Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stauer Watches. Do You Like Them?

Hi,

I'm thinking about getting a new watch. I'm looking around the Internet to see what is out there, and I found the Stauer website. I like the look of many of their watches, and the prices are reasonable, within my budget. The specifications of these watches look good to me (some really nice styles), but I'm no expert in these matters. Anyone have any comments to make about these products. Take a look at the watches on their website (click on Watches, upper left).:

http://www.stauer.com/

Fritz
    Last edited by Fritz; September 4, 2016, 08:32 AM.

What is your budget and what styles are you looking for?

Haven't heard of them before, but the website kinda turns me off. First of all it seems like the watches are permanently discounted (which suggest that the "original price" is meaningless). Second their advertising is more about how cheap they are and not really about whether they make a decent watch or not. The advertising seems shady, I assume Chinese produced movements. Honestly not for me, and I doubt they'll last (and you'll probably want to wear something else after half a year) but at $30 for a watch even if it fell apart after a year I wouldn't feel ripped off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Instagram: WoofOrWeft

Comment

Don't know much about them, but I'm always leery of products/websites where they advertise prices and the HUGE discounts. In other words I tend to avoid them. The whole "too good to be true" thing keeps running through my head.

What type of watch are you after? What's your budget? What attracts you to these particular models?

Cheers.

Comment

I'd be hesitant to wear one without also carrying one of their walking sticks.

Comment

If you like the style and the price, go for it. My dad has had one for years (he bought it based on appearance alone), and it's been problem-free. Reliable movement, good quality leather band, and a solidly-made case. Respectable-looking, but not really a head-turner. Which describes my dad's watch aesthetic perfectly. You won't impress watch snobs/collectors/savants/whatevers with it, if that's your thing. On the other hand, it'll keep brand whores and gold-diggers away

Seriously though, the 'original' prices are a joke, at best. At their 'discounted' price, they seem a solid value - at least based on my highly scientific study above, with a sample size of 1.

Comment

Stauer Centurion Hybrid is good. And deal is good too.
            Eat what is good for your health but
            Wear what is good for your and others eyes

Comment

OK, I've read all the comments. It looks like most people have no experience with the Stauer brand. I agree, though, that the original prices are likely inflated. Even so, many vendors of various lines of merchandise use that kind of comparison pricing. I see it all the time for everything from clothing to furniture to what have you.

The thing is, there is no "regular" price for many products, so a vendor can put any price, and comparison price, on merchandise that he wants. This practice is not to my liking, but what can you do? Sellers know that people love a bargain, so they tend to price products accordingly. In the automobile industry, you at least have the manufacture's suggested retail price on the window sticker, but not so in much of the rest of the retail world.

Anyway, I like the look of many of the Stauer watches, which preference is personal opinion, I know. Also, if you look at the details describing those watches, you'll see that the movements are made in Switzerland or in Japan, not in China, at least for the ones I looked at. Be as it may, I agree that the watches seem like a decent quality and value. Will I buy one? I haven't decided yet.

Thanks for the comments.

Fritz
              Last edited by Fritz; September 5, 2016, 07:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Fritz View Post
                OK, I've read all the comments. It looks like most people have no experience with the Stauer brand. I agree, though, that the original prices are likely inflated. Even so, many vendors of various lines of merchandise use that kind of comparison pricing. I see it all the time for everything from clothing to furniture to what have you.

The thing is, there is no "regular" price for many products, so a vendor can put any price, and comparison price, on merchandise that he wants. This practice is not to my liking, but what can you do? Sellers know that people love a bargain, so they tend to price products accordingly. In the automobile industry, you at least have the manufacture's suggested retail price on the window sticker, but not so in much of the rest of the retail world.

Anyway, I like the look of many of the Stauer watches, which preference is personal opinion, I know. Also, if you look at the details describing those watches, you'll see that the movements are made in Switzerland or in Japan, not in China, at least for the ones I looked at. Be as it may, I agree that the watches seem like a decent quality and value. Will I buy one? I haven't decided yet.

Thanks for the comments.

Fritz
                Your point about pricing makes sense, but typically companies only resort to disingenuous retail prices + permanent discounts if they're trying to trick you into thinking you're getting a steal when really you're not. In the watch world invicta does this as well.

Also which watches are you seeing that have either Swiss or Japanese movements? From the reviews that I've seen on WUS they said the noire watch had a Chinese made movement, and that looks like one of their more expensive offerings.

The most important thing is that you like the look of the watch, and since you do then I think you should get one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                Instagram: WoofOrWeft

Comment

I have an automatic stauer, decent watch. finishing seems above invicta, not quite as good as citizen.

Comment

You can see these watches advertised in in-flight magazines on Southwest Airlines and similar media. One can get a decent quality Seiko, Orient or Citizen watch for that kind of money...

Comment

Working...
                    X