Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to wear a grey herringbone sport coat ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok I am looking for suggestions on how to wear a grey tweed herringbone blazer. I work at a military boarding school as a director of development and admissions officer. My day to day wear is a school blazer with shirt and tie. I'm spending two days visiting progressive middle and high schools to get ideas for my school. The next two days I'm in a more formal setting for a conference. So looking for casual and more formal looks for the sports coat. I'm also bringing a nicer mtm navy blazer.

Grey flannels or wool trousers. Black wool trousers. Light grey chinos. Depending on the tweed, you might get away with navy or tan chinos as well.
    Blue, white or pink OCBD.
    Merino wool or cotton sweater too if the weather warrants it.
    Brown shoes or black shoes. Suede works, but so do grey saddle oxfords or some brogues. Chelsea boots would go good too.
    Wool knit ties if you want to go a bit formal.

Basically everything that looks kind of old English hunting lodgey (that's a word, trust me).

Comment

Khaki chinos and a pair of worsted wool trousers in a lighter shade of grey than the jacket should cover most occasions. You could also wear grey tweed with mid wash blue denim, but I would avoid navy trousers. The traditional pattern is navy on top and grey on the bottom. Switching them looks odd and unbalanced.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Anything but similar shade of gray pants. You have to move away from #menswear attitude and gravitate more towards #trad to get into the right mode for it IMO. I am assuming this is a mid gray tweed jacket (I have a black/white HB one which from there feet away looks mid gray).

## Trouser combination
        Colors: navy, charcoal, tan, taupe, olive, green, taupe, off-white (light gray can be hit or miss with this one; I wear light gray a lot but I about with my gray HB jacket).
        Fabrics: flannel, cords, chinos, worsted (this last one not as much), denim.

Enjoy.

Comment

Originally posted by lgball View Post
          Wool knit ties if you want to go a bit formal.
          Is this a typo? Because I think will knit ties would be less formal.

Tweed is a relatively informal fabric, so you can be pretty flexible with it. Even wear it with jeans. Colorwise grey is pretty neutral to that gives you a lot of flexibility.

For less causal situations you can wear non silk ties, and also knits. Actually, I think you could probably get away wearing wool knit ties all the time, but I would save them for when you want to look the most causal.

What do you normally wear for shirts?

Comment

Most herringbone tweed jackets are a mid-grey, so I would personally not wear khaki trousers with them. I'm not a fan of grey+brown unless there is a lot of contrast between them, and still I would only do light grey+dark brown and not charcoal+tan, which is passable, but to me an "older gentleman" look.

This is the one combo where navy trousers work well.

When keeping things more formal, stick with black belt and black shoes. Ancient madder, foulard or similar silk ties that are not shiny work well with tweed, if you don't want to go down the wool/knit route.

Comment

A gray herringbone sport coat pretty versatile. The only thing holding it back would be the amount of nap the tweed has. For instance Spier and Mackay and SuitSupply both have gray herringbone sport coats that look less tweedy and more polished which may work better with certain types of pants.

Comment

Contrary to one of the previous posters, I would very much support wearing navy chinos or even navy wool trousers with a grey herringbone. It looks great, and quite smart.

Comment

Originally posted by ryn View Post
                  Is this a typo? Because I think will knit ties would be less formal.
                  I meant that if you want to go a bit more formal and add a tie, that a wool knit would pair well with tweed. I just didn't say it very well.

Comment

Originally posted by MTH View Post
                    Contrary to one of the previous posters, I would very much support wearing navy chinos or even navy wool trousers with a grey herringbone. It looks great, and quite smart.
                    Agreed. I wear my mid gray hopsack blazer this way and never feel like it's out of balance. The texture on the jacket helps with that.

Comment

Some people claim grey jackets aren't very versatile. I think this is true for some people. If you are disproportionately large on top, then you might benefit from adhering to the "northern lights" rule, i.e., your jacket should be darker than your pants. Darker colors have a slimming effect, but your options are limited in that case.

Otherwise, you just have to be careful with color. You want attention drawn to your face, not your pants. So, you want to avoid your pants having a stronger or brighter color than your shirt. The contrast between your shirt and jacket should be greater than the contrast between your jacket and pants in any case.

Comment

I have to say that tweed gray jackets are much easier to wear and pair than non tweed jackets. Part of that is because they often look like orphaned suit jackets, and even if they don't, texture and pattern can be much more important than navy or brown. But tweed HB jackets are very easy to wear.

Comment

Originally posted by Spex View Post
                          Most herringbone tweed jackets are a mid-grey, so I would personally not wear khaki trousers with them. I'm not a fan of grey+brown unless there is a lot of contrast between them, and still I would only do light grey+dark brown and not charcoal+tan, which is passable, but to me an "older gentleman" look.
                          I feel compelled to break my long posting silence to very strongly disagree with this advice. Gray herringbone and khaki is second only to a navy blazer and khakis in terms of classic combinations.

To the OP: gray herringbone, lt blue oxford, repp stripe tie, flat-front/cuffed khakis, cordovan penny loafers. You'd be hard-pressed to find a better combo. Olive chinos work well too. Khaki or olive corduroys are great. Navy trousers are fine if you've got them but I wouldn't buy 'em if you didn't already have 'em.

I would avoid gray-on-gray regardless of the contrast.
                          --

I'm here mostly to keep my mouth shut and learn a thing or two.

Comment

Originally posted by PekkaKarhunen View Post
                            I feel compelled to break my long posting silence to very strongly disagree with this advice. Gray herringbone and khaki is second only to a navy blazer and khakis in terms of classic combinations.
                            I think we can agree to disagree. I merely stated my own preference, and not that grey+khaki isn't a classic combination. In fact, here's one of our fellow Finns sporting that look:

I just don't care for it, due to the neutral-on-neutral effect, and that they are very close in tone.

Comment

Originally posted by Spex View Post
                              I think we can agree to disagree. I merely stated my own preference, and not that grey+khaki isn't a classic combination. In fact, here's one of our fellow Finns sporting that look:

I just don't care for it, due to the neutral-on-neutral effect, and that they are very close in tone.
                              Those pants are too casual for the upper half.

Comment

Working...
                              X