Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are brown Strands too flashy for interviewing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are brown Strands too flashy for interviewing?

Obviously Park Avenues and Fifth Avenues are preferable, and walnut Strands would be out of the question, but would brown Strands be acceptable? For all the millions of discussions we've had on the matter of interview attire, I don't recall that this has ever come up. I only bring it up because I've been considering some brown Strands, but they would need to pull double duty as interview shoes since I don't have an unlimited budget, and I can sort of see this playing out either way (depending on exactly how strict you are).

I think its acceptable, but i would certainly keep everything else in the fit subdued. Unlike many i have spoken to, i would wear a navy blue suit/white button down/non-flashy tie/brown shoe...

"The key to Success is the Quality of Execution"
    I>0<I

Comment

My guess would be "probably OK" in your case, since IIRC you don't interview at overly conservative companies.

I have a pair of those brown Strands, and while they are a very dark brown, the brogueing is still quite loud and leans towards the casual side, IMO. I wear them to work and not to interviews, but this is obviously situational to one's industry.

Comment

I'd be impressed if I was interviewing someone who came in wearing Strands. I agree with Max. My go to interviewing set up is typically navy suit, white shirt, quality non flashy tie, and brown shoe.

My cocktail videos >

Comment

@tdig: That's my typical interview outfit, too, but my shoes aren't all brogued out, either. FWIW, I can't picture wingtips as interview shoes, and these are as brogued as wingtips. So that's why I'm on the fence.

Comment

For an IT position? They'll be better than what anyone else is wearing.

Comment

See, that's the thing... I'm currently getting an MBA, and I don't really know who I'll be interviewing for. I may stay within IT in a managerial or consulting capacity, but I may end up doing something completely different. I know I won't be doing accounting, and I'll likely not be in finance, but pretty much everything else is still on the table.

Comment

Honestly, i think the IT field gets a bad rap. They are very misunderstood individuals who are rather creative. I speak from experience and having to interview IT personnel when I am auditing a company to understand thier internal controls...Personally i dont think they will notice the broguing details in the cap toe since its a darker color and would just be glanced at during the first impression. I think you shouldnt do it mainly becasue if you have reluctance in your mind about it working, it might trickle to you demeanor when your in the office...That back of the mind thinking like is this off when you should be thinking about answering the questions being asked...Go with the look that makes you most confident IMO...Kill em with your style after you get the gig!

"The key to Success is the Quality of Execution"
                I>0<I

Comment

My experience owning AE shoes is people will either recognize them and comment or not notice at all. I think Strands would be fine for an interview, and frankly give the otherwise bland interview uniform a bit of personality. Unless you're interviewing with, say, Don Geiss, it won't raise any eyebrows.

On another note, are you doing the MBA while working? How has it been? I've been considering either an executive program or maybe even doing something full time.

Dress for style, live for results.

Comment

@tomservo: Yeah, I'm doing a "professional MBA". It's somewhere between full-time and executive. They're very popular in Texas, but I don't know if they are so much elsewhere. I work full-time and have weekly classes on nights and weekends. I'm still above water, but sometimes it's a real struggle. It all just depends on which class you're taking. Some are easy and some are very very very hard.

Comment

You guys must live in some very dapper towns. Here they would be fine because you can wear Chukkas and still be wearing nicer shoes than anyone else youll come in contact with.

Dressing well = sticking out like a sore thumb in Tennessee.

Comment

@Jordan: Dallas is home to corporate headquarters covering the full style gamut - JC Penney to Neiman Marcus. But moreso, tech/communications and banking are both surprsingly large here.

Comment

@Alan I am in DC so there are a number of options like that here. Have a lot of research to do still, but would you mind if I sent you an email or facebook message with some more questions?

Dress for style, live for results.

Comment

Sure, that's really no problem. The link below my profile icon links directly to my faceboko account. You can send me a message there.

Comment

I own a pair of the strands in burnished brown, and would say that they are actually rather subtle. I kind of regret not getting them in walnut just because no one ever notices that I have nicer shoes on.

Remember, shoes look a lot simpler once your pants are covering half of the broguing.

If you already own them, I'd say go ahead and do it. If you're buying new, I'd probably just pick up a pair of brown fifth avenues.

Comment

Working...
                              X