In praise of ... The JCP Stafford Deacon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In praise of ... The JCP Stafford Deacon

I felt compelled to write this post because a) I'd rather think about anything other than that small-handed maniac becoming the most powerful person in the world, and b) I saw a post on the main site reviewing some recently released JCP Chukka boots.

So, yeah, I'm basically just posting to say that the JCP Stafford Deacons are absolutely magnificent boots for the price. I was extremely skeptical when I bought them because I didn't know where a brogue boot would fit into my wardrobe, and I just didn't expect much for the price (think I paid around $40) or JCP in general. I was wrong on both counts. Got a buttload of wear out of these last winter through to the onset of spring, and they have held up remarkably well for a cheap shoe. As Joe said in his review, the leather is freakishly good for the price, and they are comfortable right out of the box. I've had a lot of compliments on these too, way more than I get on more expensive pairs I own.

So, aye, if you're in the market for a pair of boots and don't want to splurge, go ahead and get these.

Here are mine. Applied some dark brown shoe cream last night to deepen the color.

Anyone else here had similar luck with these? What do you wear them with? I tend to go slim jeans, a shirt, and a blazer, but sure they could do more.

I recently bought a pair and like them a lot, but the sizing is way off. I wear an 8 in all of my shoes, and a size 7 in stafford deacons is still a little big.

Comment

yes, they are good. I think that's pretty much the universal consensus.
      I wear mine with navy or charcoal chinos to work or church.
      the insole on these is very good, i love the soft feel.

This did come up in another thread, but I think calling them boots is a stretch. they are really just hightop dress shoes IMO. there isn't enough structure or support in the upper part to make them something you could wear as an outdoor shoe.

Comment

I recently obtained a pair of these for the princely sum of $47, and I have to say I don't think I've ever gotten better value out of a shoe purchase. Have I bought better quality shoes? You bet, but the value equation for the price is unbelievable. I usually wear anything from a 10.5-11, the 10.5's in these are comfy as can be. The leather is nice, but a little too uniform out of the box. I put two coats of some red meltonian cream on them and they look fantastic. I'm thinking this will be my primary work shoe this winter.

Comment

Got a pic?

Comment

I have the Gunnar cap toe version and they are definitely a great value. I will say that after a long day I wish there was a better footbed, but for approx $45 I can't complain.

Comment

I just ordered a pair last night for $45. I'm debating whether to go with black polish and try to get a more bourbon color or to do red polish and get a more red/brown color. Either way I'll try to post pics when I'm finished.

Comment

Originally posted by mmgfarb View Post
                I just ordered a pair last night for $45. I'm debating whether to go with black polish and try to get a more bourbon color or to do red polish and get a more red/brown color. Either way I'll try to post pics when I'm finished.
                How'd you get them for $45?

Comment

Originally posted by SWong37 View Post
                  How'd you get them for $45?
                  On sale for $60 and 25% off

Comment

Originally posted by ScotsmanInBrooklyn View Post
                    Got a pic?
                    I'll try to post a pic tomorrow

Comment

I've had mine for 2.5 years now and well worth the money. The leather was quite dry and a little lifeless looking at first but I conditioned them and then polished them with cognac Meltonian 6 times over the first week or two and they licked up a lot of life. As someone else said, I get as many complements on my Deacons as I do any of my more expensive shoes. They run very large and I had to add a thick insole to mine, which helps with the hard footbed. They also have a very large diameter shaft that is way to big even when laced totally closed at the top, but again they run large and I probably need a full size smaller than I have so that might be mitigated a little with the correct size.

Comment

I have had my gunners for over a year. I wear them almost every time it rains or snows to work. They look great for the most part. The only disappointment is the edge of the sole, mine is turning grey and is roughed up quite a bit. But for 50 dollar boots, I would say that they have been the best bang for my buck pair of footwear since I wore my jordans into the pavement back in my high school days.

Comment

Have had mine for a couple years and agree with everyone here. When they wear out I will probably upgrade to Jack Erwin or AE Dalton 2nds, but until then I'm loving them.

I swapped out the original laces for Allen Edmonds waxed laces. Cheap upgrade, looks good.

Comment

Iphone pics before and after application of red meltonian. Pretty hard to tell from the pics, but the red gave the boots some much needed depth and shine.

Comment

Originally posted by 300e View Post
                              Iphone pics before and after application of red meltonian. Pretty hard to tell from the pics, but the red gave the boots some much needed depth and shine.

Nice. I might give that a shot myself.

Also, cute dogs.

Comment

Working...
                              X