Comment

Not a fan of that perforated wingtip.

Comment

Gonna take a pass on this one.

Comment

Yeah wholecuts are not my cup of tea.
              Ben

Comment

I like wholecuts, but I really don't like the way the "U" shaped throat/vamp is cut. The creasing and wrinkling of the edges around the lacing is just not appealing. If they were a simple V or a line, like the way most other makers do it, I might like this model a lot more.

Comment

Agreed. Not a fan of wholecuts in general and not a fan of the brogue design on that. AE made a good decision when they decided to split that shoe into two parts and create both the Cornwallis and the Carlyle.

Mind you, the Cornwallis could use a name change.

Comment

To me the purpose of a wholecut it to be as clean as possible, with as few lines as possible, zero preferably (some wholecuts don't even have a seam behind the heel). Adding that broguing goes against the concept.

Comment

I just think they look kinda cheap, almost Cole Haan-like in terms of trying to do dressy and athletic in one. Plus the perfs break up the grain that I see as the whole point of a whole cut. Definite no-go for me.

Comment

I hate it.

It's a basic principle: a certain feature might look nice, but it'll look terrible in big doses.

Perforations look nice in doses. Slap perforations all over a shoe, and it looks like a first grader's art project.

I don't think the wholecut aspect is a problem (although, almost ANY design IMO ruins the sleekness of a wholecut). If this was a captoe or anything else, it would still be a problem. They just went overkill on the perforations.

Comment

meh i'll pass

Comment

Ha! Wore my black pair with a light grey suit this weekend to a wedding and smashed it (with pics)! Would not trade em, and glad I got em at Nordstrom's 2+ years ago at just a little cheaper than mentioned in the article. If I could figure out how to post a pic, I'd show you WIWT from Saturday....

Comment

I think they're on the far side of the line between flashy and costumey.

Comment

Working...
                              X