No announcement yet.

"Or, whatever your favorite pair of dark wash denim happens to be."

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I recently acquired a 513 Levi's in dark wash 30x30 and had it tapered from the knee down. It fits me great - just enough room in the waist, seat and thighs (and since I had it tailored) , fits perfect in the leg part.

After one wash, I notice that the waist part is now snug looking like I bought a size 29 - even with just air drying it and not putting it in the dryer.

We'll know more tomorrow when I wear it as my wife already washed it again and air-dried it.
    5' 6" | 143 lbs | 29x30 pants | 36S jacket | 14.5 shirt | 8 shoe size

Comment

I own JCrew 484's in non stretch version for few years now.

Comment

Originally posted by 77Pat View Post
        Levi's 541 for less expensive. Bought two pairs online, both fit differently. Next time I will spend the extra bit and buy in store (usually online runs better promotions than B&M).

More expensive:

AG Adriano Goldschmied Protégé (6pm, Saks off 5th, Barneys Warehouse occasionally have good prices). Haven't tried Graduate yet. Only issue is they only come in longer length, so I need to get them tailored. With the tailoring they never quite sit right at the ankle.

Have tried Gustin and Naked and Famous Weird Guy, but don't really have the patience to wait for them to stretch out. I run hot and sweat to much to wear consistently without washing.

Uniqlo straight selvedge used to be my go to, but doesn't fit quite right anymore.

Perhaps consider lightweight raw denim. Or just lightweight denim in general. My N&F Easy Guys are 11oz and they feel great even during hotter days.

Comment

Hey Guys, long time listener, first time caller.

I'm a recent convert to the selvedge game as I bought some straight fit Gustin jeans around a year ago. I absolutely love them. The only issue is that I lost some weight since I grabbed them, but they still fit with a belt. I don't think I'll go back to Levis. Love my 513 stretch, but love my selvedge more. One of these days I am going to up my game and grab some Tellason or 3Sixteen. I love wearing in my own fades and the craftsmanship that goes into some of the smaller brands is amazing. My .02, cheers!

Comment

[MENTION=15817]Dalton[/MENTION] If you're looking for something in the range of Tellason and 3Sixteen check out Rogue Territory. They've been my go to for the last 5 years. I've owned Tellason and 3sixteen and IMO Rogue Territory makes a better jean. The denim on 3Sixteen is great but the quality isn't up to par with Rogue Territory and everything about the Tellasons was just okay at best. Definitely go with the pair that fits best but just wanted to through their name out there.

As for the Levis sizing inconsistency - its probably not the dye but the distressing process that causes the variation. The darker pairs are less processed so they shrink less during distressing making them closer to their true size. The size of the final product is much more predictable. With the lighter washes, they have to undergo multiple and/or longer washes causing more shrinkage. I would imagine Levis can't accurately predict how big or small they will turn out so they produce them on the larger side and hope they shrink down.

Comment

Originally posted by AsianDapper View Post
              I recently acquired a 513 Levi's in dark wash 30x30 and had it tapered from the knee down. It fits me great - just enough room in the waist, seat and thighs (and since I had it tailored) , fits perfect in the leg part.

After one wash, I notice that the waist part is now snug looking like I bought a size 29 - even with just air drying it and not putting it in the dryer.

We'll know more tomorrow when I wear it as my wife already washed it again and air-dried it.
              I find that jeans are always tighter after washing, particularly if hung to dry rather than tumble-dried. Wearing it for a little bit loosens it back up.

Comment

Originally posted by Galcobar View Post
                I find that jeans are always tighter after washing, particularly if hung to dry rather than tumble-dried. Wearing it for a little bit loosens it back up.
                +1 on this.
                I usually have do a few squats and some stretching when putting on a newly washed pair of jeans.

Comment

Originally posted by Galcobar View Post
                  Good idea! I will try them for sure.
                  Thanks!
                  5' 6" | 143 lbs | 29x30 pants | 36S jacket | 14.5 shirt | 8 shoe size

Comment

My current go-to dark jeans are Levi 541 in Rigid Dragon.

However, I recently picked up some raw selvedge on sale at BR (their "slim" fit) which fit very well when I tried them on. Once the weather finally stays cooler I'll be giving them a good breaking in.

I practically live in dark denim when the weather is 70s and lower.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Charles View Post
                      My current go-to dark jeans are Levi 541 in Rigid Dragon.

However, I recently picked up some raw selvedge on sale at BR (their "slim" fit) which fit very well when I tried them on. Once the weather finally stays cooler I'll be giving them a good breaking in.

I practically live in dark denim when the weather is 70s and lower.
                      I got a couple of pair of BR's selvage jeans. One was perfect when I put them on, very comfortable, though somewhere between blue and dark blue in color. The other, is a dark wash, look very good, though they are very stiff. I'm wearing them now (and wore them on a flight) in the hopes of softening them up.

Comment

Originally posted by batkins9 View Post
                        I got a couple of pair of BR's selvage jeans. One was perfect when I put them on, very comfortable, though somewhere between blue and dark blue in color. The other, is a dark wash, look very good, though they are very stiff. I'm wearing them now (and wore them on a flight) in the hopes of softening them up.
                        Did you wash them before wearing? Any issues with crocking/bleeding?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Charles View Post
                          Did you wash them before wearing? Any issues with crocking/bleeding?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
                          I haven't washed either pair. The stiffer pair I soaked in the tub for a while. That rinsed off some of the excess dye. So far, I haven't had any major issues with bleeding that I've noticed.

Comment

I'll put in for UNIQLO's slim-straight selvedge denim. So many pairs of jeans fit me poorly below the knee, and this is the one pair I've found that fits well without me feeling shrinkwrapped.
                            Duncan

I know my username is dumb; blame 12 year old me.

Comment

phatte, looks like you got a shout-out in today's style scenario.

https://dappered.com/2016/09/style-s...r-100-edition/
                              https://www.professorhorseyhead.com

Comment

I'm all about Gustin, but I also regularly wear a couple of pairs of the US-made Lands End Canvas jeans from a few years back and recently picked up a pair of Naked and Famous Weird Guy. Love the fit on them but haven't had much of a chance to wear them yet because it's been so hot.

Comment

Working...
                                X