To Roll or Not To Roll?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To Roll or Not To Roll?

I just received my first pair of Bonobos jeans, and while I like the fit, they are a couple inches too long. I'm not sure if I should roll them, or get them hemmed. If I get them hemmed I'm not sure if the finished seam will be an issue for my tailor. What would you guys do? Is there any instructional on properly rolling jeans?

Personally I'm not a fan of the rolling of any pants and jeans especially so. I'd get them hemmed, a good tailor should be have no issue with it.

But I notice that rolling cuffs seems to be in among the younger crowd and especially so with selvedge jeans to show off the seam edges.

The two styles I've seen are a one fold cuff (think french cuff) and a roll (like rolling up sleeves on a barrel cuff)

Dress for style, live for results.

Comment

Try the rolled at first and see if you like that. If you don't, it'll be pretty easy to get them hemmed later.

Comment

I'm not a fan of rolling personally, a little too hipstery for me.

Comment

I had the same thing with Bonobos jeans. I've been rolling them, which works depending on my mood / style for the evening. However I'll probably get at least my lighter pair (dark wash.. not the really dark one) ones hemmed.

Comment

I don't, but Mr. Craig does frequently, including in The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and on set of Skyfall:

Comment

Isn't there a difference between rolling (cf. http://www.jcrew.com/mens_category/p...891/65891.jsp_ and just folding upwards like the Craig photo above? I like the contrast it gives on dark jeans, but I can't see it on stuff that's the same color on the inside (e.g. khakis)

Comment

If you want tailored and sleek, go for hemmed. If you want rugged and hard working, you cuff or roll them. If you usually wear normal shoes with them (unless you're going for a high waters look, normally better with khakis than jeans) I'd say hemming is more appropriate. If you wear boots a lot, cuffed or rolled looks quite good.

Lastly, if you're tall, you can get away with either but if you're on the shorter end of the spectrum I'd say hemmed is usually better.

Just do not only cuff/roll one pant leg. Now THAT is a hipster look.

Comment

Isn't Craig wearing Scotch & Soda's, which come like that?

Comment

@Webbfan87 Yes, turning up is what Craig does, rolling is when it is folded or rolled two or more times to hide the bottom hem. I think of them as a similar look when done on jeans, which is why I brought up Craig's, but yes, there is a difference.

@Jordan He is wearing Scotch & Soda jeans, both on that cover and his jeans in TGwtDT. I don't think, however, that many of theirs come that way. I think it is just a few pairs that they sell already turned up.

Comment

Cannon lives by the rule of "WWJD"... "what would James do" ;-)

Comment

Yeah, I think I'm just going to get them hemmed. I think they were intentionally made longer to be rolled, but I just can't pull of the look.

Comment

@Alan Quite true! That and WWDSD, or What Would Daniel's Stylists Do? (I find his personal tastes to be a bit icky with his Nike's and baggy faded jeans, but his costume stylists for films usually get me interested and inspired).

Side note: some of my favorite film wardrobes, as I've mentioned before are also from Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows Part 1 and Children of Men. The costume designer on those films, Jany Temime, is hard at work on SkyFall. Bond and a costume designer I love = incredible!

Comment

On the side topic of H'wood and stylists, I recently read a GQ article about how stylists prep their clients for events. It also mentioned that Ryan Gosling is one of the few actors not to have a stylist - pretty kool if you ask me. Plus, his wardrobe is sick in almost anything he appears in...

Comment

Working...
                            X