Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't dislike the whole diver-with-suit thing because it's "not appropriate" or violates some arbitrary fashion rule. I dislike it, in part, because (IMO) it's passe and overdone. It's like the pleated khakis and oversized polo of the world of formal accessories. I also dislike it because the average dress watch is more beautiful and elegant than the average diver - not to mention more understated and less flashy. Despite the fact that the classic high-end formal watch is made from gold or platinum, it's still significantly more discrete and less "blingy" than a dive watch.

I don't mean to knock sports watches. Heaven knows I own plenty, and wear them frequently. Sports watches can be awesome. But all else being equal, a formal watch is a more subtle and tasteful indicator of sartorial sophistication and elegance than a oversized, eye-catching, or overly-complicated watch like a diver, chronograph, or flieger.

Think of it this way - we all own jeans and love them. Jeans are great. But if someone asked you to picture the most elegant, distinguished, and sophisticated man in the world, you're not going to picture him wearing jeans. There is something special about the men's suit, something that sets it apart from all the other stylish and flattering things a man could wear. Dress watches are the same. You don't need to wear one all the time, and in some situations it's probably a distinctly bad idea. Yet the classic dress watch is somehow still apart from and above all the other kinds of watches you might wear, regardless of brand name or price tag.

I don't care if your formal watch is a Timex Easy Reader. It will still look better with your suit than a Rolex Submariner.

Ben

Comment

There's also a continuum... I got the Orient Vintage, which is more formal than a dive watch but less simplified and formal than a dress watch because I wanted to be able to dress it up or down easier:

Comment

that orient is awesome

Comment

@BenR:

In theory I agree with almost everything you said; however, without getting too WIS in this thread, in my mind a dress watch is defined just as much by its profile, width and styling intent, as it is by any of its complications. A Lange 1815 Chrono is a very dressy watch despite the fact that it's a chronograph. Most true luxury watches with complications are very, very dressy. Good examples include JLC's "Master" series of watches, almost all of which have one or more complications.

I completely agree with you about divers, though. They're overplayed and, ironically, wearing a classic dress watch is more unique these days than wearing a sports watch with a suit.

Comment

I'm generally pretty good with acronyms but I'm drawing a blank with this one. What is a WIS?

Comment

Watch Idiot Savant :-)

Ben

Comment

Haha, thanks Ben.

Comment

@BenR - totally agree with you about the dive-watch-with-suit thing being overdone, passe, and somewhat pleated-khaki-esque. Especially when you're talking about Subs and Sub-homages, there's something terribly uninventive and bland about it. I definitely think there's something special, elegant, and just damn sharp about a dress watch with a suit. I was just pointing out that I find it a bit ridiculous the way some WIS-type folk jump on dive watches with suits as breaking the cardinal rule of watches.

By the way - not a dive watch - but I do want to point out that some guys (other than Tom Ford) can make stainless steel and a suit look damn good...

EDIT: Sorry about the size, guys. Couldn't figure out how to make it any smaller so I'm just linking to the image: http://watchesinmovies.info/img/f/MadMen_Rolex2.jpg

Comment

There are certain folks I take their "style" advice with a grain of salt. Not calling anyone in particular out, but i'll dress how I want to and you can dress how you want to. You might be following all the rules to a T, but that doesn't necessarily decide the best look at the end of the night.

Comment

I'm not sure why you're getting hostile and personal about this. Obviously everyone has their own opinions and style, but the context of expectations and rules is out there and some people will notice and that's what we're pointing out.

Comment

Ah, yes... the thinly veiled insult in lieu of a reasoned argument. Don't worry - I can only speak for myself, of course, but rest assured, I take no offense whatsoever.

Ben

Comment

Not trying to insult anybody, just saying that we all have our own interpretations of what looks good and doesn't. I think the rules are moreso guidelines. I've seen things that break style rules and still look great, and i've seen things that technically follow them and still don't like right.

All anyone should worry with is how they feel.

Comment

"we all have our own interpretations of what looks good and doesn't"

Molester moustache = doesn't

Comment

ok?

Comment

Here's the thing... If you're wearing a suit and tie, you're doing so out of respect for convention and a desire to make a certain impression on those around you. It's certainly not the most utilitarian wardrobe. There is no possible practical reason we should hang a colored bit of cloth around our neck as a choking hazard all day.

So, if you're already following conventions and being influenced by what others / society thinks... why does that stop at your wrist? If you feel that society's expectations have no bearing on you, then go the John Galliano / Karl Lagerfeld road and no-one can really advise you or say what you're doing is wrong. If you choose to go with societal norms of dress then make whatever style choices you'd like but make sure they're conscious decisions and they take into account the broader social context.

Comment

Working...
                                X