Dappered for Women?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dappered for Women?

My girlfriend was asking if there was a website that was as similar and simple as dappered but for women. Does such a thing exist?

Joe mentioned that it is in the works, but on a slow roll-out so those interested should be patient:

http://www.electrogent.com/2011/12/i...-joe-dappered/

Comment

Man, I was literally just about to post this exact thread yesterday! My girlfriend sees me reading this site a lot and she's in the process of making some pretty big changes to her wardrobe. We're both dissatisfied with how most of women's fashion is a) based around celebrity worship/emulation, b) model-centric runway fashion, or c) impractical and eccentric.

What I like about this site over places like Style Forum is the lack of focus on what's immediately trendy, favoring instead elements of style that are relatively staid and classy (and less ephemeral). Plus, the cost of most of the stuff covered tends to be very affordable. There also tends to be a lot less brand obsession that leads to people buying X outrageous fashion thing that nobody would like except for the fact that it comes from Y desirable brand. Most writers in women's fashion magazines seem preoccupied with branding and signaling their status their purse or whatever else. I tend to be more interested in aesthetics/stye than branding, and I like that Joe seems to avoid plugging even sweaters with insignias, let alone stuff with huge logos on it. Finding a women's fashion publication that does, or does not, do all this stuff is pretty hard!

I used to bemoan the lack of outlets for menswear beyond the normal GQ/Esquire, but now I'm finding that even if women do have much more in the way of magazines and websites, it's hard to sift through them all to find one for down-to-earth discussion of style for real people.

Comment

There are a ton more style/fashion sites for women, but I don't think there's much in this vein.

A friend of mine works for Kohl's, and she has a personal fashion blog where she shows stuff she buys at Kohl's and local stores for her ensembles. Might be helpful, but she's a newbie blogger...nothing like this Dappered.com juggernaut.

http://fashionista-brit.blogspot.com/

Comment

My fiancee really enjoys this blog:

http://whatiwore.tumblr.com/

Comment

I have at least one friend who's definitely interested in a FemDap as well.

Ben

Comment

That sounds like some kind of drug or medical device

Comment

FemDap: http://www.facebook.com/people/Femdap-Veronique/100000947854188

What names do you guys suggest for a women's Dappered blog?

Comment

I think I got it from FemShep (the popular name for the feminine incarnation of Mass Effect's protagonist, Commander Shepard).

Ben

Comment

Boo FemShep! She ruined the cover of my Mass Effect 3 Collector's Edition!

Comment

*shrug* Pretty sure MaleShep/VanderShep ruined the cover of many a FemShep player's game already. And it's not like BioWare didn't do a pretty solid job ruining the ending of the game... I'd say overall, your concern is a minor one. :-)

Ben

Comment

It is major to me! How could MaleShep ruin covers for FemShep users if there wasn't even a real FemShep model until the third game? He is the face of the brand and selected to be the marketing icon by BioWare. I think it was a crappy move to force the new model on me in the last, most important part of the trilogy.

It isn't like BioWare could have made covers for every custom character and for FemShep because there were never any defined models in existence for those! That was the point of MaleShep, to have a consistent character to identify with.

FemShep was not a thing until the third cover! It just jumped out of nowhere and messed up the consistency! I'd argue the other way around if a new MaleShep was invented in the last part of the trilogy when there was already a definite FemShep face for the brand, but unfortunately it is the other way around and it really happened!

Oops! This is some digressing. I'll let this go back on topic. Ms. Dappered?

Comment

Well, this is a happy day.

http://fullclutch.com/

Shockingly, the bikini post is atop the Popular Posts feed.

Comment

The original post is 3 weeks old, and Joe said "A few have asked if there was a website out there that was like Dappered, only for women. There didn’t seem to be, so, we went ahead and made one."

But there are posts as old as January on that website. Huh?

Comment

They've been working on the site for a while. It's good to start writing to develop an SEO long-tail (more keywords = more search engine traffic) and to develop a voice for the writing style, types of posts, etc.

Comment

Working...
                              X