Watch band more expensive than watch?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Watch band more expensive than watch?

So I have a watch that I paid, oh I don't know, maybe $50 for. It's not a bad watch and makes it on my wrist maybe once every two weeks or so. I like the watch but...the strap is crap and I'd like to replace it.

Yesterday I noticed a strap that I like quite a bit except the strap is $80. I ended up not buying the strap because the strap was/is more than I paid for the watch. But then it started me thinking. Maybe if I had a nicer strap I'd wear the watch more.

Anyway. I thought I'd post up here to see if any of you gents have purchased straps for your watches where the strap costs more than the watch.

Cheers.

Originally posted by DocDave View Post
    So I have a watch that I paid, oh I don't know, maybe $50 for. It's not a bad watch and makes it on my wrist maybe once every two weeks or so. I like the watch but...the strap is crap and I'd like to replace it.

Yesterday I noticed a strap that I like quite a bit except the strap is $80. I ended up not buying the strap because the strap was/is more than I paid for the watch. But then it started me thinking. Maybe if I had a nicer strap I'd wear the watch more.

Anyway. I thought I'd post up here to see if any of you gents have purchased straps for your watches where the strap costs more than the watch.

Cheers.
    I have not done this, but I would. If you really like the strap and it seems a perfect match for the watch then I would go for it. Sounds like you have a decent sized watch collection, so if you end up not wearing it as much as you think you will you could always just use the strap on a different watch down the road.

Comment

As long as you can use the strap for another watch, go for it.
      Instagram: WoofOrWeft

Comment

Originally posted by Token View Post
        As long as you can use the strap for another watch, go for it.
        Yup. As long as it's something you can get a lot of mileage out of then I say go for it.

Comment

$130 for a watch you find yourself wearing pretty frequently that looks good on your wrist isn't a bad investment at all....especially if as others have said the band can be moved to a different one if you find you don't fancy the combo as much as you thought you might.

Besides, one can easily spend over $400 on just a band alone...but alligator horn scales DO look rather dashing around the wrist, I must say.
          https://www.professorhorseyhead.com

Comment

I have shell cordovan straps on some of my watches and those are the ones I reach for the most. I have cheap natos on other watches and I never wear them.

Comment

I have a horween strap on a timex I got on clearance. Do it. A comfortable, good looking strap is worth it.

Comment

I bought a FFF horween chromexcel button stud strap for my Casio Edifice a couple years back. They each basically cost the the same amount. I've worn it a ton and it fits on all of my other watches as well, so I've swapped it between them a bunch of times.

Comment

Thanks. I do have the spring bar and other watches in the same lug size as the more expensive band. So I could theoretically move the strap between watches too.

Comment

Originally posted by idvsego View Post
                    I have a horween strap on a timex I got on clearance. Do it. A comfortable, good looking strap is worth it.
                    Yup, completely agree here.

Comment

I think it depends on the watch. If the watch is plastic and looks cheap that is one thing. Probably such a watch wouldn't look good with a leather band anyway.

Also if you plan to resell the watch, I wouldn't package then together.

Comment

Yeah, this is for the Nomos Tangente homage that I purchased a while back. I like the watch but don't wear it often and I'm sure the strap is part of the reason.

I agree about the point of selling watch/change out the strap.

Comment

So here's the watch and the strap. I went with a Hirsch Alligator. The strap is still quite stiff so I'm hoping it will loosen up with use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by DocDave View Post

So here's the watch and the strap. I went with a Hirsch Alligator. The strap is still quite stiff so I'm hoping it will loosen up with use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                            Looking good! I bought a Hirsch strap for an Orient I had back in the day and I loved it! It was the plain brown one, though, not the Alligator, so I don't know if that'll make a difference. Mine was a bit stiff, too, at first, but it took all of a week for it start to really mold to my wrist.

The Orient was good on it's own, but the nicer strap made it 10x more fun to wear. I hope you have a similar (or better!) experience with yours...

Comment

Thanks! I guess I need to wear the watch more for the strap to loosen up. I am a bit concerned the strap might be too narrow, but we'll see.

And I hear ya on the Orient strap. I have a Bambino and man. Great watch but terrible strap. As soon as I replaced the strap I was much happier with the watch.

Comment

Working...
                              X