Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wardrobe Update Advice

Hey guys,

I am looking to update my wardrobe some and after wearing JCP Stafford pants and shirts almost exclusively for the last 12 years. I would like to branch out into some better quality and much better fitting clothes. Currently my wardrobe consists of all black pants, blue oxford button down shirts, and black shoes with black socks. I have decided to dip my toes into a bit more color.

I am on a super tight budget, $300 for now. I know I cant get a full on wardrobe refresh out of it but I know I can pick up at least enough to get me started on a much better wardrobe.

I am 5'10", 170lbs, 16" neck, 40" chest, 33 1/2" sleeve, 36" waist, 32" pant waist and 32" inseam.

I have already picked up a pair of used black AE Fairgates for $40 and I am scouring ebay for a brown pair of AE's that I like for $60ish.

That leaves me $200 for a couple of shirts and 1-2 pairs of pants. I would like the shirts to be 100% cotton and the pants to be 100% wool, preferably lighter material as the weather in Houston is humid and hot most of the year.

I am trying to decide between S&M and CT on the shirts. It seems like the S&M slim fit would work but I am worried the sleeves might be a bit long. It seems like the CT slim fit would be right on. Any input on this and perhaps some quality comparisons between the two would be appreciated.

As for pants, well at this point I know that I am going to get a darker grey pair and if I can swing two a navy pair. I was leaning towards S&M and CT for these as well but only because I am at a total loss on where else to look for like quality and value.

Thank you all in advance for the advice.

PS I am digging the site and forums since I found them last week.

A SM shirt with a 16 in collar will definitely be too long in the sleeve is you measure 33 1/2. I really like SM's shirts though, the 16 fits me fine and I'm a similar build to you, though with arms a little longer. You could always have them tailored. That said, CT makes good shirts as well. I have several shirts from both companies and I have no complaints about either. You can get shirts from SM for less than CT though, if you do decide to get the 16 and tailor the sleeves, that will obviously affect the price difference. As for pants, all wool for less than $100 each is limited in options. J Crew Factory has wool pants that usually hover in the $60-$70 mark. Currently, they only have a mid grey and "black turquoise." SM, has some of the wool pants for $50 CAD or $80 CAD which are probably going to be your best selection and lowest price. Combat Gent has a full line of wool/poly blend dress pants. However, you could purchase a pair of their suit pants without the jacket, those are 100% wool. Looks like their suit pants range from $40 - $80 when you buy them without the jacket. Some purists will scoff at the idea, the other 99% of society won't notice and probably won't care. I still think that SM is the better deal though. Just my 2 cents.

Comment

Note that if you buy more than one pair of Spier and Mackay trousers you can get even the non-sale ones for $88 CAD (which is about $68 USD).

A Spier & Mackay size 15.5 shirt has 35" sleeves, perfect for me, but too long for you. How tall are you? Perhaps you've underestimated your sleeve length. If you can wait until Black Friday they might have a really good sale on custom shirts again (last year you could get custom shirts for maybe less than $50 each if you bought 3), but due to the amount of orders you likely wouldn't get the shirts until the beginning of 2017.

Comment

I am new to the forum like yourself.

I am currently updating my wardrobe from khakis to wool pants. I have found some great deals on the Jcrew Bowery pants on EBay. You can easily get 32 waist and 32 inseam for $60-$80 brand new.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/UNOPENED-J-C...kAAOSwawpXv0Db

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JCrew-118-Bo...YAAOSwll1Wxhqg

I picked up a pair of Bowery classic for $70. Also try OffSaks for their house brand 100% wool. I bought a pair for $44 that will need hemming. I can't speak to their quality yet, but the material feels nice and would be a step up from JCP. There is a location at the Cypress outlets north of Houston. Pick up 2 $30 clearance CT shirts (I own 2 and they have served me well) and you could probably swing 2 pairs of pants.

Comment

Originally posted by Spex View Post
          Note that if you buy more than one pair of Spier and Mackay trousers you can get even the non-sale ones for $88 CAD (which is about $68 USD).

A Spier & Mackay size 15.5 shirt has 35" sleeves, perfect for me, but too long for you. How tall are you? Perhaps you've underestimated your sleeve length. If you can wait until Black Friday they might have a really good sale on custom shirts again (last year you could get custom shirts for maybe less than $50 each if you bought 3), but due to the amount of orders you likely wouldn't get the shirts until the beginning of 2017.
          The website chart shows 34.5" sleeves on a 15.5" collar and 35.5" for 16" collar. I switched from 15.5" contemporary fit to 16" slim mostly for sleeve length. I had about 6 15.5" shirts, and I felt that the length was inconsistent between some styles (one shirt is unwearable) and the circumference of the sleeves was too narrow. I was never comfortable buttoning the cuffs. The slim fit 16" are near perfect though.

Comment

Originally posted by batkins9 View Post
            The website chart shows 34.5" sleeves on a 15.5" collar and 35.5" for 16" collar. I switched from 15.5" contemporary fit to 16" slim mostly for sleeve length. I had about 6 15.5" shirts, and I felt that the length was inconsistent between some styles (one shirt is unwearable) and the circumference of the sleeves was too narrow. I was never comfortable buttoning the cuffs. The slim fit 16" are near perfect though.
            At some point they extended the sleeve length on the 15.5 but never updated the size chart. I was given the specific item number after which the adjustment was made to be used as reference to figure out which shirts were of the new, longer sleeve batch. We've been told that there's a new website that will be up and running soon, so hopefully the size charts will also be revamped.

Comment

I stayed away from Spier and Mac OTR for a long time because I thought the sleeves were too long (36" vs. 34/35 that I wear). It turns out that 34/35 is actually 36" with most retailers. So, I strongly recommend measuring some shirts that fit you, if you haven't already. Here's the thread where Spier and Mac told me to measure my shirt:

http://threads.dappered.com/showthre...-Mackay/page18

I will say that the Spier and Mac linen shirts (at least the one I own) has longer sleeves and is bigger in general than any of their cotton shirts I own.

Comment

Thanks for the input. I think I am going to wait for CT to throw up a 3 for $99 sale again and grab some shirts there. As for pants I still don't know. I have a feeling I am going to order a pair from SM and then take it from there.

Comment

Originally posted by kravix View Post
                  Thanks for the input. I think I am going to wait for CT to throw up a 3 for $99 sale again and grab some shirts there. As for pants I still don't know. I have a feeling I am going to order a pair from SM and then take it from there.
                  CT Shirts sale is still active. Active until mid January at least.

http://www.ctshirts.com/fbaw3

Comment

Originally posted by AndyNG View Post
                    CT Shirts sale is still active. Active until mid January at least.

http://www.ctshirts.com/fbaw3
                    Thank you!! I saw it last week but couldn't find it again.

Comment

Working...
                    X