Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How worn do you let your boots/shoes get before replacing?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    How worn do you let your boots/shoes get before replacing?

    Here are my Red Wing's:
    http://imgur.com/a/HR16D

    I bought them before i knew about shoe/boot care and wore them out during crazy drinking nights when i was younger. They were also used off ebay to begin with.

    I am buying Red Wing Beckmans. I am debating about getting the Rustic J crew
    http://imgur.com/a/IOiNx

    or just getting burgudny to replace my Iron Rangers.


    So, my question. How beat up looking do you let your boots get before you replace them? I wear these with jeans and an oxford to work, so i dont want to look like im wearing old trashed out clothes at a corporate office.

    #2
    Did you condition and shoe tree them?

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by devastitis View Post
      Did you condition and shoe tree them?
      These have been in a box in my apartment and unused for years. I got them when i was 22 and did not take care of them at all. They were an ebay buy when i was super young. I remember they were an absurd deal for used boots

      Comment


        #4
        Those could have definitely have used some shoe trees. They may be salvageable. http://www.primermagazine.com/2016/s...ondition-boots

        So, you may be able to keep your old boots in rotation and still pick up a new pair if you'd like. As for how beat up my boots get before I ditch, depends on how much I like them.

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by batkins9 View Post
          Those could have definitely have used some shoe trees. They may be salvageable. http://www.primermagazine.com/2016/s...ondition-boots

          So, you may be able to keep your old boots in rotation and still pick up a new pair if you'd like. As for how beat up my boots get before I ditch, depends on how much I like them.
          So, im making a black friday purchase as i can get them cheap. Should i go with Beckmans in Cordovan/Burgudny to replace my above shoe? And bank on resalvagingg them?

          And then use the money i set aside for those to get the J Crew Beckman in this color
          http://imgur.com/a/IOiNx

          or suede wolvies
          http://imgur.com/a/D7R2N

          Comment


            #6
            They seem salvageable to me, but they need new heels and likely new soles based on the state of the heels. Clean them up, condition them, and polish them (and stick some shoe trees in them). Then decide if they look good enough to you to justify the cost of resoling or at least re-heeling.

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by jack90 View Post
              So, im making a black friday purchase as i can get them cheap. Should i go with Beckmans in Cordovan/Burgudny to replace my above shoe? And bank on resalvagingg them?

              And then use the money i set aside for those to get the J Crew Beckman in this color
              http://imgur.com/a/IOiNx

              or suede wolvies
              http://imgur.com/a/D7R2N
              I like the suede boots, but that's me. Which are you leaning toward?

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by batkins9 View Post
                I like the suede boots, but that's me. Which are you leaning toward?
                I have a wolverine 1000 Mile in Black. These are my favorite possession to be honest. I wear them all the time to work, but need a brown boot as i cant wear black boots all the time. its kind of limiting.

                I have the Beckmans in the above picture.

                I would like a Burgundy/Oxblood boot to wear on dates/nice nights out.. If i can salvage the Beckmans abovoe, I will wear those as my date/nice night out with friends boot. Then I will buy the J Crew Beckman in Rustic tan or IR in Amber Harness to wear to work. For work shoes, i want something nice... but a steal. i can get those two colors and shoes for like 150ish right now.

                If the beckmans are too beat to wear to dates, I will buy the brown suede wolverine for dates/casual night outs and use the beckman to wear to work with my black wolverine. I will then start snipping a replacement beckman.

                i wouldnt want to wear suede boots to work all teh time
                Last edited by jack90; November 26, 2016, 06:25 PM.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by jack90 View Post
                  I have a wolverine 1000 Mile in Black. These are my favorite possession to be honest. I wear them all the time to work, but need a brown boot as i cant wear black boots all the time. its kind of limiting.

                  I have the Beckmans in the above picture.

                  I would like a Burgundy/Oxblood boot to wear on dates/nice nights out.. If i can salvage the Beckmans abovoe, I will wear those as my date/nice night out with friends boot. Then I will buy the J Crew Beckman in Rustic tan or IR in Amber Harness to wear to work. For work shoes, i want something nice... but a steal. i can get those two colors and shoes for like 150ish right now.

                  If the beckmans are too beat to wear to dates, I will buy the brown suede wolverine for dates/casual night outs and use the beckman to wear to work with my black wolverine. I will then start snipping a replacement beckman.

                  i wouldnt want to wear suede boots to work all teh time
                  Yeah, I have a pair of suede oxfords that I wear sometimes to work, but not all the time, as you say.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Buying quality footwear allows restoration and increased longevity. You need to replace the soles, condition, polish and start using shoe trees. Whether it's worth the expense to you is another question, but those boots would look good with some TLC.

                    I wouldn't wear them to work in that condition.


                    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by dpark View Post
                      They seem salvageable to me, but they need new heels and likely new soles based on the state of the heels. Clean them up, condition them, and polish them (and stick some shoe trees in them). Then decide if they look good enough to you to justify the cost of resoling or at least re-heeling.
                      I agree with this.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by jack90 View Post
                        Here are my Red Wing's:
                        http://imgur.com/a/HR16D

                        I bought them before i knew about shoe/boot care and wore them out during crazy drinking nights when i was younger. They were also used off ebay to begin with.

                        I am buying Red Wing Beckmans. I am debating about getting the Rustic J crew
                        http://imgur.com/a/IOiNx

                        or just getting burgudny to replace my Iron Rangers.


                        So, my question. How beat up looking do you let your boots get before you replace them? I wear these with jeans and an oxford to work, so i dont want to look like im wearing old trashed out clothes at a corporate office.
                        I like patina in a casual boot. There is a difference in patina and neglect though. I bet they would look great with some conditioning. Maybe not office wear, but maybe so. Not in current condition for sure.

                        Originally posted by jack90 View Post
                        So, im making a black friday purchase as i can get them cheap. Should i go with Beckmans in Cordovan/Burgudny to replace my above shoe? And bank on resalvagingg them?

                        And then use the money i set aside for those to get the J Crew Beckman in this color
                        http://imgur.com/a/IOiNx

                        or suede wolvies
                        http://imgur.com/a/D7R2N
                        those suede look very nice but I dont consider suede as versatile as most people on here do. I mean, they go with a lot but they are also kind of a distinct piece. That shade of brown is really good though.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          im thinking of patching up the ones i have. then getting one of these for work

                          http://imgur.com/a/lDBe7

                          the 1st is an IR and the 2nd pair is a beckman. the beckman from jcrew. the 2nd pair i can get pretty cheap.

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X