Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Allen Edmonds Acquired by Famous Footwear's Parent Company

https://www.biztimes.com/2016/12/13/...r-255-million/

As with most acquisitions, only time will tell if this is good or bad news for Allen Edmonds.

Hmmmmm, does this tend to mean prices will rise/fall or quality standards?

What has happened in previous examples of this happening?

Comment

Originally posted by SWong37 View Post
      Hmmmmm, does this tend to mean prices will rise/fall or quality standards?

What has happened in previous examples of this happening?
      Look up Nettleton, Florsheim, Hanover, Bostonian, Cole Haan and Johnston and Murphy. Great American brands that exist in name only (except for Hanover which no longer exists). There is only one logical outcome when a company like Calares purchases a company like AE.
      You can never have enough shoes

Comment

^ Agreed. There are too many good European brands (Meermin, Carmina, JFitzpatrick) around the same price range who I can trust to make solid shoes in the future. Why should I continue riding on a sinking ship?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Don't forget British brands such as Loake or Barker, either. And there's also the huge swathe of even more expensive British brands, from Cheanley and Trickers through Alfred Sargent and Crockett and Jones to John Lobb and Edward Green.

This definitely doesn't sound like good news for AE, but let's hope that it doesn't turn out as bad as the other buyouts did.

Originally posted by CMAc7 View Post
          ^ Agreed. There are too many good European brands (Meermin, Carmina, JFitzpatrick) around the same price range who I can trust to make solid shoes in the future. Why should I continue riding on a sinking ship?

Comment

Unless Caleres is interested (which I doubt based on their brands and the fact that they are all made in China) in keeping AE exclusive, at least as exclusive as it is now, and in keeping production in the US, then this really is a doom and gloom scenario. Companies like that are all about the bottom line. And if that bottom line means making shoes in Asia and selling them at JC Penney's then that's what it is. How sad that AE was not purchased by Alden, or one of the Northampton companies.
            Last edited by MNJ83; December 14, 2016, 12:26 AM.
            You can never have enough shoes

Comment

Originally posted by CMAc7 View Post
              Why should I continue riding on a sinking ship?
              This is hyper-cynical. What do you care if AE turns to trash in a decade? That was always a possibility. If they make shoes you like with quality you demand and a price you will pay, that should be enough for you to choose them. Why do you care if they'll make quality shoes in the future if they make quality shoes *now*?

This just feels like brand snobbery to me.

Comment

I saw the post on Styleforum regarding this sale and they've actually been bought/sold three times in the last ten years. I don't think it's fair to judge that AE has been bought this time until we've given it a chance.

Comment

Hmm. I wonder what this will mean for the quality of the shoes. And if there is going to be a price difference and quality difference, if I shouldn't pick up a pair of shoes NOW before the whole manufacturing process changes.

Comment

I think that AE has a loyal following and not much competition in its niche segment of the market. Also they list the number of steps in the manufacturing process. If they change the number, we will know.

There is not much reason to worry.

Comment

Looks like I'll be upping my shoe game, if they lower theirs.

Comment

AE has clearly invested a lot of money and time into their US manufacturing plant. Unless the shoes start to be labelled as made somewhere other than the US, I think they quality will be pretty well the same. There wouldn't be a cheaper place in the US to start manufacturing their shoes at the volumes they make. Having said this, I do believe some of their shoes that are labeled as Made in the USA actually start off in the Dominican Republic, or somewhere like that, and then are shipped to their US factory to be finished.

Comment

Allen Edmonds Acquired by Famous Footwear's Parent Company

Originally posted by dpark View Post
                          This is hyper-cynical. What do you care if AE turns to trash in a decade? That was always a possibility. If they make shoes you like with quality you demand and a price you will pay, that should be enough for you to choose them. Why do you care if they'll make quality shoes in the future if they make quality shoes *now*?

This just feels like brand snobbery to me.
                          You mistake quality snobbery for brand snobbery. If you must paint me with a wide brush, quality snob is the one I prefer.

Last edited by CMAc7; December 14, 2016, 07:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Spex View Post
                            I think they quality will be pretty well the same.
                            mark my words, they will start by using more bonded leathers, and outsourcing more and more to DR, and then to india, and it will just worse and worse and snowball until an AE shoe is equivalent to a florsheim from india.

it's going to be a really wild horrible ride guys.

Comment

I am going to take a different route than everyone. AE currently makes shoes in the US and shoes in the DR. AE is a premium shoe name for those used to purchasing shoes from the normal retailers like Macy's, JCP, and others. Since everyone can't afford the Made in US line, they can afford the DR line. The company has the opportunity to sell a premium name at a cheaper price with their Made in DR line. They could keep their Made in US line at the higher price and quality while making more shoes in the DR line to reach more people.

This would be the Johnston and Murphy route, from what I know about that brand, so we could see AE go that way. Maybe Paul will do another AMA on reddit to answer questions people may have.

Comment

Working...
                              X