Camel Blazer/Sweater?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Camel Blazer/Sweater?

hello. i've been reading the site for months, but never really felt compelled to participate in discussion - until now! i've got a bit of a wardrobe conundrum. i have a camel peacoat in the sort of camel you see in essentially all cashmere coats (it's not cashmere). it's that sort of vibrant, deep beige hue. that said, i've had a hell of a time locating this same color, or even anything similar, in a v-neck or a sport coat, so that i can still have it as a wardrobe option even without a heavy winter coat. i have a merona blazer that gets a lot of love around here in both colors, but find the khaki a little too... bland. it's that normal boring khaki color that all generic khakis are. what i really love about my coat is how much more stand-out it is, while still being fairly subdued.

does anyone have any advice about where to find a sport coat or sweater in a deep camel/cashmere overcoat kinda color? i watch ebay like a hawk, and have searched all the conventional retail/online outlets, with little luck. the only option i have at the moment is h&m, as they seem to love making mens' clothing in that almost-orange camel color, but a) their sizing can be a little odd, b) their quality is questionable, and c) i try to avoid pieces that are too recognizably from a certain shop, especially one so prone to transient trendiness (see also: express).

thanks!

http://www.shopstyle.com/browse?fts=camel+blazer

Comment

Can you post a picture to get a better idea of the color? A quick search brought up lots of camel colored sports coats at various prices.

Dress for style, live for results.

Comment

Is your existing coat, by chance, genuine camel hair? "Camel" as a color seems to be widely interpreted, but usually, when I see the color you're referring to, it's in a genuine camel hair item. Thus, the easiest way to duplicate it is by buying another camel hair item. However, they tend to be thicker like a cashmere jacket so they're definitely for cooler weather.

Comment

Depending on your budget, this would be a premium choice:

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Merchant_Id=1&Section_Id= 513&Parent_Id=305&Product_Id=1574963&default_color =Camel

(Of course, I could never justify paying that much for a single sweater, and I'd be surprised if anyone here could, either.)

Comment

http://www.icollector.com/Jon-Hamm-Don-Draper-vintage-cashmere-overcoat-from-Mad-Men_i10499697

ignore the mad men thing. i googled cashmere overcoat and that was the most fitting result as far as colors go. mine is waist-length, though. shopstyle is something i actually have not heard of, so that's quite useful! or, it would be, if all the suitable options weren't far too expensive.

alan, the sweater you linked is more of the camel that i frequently see in stores (and actually have a v-neck sweater in already). it's a kind of a dull heathered beige. my coat isn't camel hair, but more and more, it's seeming like aside from camel hair and cashmere, there aren't really affordable options for this sort of thing. it's puzzling; it's an excellent color that gets surprisingly little representation in menswear, aside from overcoats.

that said, i've no experience with genuine camel hair. would you say it's like tweed in that it's on the heavier side and not suitable for a year-round sports coat? i live in ohio, and while it's not tropical, it does get quite hot here during late spring through early fall.

Comment

I would say it's more like cashmere than tweed, but it's somewhere in the middle between the two. And when I say "cashmere", I mean cashmere blazer, not cashmere sweater - soft and dense. It's really more of a fall/winter material.

Comment

Yeah, camel hair blazers are definitely very warm. I can't say as I've ever seen one in that color in something like cotton or linen

Comment

How about The Lewis or The Clark from Bonobos (half price on sale @ $150):

http://www.bonobos.com/sale?cat=2021

Comment

Wow, those look horrible, at least on the models. Also, a wool / cashmere blend is going to be warm.

Comment

I have a camel blazer that I picked up from Banana Republic last fall that I really like.

Comment

Working...
                      X