Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to clean rubber sole of Florsheim Haviland?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to clean rubber sole of Florsheim Haviland?

these: http://www.florsheim.com/shop/style/12084-215.html

I thought about using Armor All tire cleaner but that may make the sole too shiny. Any other ideas?

Soap and water on a sponge?

Comment

Are you trying to clean it or actually return it to its original color after some fading?

If you're just trying to clean it, I'd try the gentlest possible options first. Wiping with a damp cloth may be the simplest. Otherwise, try water with a gentle soap like Dr. Bronner's, followed by a mild vinegar dilution to remove any remaining soap residue.

Milder cleaning agents are probably the best as they are less likely to try out and degrade the rubber prematurely.

Ben

Comment

@BenR - Yes, I'm trying to restore the sole to its original black color because it has faded.

Comment

If it's the bottom of the sole that has faded, I wouldn't worry about restoring it. If it's the edge of the soles, give them a good clean as described above, let them dry thoroughly, and apply some edge dressing. Edge dressing is basically a quick-drying dye that will help restore the edges to their original appearance - you can buy Kiwi's version from any Target or Wal-Mart for about $5, or else look for more specialized brands in specialized shops.

The dye stains and is almost impossible to remove, so be very careful when using it. You will want to prepare a work surface covered with newspaper so you don't accidentally dye any countertops or tables. You may even want to try applying the edge dressing to stuff (scrap wood, cardboard) before you use it on the shoes just to get a feel for how it applies.

Ben

Comment

Yes, it's the edge of the soles. I'll need to buy that Kiwi product. Thanks very much for the info!

Comment

I wouldn't even use Armor All on tires, much less shoes. Another option:

http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline...40000000001_-1

Comment

I didn't make it to Target today so I just ordered the AE one that runner-guy posted...Thanks!

Comment

The AE one is fantastic. That is the one I use on all my shoes. good choice.

Comment

Working...
                  X