Boot Fix Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boot Fix Question

Hi everyone, I have a quick question I figured I'd toss out there...

I have a pair of Eastland High Fidelity boots. They've been good to me, and I've enjoyed them, but the heel is starting to wear down which is causing small holes due to a hollow/framed heel. It's not bad yet, not worth a trip to the cobbler at least. But the holes are just big enough to allow little pebbles to slip into the heel and cause an annoying rattling.

This is totally a "first world problem", and something that I should just be able to get over, but it's annoying to have to either dig out the stones or listen to the rattle every time I walk/move my heel.

Any advice on an at home plug/fix? I don't want to have to take them to a cobbler yet, not for this. The rest of the boot is in great condition (I have a habit of wearing the heels quicker than the rest of the shoe).

A shot of Flex Seal? Haha
    https://www.getflexseal.com

Comment

Originally posted by batkins9 View Post
      A shot of Flex Seal? Haha
      https://www.getflexseal.com
      I didn't even know this existed, thank you! This is probably exactly what I was looking for!

Comment

That's not likely to work well if you're thinking of just spraying over the holes. You'll wear through it in a day. What you probably want is something that can actually fill the cavity entirely. You could probably fill it with a black caulk, so long as it's something that cures firm and doesn't remain sticky.

Comment

Originally posted by dpark View Post
          That's not likely to work well if you're thinking of just spraying over the holes. You'll wear through it in a day. What you probably want is something that can actually fill the cavity entirely. You could probably fill it with a black caulk, so long as it's something that cures firm and doesn't remain sticky.
          I was half kidding in suggesting it, but flex seal can fill cavities. Once it dries, it's essentially rubber. When it's applied as a liquid, it takes the shape of whatever it's applied to as it dries. Again, don't know for sure that it'll work, but it could.

Comment

I was thinking shoe goo, which is probably similar to flex seal. It probably wouldn't be super durable if you just covered over the hole, but if I'm picturing your problem correctly it would probably work if you squeezed it in and completely filled the cavity that the stones are getting into. I imagine this would add a bit of weight, which you might notice if you're a princess and the pea kind of guy, but otherwise should work. As dpark said, black caulk would work too.

I didn't even realize heals could be hollow.

Comment

you could glue a little piece of rubber to the bottom, but it's unfortunately only going to get much worse.

lots of weight rest on a shoe heel, which is why most shoes have solid hard pieces of rubber for them. This means any fix that isn't substantial will probably fall off or wear through pretty fast.

Comment

Hi everyone! I'm sorry for ghosting, I was abroad for work and then family stuff, etc., etc.

Thanks for all the replies on this! It sounds like I'm best off just waiting till the end of boot season and then getting them resoled...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Be like MacGyver and stick some gum in it.

Comment

Originally posted by 07Rams View Post
                    Thanks for all the replies on this! It sounds like I'm best off just waiting till the end of boot season and then getting them resoled
                    Take them to a cobbler and see what they say, but I'm not sure those can be resoled. They're almost certainly cemented construction. But a cobbler might have a way to repair the heel.

Comment

Originally posted by dpark View Post
                      Take them to a cobbler and see what they say, but I'm not sure those can be resoled. They're almost certainly cemented construction. But a cobbler might have a way to repair the heel.
                      That's a really good point, actually. They're absolutely glued/cemented, you're right. I've had cemented shoes resoled before, so I've been taking it for granted that they could be, but thinking back on it I may have just gotten lucky.

Comment

I find it interesting that you had a pair of cemented shoes resoled. I was under the impression that was generally infeasible.

Comment

Reddit GYW would like you to believe that you can't repair/resole a shoe unless it's goodyear welted. It's not necessarily true. Take it to your cobbler and see what they say.

Also, I think I always equated cemented and injection molded soles. Apparently they are not attached in the same manner http://www.hanwag.com/cemented-construction

Comment

Working...
                          X