Help w/Omega Seamaster...fake?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help w/Omega Seamaster...fake?

I came across this listing for an Omega Seamaster and the price is falling in the too good to be true category.

My main concern is that I can't find an image of this watch that has either the white date window (they seem to be black) or this clasp on the bracelet.

Anyone know better?

(EDIT) Found the model with white date window & appears to be a Speedmaster bracelet. That bracelet sells for more than the watch's list price!

Last edited by BillN; November 28, 2016, 02:38 AM.
    Don’t call what your wearing an outfit. Don’t ever say your car is broke.
    Don’t sing with a fake British accent. Don’t act like your family’s a joke.
    --Jason Isbell

Hard to tell but the finishing on the movement does not appear to be at nearly the level I would expect from an Omega coaxial movement.

Placement of the date window is also suspicious. Note it is totally out of alignment with the other hour markers - very aesthetically jarring, a concession made for a $300 replica, not a $3,000+ original design. And while there was formerly a model with a blue dial and white date wheel, I'm not sure that combo has ever existed with the more recent teak (pinstripe looking) dial.

Hard pass overall, in my non-expert opinion.
    Last edited by LesserBlackDog; November 28, 2016, 10:32 AM.
    Ben

Comment

Originally posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
      Placement of the date window is also suspicious.

Hard pass overall, in my non-expert opinion.
      I concur - without checking precedent, the date window being so far inside (vs. being toward the outer portion of the dial) and the undecorated movement strike me as immediate red flags, likely meaning the movement is a Chinese or other cheap movement made for a smaller watch and stuck in the larger (prob also fake) Seamaster case. Paired with a too good to be true price, it's likely too good to be true... Plenty of other smaller things that I won't go into detail on as well.

Comment

Pass on it. Any seller with good intentions would provide you with the reference number so you could find any technical information they may not have provided. I also happen to own a fake Omega from years ago when I didn't care and just wanted the looks of the watch. This thing screams fake to me.

Comment

Thanks all. Appreciate the insight. Seller hasn't responded to my questions either.
          --Jason Isbell

Comment

I've looked at the 'Fake' high-end watches before - and especially with Omega & Rolex, the initial quality looks incredible. So if you even *think* it might be fake, it probably is.

Good looking watch though! If they were asking <$200, I would say go for it.

Comment

Definitely Fake. Even the clasp is a stamped piece of metal, not the forged style Omega has been using since the 90's on some of their watches.
              Hard pass, and if it's being marketed as genuine, I'd report it so someone else does't get screwed over.

Comment

Great advice here, especially the technical details from [MENTION=2341]LesserBlackDog[/MENTION] [MENTION=2622]hornsup84[/MENTION] and [MENTION=13722]Alex.C[/MENTION]. The only thing I have to add is the old adage of if it is too good to be true, it probably is. While I concur with the others here to take a pass, out of curiosity what other information did you gather from/about the seller?

Comment

Seller never got back to me, but I greatly appreciate all the comments/advice.

The thing is, if that bracelet is authentic, it might be worth buying it just to flip the bracelet.

But, no response anyway.
                  --Jason Isbell

Comment

Originally posted by BillN View Post
                    Seller never got back to me, but I greatly appreciate all the comments/advice.

The thing is, if that bracelet is authentic, it might be worth buying it just to flip the bracelet.

But, no response anyway.
                    As a heads up the bracelet is fake also. It should be a butterfly clasp like this:

Comment

Originally posted by Perseus View Post
                      As a heads up the bracelet is fake also. It should be a butterfly clasp like this:

Thanks. It clearly isn't a Seamaster bracelet, but it might be a Speedmaster bracelet:

But, given the rest of the issues, and the fact that I never got a reply to initial inquiry, I'm going to assume the bracelet was also a knock off...
                      --Jason Isbell

Comment

Working...
                      X