Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are brown Strands too flashy for interviewing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• nicholascrawford
    replied

Alan - to answer your question that you're really asking but not saying here explicitly:

BUY MORE SHOES OF EVERY STYLE AND COLOR!

Leave a comment:

• alan
    replied

@Chareth: Or you just have really small feet... (of which I do not.)

Leave a comment:

• Chareth
    replied

@zerostyle: "shoes look a lot simpler once your pants are covering half of the broguing."

If your pants are covering half your shoes, you got them hemmed too long.

Leave a comment:

• pratyk
    replied

@JC .. esp. if it's at a rival school (referring to sports rivalries here)

Leave a comment:

• jason_carreira
    replied

I'll just say that the MBA is the one degree I actually dock points for on a resume

Leave a comment:

• Hardrain
    replied

If you have to ask...yes.

In all seriousness, interviews are very stressful with a ton of things to worry about. Why add another factor of worrying about the shoes? Worst case, they stick out and look strange. Best case, no one notices. I doubt they would help you get hired. Like Maxman said, kill em with style once you are in.

Leave a comment:

• alan
    replied

I've been leaning towards Parks or Fifths from the beginning (or something very similar), but I've got a bead on some very affordable brown Strands so that's how this whole topic came up.

And FWIW, I absolutely love walnut Strands (actually my favorite color of Strands), but I don't have much use for them since that niche is already filled buy a great pair an English tan wingtips.

Leave a comment:

• zerostyle
    replied

I own a pair of the strands in burnished brown, and would say that they are actually rather subtle. I kind of regret not getting them in walnut just because no one ever notices that I have nicer shoes on.

Remember, shoes look a lot simpler once your pants are covering half of the broguing.

If you already own them, I'd say go ahead and do it. If you're buying new, I'd probably just pick up a pair of brown fifth avenues.

Leave a comment:

• alan
    replied

Sure, that's really no problem. The link below my profile icon links directly to my faceboko account. You can send me a message there.

Leave a comment:

• tomservo
    replied

@Alan I am in DC so there are a number of options like that here. Have a lot of research to do still, but would you mind if I sent you an email or facebook message with some more questions?

Leave a comment:

• alan
    replied

@Jordan: Dallas is home to corporate headquarters covering the full style gamut - JC Penney to Neiman Marcus. But moreso, tech/communications and banking are both surprsingly large here.

Leave a comment:

• jordan
    replied

You guys must live in some very dapper towns. Here they would be fine because you can wear Chukkas and still be wearing nicer shoes than anyone else youll come in contact with.

Dressing well = sticking out like a sore thumb in Tennessee.

Leave a comment:

• alan
    replied

@tomservo: Yeah, I'm doing a "professional MBA". It's somewhere between full-time and executive. They're very popular in Texas, but I don't know if they are so much elsewhere. I work full-time and have weekly classes on nights and weekends. I'm still above water, but sometimes it's a real struggle. It all just depends on which class you're taking. Some are easy and some are very very very hard.

Leave a comment:

• tomservo
    replied

My experience owning AE shoes is people will either recognize them and comment or not notice at all. I think Strands would be fine for an interview, and frankly give the otherwise bland interview uniform a bit of personality. Unless you're interviewing with, say, Don Geiss, it won't raise any eyebrows.

On another note, are you doing the MBA while working? How has it been? I've been considering either an executive program or maybe even doing something full time.

Leave a comment:

• MaxMan
    replied

Honestly, i think the IT field gets a bad rap. They are very misunderstood individuals who are rather creative. I speak from experience and having to interview IT personnel when I am auditing a company to understand thier internal controls...Personally i dont think they will notice the broguing details in the cap toe since its a darker color and would just be glanced at during the first impression. I think you shouldnt do it mainly becasue if you have reluctance in your mind about it working, it might trickle to you demeanor when your in the office...That back of the mind thinking like is this off when you should be thinking about answering the questions being asked...Go with the look that makes you most confident IMO...Kill em with your style after you get the gig!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X