• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
    akosmowski
    Varsity Member

• akosmowski
    replied

Thanks, guys! I used this Vogue jeans pattern for them. If you want to buy a sewing machine, I would buy one from an independent store (fabric or quilting) in May because classroom machines and floor models go on deep discount then. That way you can also get some classes for it on the cheap or for free.

Leave a comment:

• thmage

• thmage
    replied

This looks like a good very basic intro: http://www.ehow.com/how_4867231_alter-shirt.html

I'm sure there are a bunch of sewing how-to books out there too.

Leave a comment:

• pahhhoul

• pahhhoul
    replied

^ good job on the pants.

I would really like to learn how to slim down a shirt's body and taper the sleeves as well as hemming and tapering pants.

I thought about it for 6+ months now as the cost of getting my clothes tailor is getting up past thousands range over the past year.

If anyone has suggestions on where to get started, like a sewing learning annex class, I'm there!

Leave a comment:

• thmage

• thmage
    replied

Nice work, they look good.

Leave a comment:

• akosmowski
    Varsity Member

• akosmowski
    replied

The Pants

Leave a comment:

• AedanM

• AedanM
    replied

Never really thought about it but being able to hem pants and jeans would be great. I have short legs and off the rack pants are always a little too long. But my mom has never sewed a thing in her life so I'm pretty clueless about it.

Learning leatherwork would be pretty bad ass too. But that seems like it would take a lot of work to learn and be decent at.

Leave a comment:

• LesserBlackDog
    Super Moderator

• LesserBlackDog
    replied

I made my mom show me how to properly resew a button a while back. Baby steps....

I'd actually be interested in learning basics like hemming pants, but I want to get my hands back on my sewing machine first. I've got a Bernina from the '60s or '70s sitting in my mom's sewing room at my parents' house. Not a fancy machine but built like a tank. Someday when I'm living closer to home I'll reclaim it and make my mom give me some more lessons. She's a hobby art quilter, not a seamstress, but she knows a lot more about the basics than I do.

@MaxMan - You might look at local quilt and fabric stores for lessons and classes, as well. My mom taught a lot of classes when my brother and I were younger and she was still in stay-at-home-mom phase before re-starting her legal career.

Leave a comment:

• MaxMan
    Varsity Member

• MaxMan
    replied

Trash you raised a great point. I think im going to find a sewing class at my local community college a few hundred book to save hundreds more considering my affinity for style

Leave a comment:

• akosmowski
    Varsity Member

• akosmowski
    replied

Dear Jessy,

Depending on the sewing machine in question, it can do it for you. OF course, for your needs, hand-sewing would suffice. Below is a link to a decent video on hand sewing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQRq--7InTE

Leave a comment:

• trash
    Varsity Member

• trash
    replied

I would totally take a sewing class, even if I'm the only guy there and get funny looks. Working with your hands and being self-sufficient = height of manliness, right?

But seriously, I wouldn't mind being able to hem and slim down pants and shirts, then I have so many more potential clothing deals at my disposal. I wouldn't mind being able to alter suit jackets/blazers but I doubt it's simple enough to be worth the amount of education and experience required (relative to how often I'd use the skills).

Leave a comment:

• jessy_diamond

• jessy_diamond
    replied

I would like to learn how to sew back a button, but I don't think I would go past that.

Leave a comment:

• MichaelW

• MichaelW
    replied

I have thought about this a lot as well. Time and initial costs have me avoiding it so far. But I am sure it would pay for itself at some point, and if you enjoy it, why the heck not?

Leave a comment:

• MaxMan
    Varsity Member

• MaxMan
    replied

Mna this is something that has been on my mind all yr, i may never be able to tailor a suit jacket but if i could learn to taper and hem pants, slim down sleeves and dart shirts, i would be golden. But as with everything else, there is the opportunity cost invloved, where i dont want to spend valuable time acquiring a a new skill...

Leave a comment:

• splitplug

• splitplug
    replied

My tailor is so affordable and talented that it wouldn't be worth it for me.

Leave a comment:

• alan
    Dappered Veteran

• alan
    replied

As I'm sure is the case for plenty of people in here, my mom grew up making her own clothes. Even into my early childhood, she made clothes for herself, my dad, and me. However, it's not really anything I've ever wanted to learn. Sure would be handy, but I just feel like I've got other things to do... Like watch TV.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X