family.....but cargo shorts are still not a good look, kids and traveling don't change that.

Comment

I've seen some cargo pants lately in slim fits with very flat-laying pockets on sites like J Crew (don't see them now, though) that are intended to be fashion-forward. You could probably get away with those but as soon as you put something in the pockets, it'll ruin the look. I personally wouldn't wear them anyway as I don't care for the look. I think the cargo pants trend is too recent for it to recycle slightly different and look new, especially since it is pretty much still going strong.

I don't find that I need pockets with my daughter. I'm either carrying a bag of stuff or we're easy walking distance from home anyway.

Comment

Cargo pants are the minivan of the clothing world. Stay as far as you can as long as you can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I think there are just better options if trying to find the right balance between style and functionality. I'd rather have a normal backpack, messenger bag or tote if i needed to carry more things.

Comment

A Barbour Beufort has a great amount of pockets for carrying a lot of my dad essentials when I am out with the he kids.

Comment

Originally posted by dpark View Post
              I've seen some cargo pants lately in slim fits with very flat-laying pockets on sites like J Crew (don't see them now, though) that are intended to be fashion-forward. You could probably get away with those but as soon as you put something in the pockets, it'll ruin the look.
              This. I had a pair from Land's End that were like this - I wore them for just hanging around as super-informal clothes, but never actually used the cargo pockets.

And with my little boy (now 4 years old), I just started always having a bag with me.

Comment

I'd pass on cargo pants of any sort. There are plenty of bag options out there.

Comment

Thanks everyone! I'll stick with a jacket for extra pockets and a bag. Any good bag options for dad's that you can recommend? Something on the small side, but not man-purse territory?

Comment

Originally posted by Shade View Post
                    I'd pass on cargo pants of any sort. There are plenty of bag options out there.
                    Originally posted by hockeysc23 View Post
                    I think there are just better options if trying to find the right balance between style and functionality. I'd rather have a normal backpack, messenger bag or tote if i needed to carry more things.
                    I prefer to take bags as well but some places dont allow them. And some places, it is an invitation to snatch and grab theft. We took one in Disney but nothing of value was in it. Just food and spare clothing.

Originally posted by JohnyY View Post
                    A Barbour Beufort has a great amount of pockets for carrying a lot of my dad essentials when I am out with the he kids.
                    jackets work great...unless its 90 degrees and you are taking 4 kids to the zoo.

Sorry [MENTION=15259]yogi[/MENTION] nobody is going to tell you they are a good look, but sometimes they are very useful. I have a pair from REI that I use for camping and places like theme parks with the kids. They are a quick dry material and hold stuff. There are times were I couldn't care less if my outfit would get positive comments in WIWT.

Comment

Cargo shorts - heck no

Originally posted by yogi View Post
                      Hi Team Dappered,

I know cargo pants are way out of style in general, but any thoughts on wearing them when traveling with small children? Like toddlers...

I don't see any need for them. With my kids I almost always have some kind of bag with me anyway. Even diaper bags have come a long way since my kids were really young. And there are great options for such bags now, to say nothing of backpacks (meh) and messenger bags (somewhat better).

I confess to wearing cargos in college and maybe a few years beyond. In my defense, they were ubiquitous on college campuses and, frankly, useful for holding extra cans of beer...

Comment

Cargo pants actually seem to be more in style at this point in time, they are still bad though

Comment

I like bags. I have like 6 backpacks and 3 messengers. But for me, it still comes down to comfort and heat. even my most expensive backpack gives me a sweaty back. also helps in restricting items. With a backpack, crap just gets put in there. With my pockets, there is more strict limit. The whole point of the cargos is traveling light anyway. But you can over do it. I have a friend that "gears up" for everything. New dad. If we are just going to the movies or out shopping, leave all that crap at home or in the car. Ideally cargos are useful for half day or longer outings where you are away from your "base", whether that be a car, campsite, or home. Not everybody does that kind of activity in the numbers that my family rolls with so I can see how a lot of people would be like "whats the point?"

But they do look terrible.

Comment

I have an almost one-year-old and I'm usually carrying a diaper bag or pushing a stroller when we are out and about. Both usually work fine for stashing stuff that doesn't fit in the pockets of my slacks or jeans. At some point, I will probably transition to a backpack. My bigger concern is keeping my clothing free from baby grunge. I'm at the point of keeping a spare shirt tucked away in my car or in the stroller just in case.

Comment

My daughter is closing in on 2 years and I'll second the diaper bag for most occasions. We have a big black nylon job that holds a lot of crap.

Comment

Working...
                              X