No announcement yet.

hunting for a lightweight, hooded, waxed cotton (or similar) jacket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks, guys. I'm pretty sure this jacket is a keeper unless one of the newcomers really blows it out of the water. I'm running out of weather to use it here in Colorado but if this summer is anything like last summer, I'll have a solid month and a half of wet spring/summer weather to test it out once I head back to Montana.

@ ZachL That's a pretty sweet coat, especially the hardware. The color is really cool, too. I wish some of these jackets I've been looking at came in more interesting colors. I agree that black isn't the best and it might not have been my first choice, but I own so few items of black clothing (outside of shoes and watches) that I feel like it's ok to bust it out every once in a while. Especially since it's really the traditional color for waxed motorcycle jackets like this.

Ben

Comment

Yeah, my Barbour motorcycle jacket is the only black thing I've got and it's okay... Really like that one @BenR. Nice fit.

Comment

Zach, I had my eye on that same Ben Sherman jacket last year (but in navy blue), but I just couldn't get myself to pull the trigger and I regret it a little.

Ben, good to see that jacket fits you well. I'm usually a 38R and I typically end up in smalls at JC if I want a fitted look, which is why I thought it might have ended up too large on you.

Comment

Got the Kakadu in the mail today. I was disappointed to see that the jacket is actually "designed in Australia, made in China." I guess that helps to explain the low cost.

The construction and materials both feel very solid. The material is noticeably heavier (12oz cotton) and has a much waxier feel to it, presumably because it's brand new. The collar is lined in leather, which I think is a nice touch compared to corduroy.

Unfortunately the fit is completely off (or maybe that's fortunate in this situation). I went with an XS, and even that is much too large and boxy on me. The shoulders are close to fitting, but there is a ton of excess material in the back and under the arms. The armholes are also very low and the sleeves are very long and baggy. The belt is a mixed blessing, as it helps to delineate an actual waistline, but causes the back to balloon rather badly.

In short this one's headed straight back to the store.

P.S. It's about 60┬░ and partly cloudy here today - walking around with the J.Crew Millerain wasn't too hot, though I definitely wouldn't want to wear it in temps any warmer than this.

Ben

Comment

The Derwent arrived. It's a beautiful jacket - it just oozes quality (...and wax).

Unfortunately it's also shaped like a box. So it's a sad/happy day: Sad that Barbour will probably not work for me, happy that I get my $400 back. Since I'm trekking to the mall to return it this afternoon anyway, I think I'll try on the Winslow if they have it in-store.

Pardon my sweatpants, I'm in omg-the-week-before-finals mode this morning.

Ben

Comment

Ding ding ding... and we have our winner. Introducing the J.Crew Winslow jacket:

Lighter weight cotton, half chambray lining instead of full flannel, good color, nice contrasting buttons, hooded, tons of pockets, and the XS fits like a glove. As an added bonus, it includes double vents, which give my ghetto booty some extra room. And it's less than half the price of the Barbour Derwent.

Now I just need to flip the Millerain jacket and I will have achieved jacket equilibrium.

Ben

Comment

Ben, what's your height/weight, and what size is that Millerain jacket? I was looking at it a long time ago when it was in the $300 range. Wouldn't mind picking one up for casual wear.

-Z

Comment

@ zerostyle I'm 5'9" and about 145 lbs, most of which I carry in my legs and rear. I normally wear a 36R jacket. The Millerain is a small. I can provide garment measurements later tonight if you want them.

P.S. I'd probably ask $94 for it. I bought it for $71 + $11 shipping, and I'm guessing it will cost ~$12 to ship. Not looking to make a profit here, just hoping to break even.

Ben

Comment

Hmm... you think I could fit in it @ 5'9/160?

Comment

I hate to speculate on that kind of thing. I'll give you the measurements when I get home tonight and you can compare it to something you own that fits you well.

Ben

Comment

BTW, I have this Zara jacket if anyone is interested. Size 38, fits like a small. Brand new with tags - got it as a gift.

Was $130 new, open to any offers.

Comment

Ben - Thanks. I generally have fit most JCrew stuff in small, so it's prob ok. I'll call dibs for now until I get measurements though

Comment

Sorry for the delay. Measurements are:

17.5" shoulder to shoulder

29" length from collar bottom

26" sleeve length

19.5" across chest from 1" under armpits

18.5" waist

Ben

Comment

BenR, I'm glad that Windslow jacket worked out for you. Fits perfectly it appears. Is the grey a new colorway they rolled out? I've only seen navy, but I may just pull the trigger for the grey version. The XS fits me perfectly as well, and it really is a great spring jacket.

I'm glad you see the errors of those Barbour jackets.. those fit pretty horrifically unfortunately.

Comment

@ ZachL That's actually the blue Winslow jacket, I think the lighting in my bathroom might just be washing the color out a little. I definitely prefer the navy to black, though.

Ben

Comment

Working...
                                X