No announcement yet.

Allen Edmonds Acquired by Famous Footwear's Parent Company

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For what it's worth the sale linked on the main page is working, stackable code and gift cards one and all. Walnut Strands for 215 plus tax.
    https://www.professorhorseyhead.com

Comment

Originally posted by armedferret View Post
      guess my timeline for "the next couple pairs" just got bumped. think i'll head to the new clarksburg store on sunday for those liverpools i've been wanting. walnut strands and.......eh, meermin from here out i suppose. :\
      There's an AE outlet in clarksburg??? I live right by Leesburg, which doesn't have an AE, so I never bothered looking at what clarksburg has. Now a reason to visit!

Comment

Originally posted by firemunkee View Post
        There's an AE outlet in clarksburg??? I live right by Leesburg, which doesn't have an AE, so I never bothered looking at what clarksburg has. Now a reason to visit!
        Yessir! Top level of the outlets.
        https://www.professorhorseyhead.com

Comment

I bet they start making square toe shoes with white sneaker soles

Comment

Originally posted by BillN View Post
            Put A&E in malls, playing up the history and the name and charge the same money for cheaper shoes sold to more people = better margins for parent company.
            Most people I know think that AEs are very expensive shoes to begin with, so there's no way that by just placing more stores in malls it will draw more customers. Lower the quality and, in this internet age, the word will spread so fast that the type of people that buy their shoes now will mostly stop.

Comment

This is very sad. I hope the quality doesn't take a hit.

Comment

Originally posted by Spex View Post
                Most people I know think that AEs are very expensive shoes to begin with, so there's no way that by just placing more stores in malls it will draw more customers. Lower the quality and, in this internet age, the word will spread so fast that the type of people that buy their shoes now will mostly stop.
                Stop looking at it through your narrow lens & look at say Coke Hahn, who used to make nice shoes, and still has less nice shoes that "retail" between $300 and $400.

People buy them in droves and they think they are good shoes, AND they got a deal when they "only" paid $200 for a "$400 shoe."

People who read menswear blogs & forums (and current AE customers)are a very small drop in a very big retail barrel.

Will this happen with AE? Who knows, but watch for news on the WI factory first. Cutting jobs/production there will be the canary in the coal mine.
                Don’t call what your wearing an outfit. Don’t ever say your car is broke.
                Don’t sing with a fake British accent. Don’t act like your family’s a joke.
                --Jason Isbell

Comment

Comment

Maybe someone should start a protest movement against the merger. The political climate is right for it.

Comment

Originally posted by ryn View Post
                      Maybe someone should start a protest movement against the merger. The political climate is right for it.
                      Good point! Although they might have to start laying off workers in Wisconsin and offshoring more jobs to the DR before anyone would protest. It could be a good cause for the president-elect to adopt if they did, given that Wisconsin was one of the three swing states that carried the election for him.

Comment

If I was a betting man, I'd wager on a small line of made in USA shoes remaining at a premium price point, and the bulk of the brand pushed offshore.
                        This has basically been what's happened to Johnston and Murphy - their Crown Aristocraft line is made in the USA and is still at least on a par with AE and is even more expensive (equivalent MSRP but without the frequent sales) but they only make black shoes and there are about three models. Even if you add in the Custom Select line - where the purchaser can choose different sizes on each foot and gets a bunch of extras thrown in, too - there are 10 or fewer options, I believe. The Aristocraft line (Hyde Park, Aldwych) is a sort of intermediate level between the CA and the regular J&M line - it's goodyear welted with decent leathers, but is made in India, if I recall correctly. I don't think they're bad shoes, but they're too pricy at $275 considering how much lower the labor costs on them must be. Perhaps the same is true of the Handcrafted in Italy line, which I think uses decent leathers and has some very interesting styles, but is mostly "bond welted."

Florshiem at least pretends to have done this, too, as it still has its Limited Edition, Imperial, and Royal Imperial lines, all of which are still goodyear welted. But I don't think any of them are made in the USA. Perhaps the Royal Imperial line is. At least on the Imperial line, I think the leathers are somewhat ropy, too, as they're quite shiny. Not quite J&M Melton shiny, but shiny nonetheless.

Comment

Yeah, that's true about the small size of the customer base - although I do think that more upper-middle class men are open to the idea that they should buy quality clothes than in the past. I just got asked to be in a wedding party, and the groom - and more importantly the bride - asked me for my input on clothing options. At first, I thought they wanted a $150 suit from Mens Wearhouse or Macys, but I explained the benefits of half-canvas construction, slimmer fits, and nicer fabrics, and they were definitely sold on SuitSupply after that. Although the groom isn't yet sure whether he'll be able to fit a SuitSupply suit. The bride wants the whole wedding party to wear the same suit, so I talked my way out of $400 if they do end up going with SuitSupply! Fortunately, they are looking at a mid-dark but far from navy option, which would at least not duplicate suits I already own.

Agreed on the outsourcing. There's no immediate need to panic, but if there's an announcement that AE is offshoring labor and/or cutting the number of steps in the production process, we'll all have to buy off the existing stock and then move on to other manufacturers. I go to the UK once a year or so, so it wouldn't matter much to me. I've been meaning to try Loake, anyway.

People who read menswear blogs & forums (and current AE customers)are a very small drop in a very big retail barrel.

Will this happen with AE? Who knows, but watch for news on the WI factory first. Cutting jobs/production there will be the canary in the coal mine.

Comment

Trying not to be too gloom & doom about the whole thing, but it does seem like there's downside than upside to the acquisition. That said, if the downside scenario ends up being the J&M model (which I agree is most likely), as long as I can still get the AE classic line-up, made in WI the same quality and price point as today, I'll happily ignore any imported diffusion lines they introduce.

All that said, I'll definitely be accelerating a couple of purchases I've been considering and can already feel myself fighting the urge to buy back-ups for my current shoes.
                            “There are moments, Jeeves, when one asks oneself, 'Do trousers matter?'"
                            "The mood will pass, sir.”

Comment

I think the AE factory was one of the things they were interested in. Do I doubt they are going to shut it down. They might also make some of their other brands there.

I would be surprised if they don't expand the recraftable™ program.

What I would worry about is the Shoe bank and prices.

Comment

This exact kind of pressure happened to Bass, Dexter, Nunn Bush, Florsheim, Cole Hann, Johnston & Murphy, Hanover, Bostonian, Sebago, and hundreds of other companies I can't think of. All 9 I have listed are only a shell of their former selves. They've been GUTTED by corporate interests. No one these days wants Nunn Bush because they are horrible, but they used to actually make fairly good shoes.

All you guys that are trying to see this in some naive optimistic way, please remember that this liquidation and extermination of American manufacturing shoe companies has been a formula that's been followed for at more than forty years.

The only two that are actually left standing have been Alden and Allen Edmonds. Seems like Alden will be the last hold out.

Article from 1986, U.S. Shoe Business Is Booming--With Imports : New England Plants Closed, Workers Fired as Firms Use Cheap Foreign Labor

http://afistfulofstyle.tumblr.com/po...funct-american

Comment

Working...
                                X