Saltwater baths and boat shoes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Saltwater baths and boat shoes

I've heard that you can soften up boat shoes that aren't breaking in easily by soaking them in saltwater for several hours and then wearing them until they dry. Has anybody tried this? I have a pair of Sebago Docksides I never wear because the leather is so stiff and I tried breaking them in a couple of times, with socks and without, and it only ended in tears. I guess I have nothing to lose because I'm stuck with them either way, but if anybody has done this with success I'd love to hear about how you went about it.

This sounds like a horrible idea. Salt damages leather. Shoes that get wet with the salty slush on roads during the winter get ruined.

I'd suggest soaking them down with Lexol... way beyond what you'd normally put on... then wear them around

Comment

Sounds like they're the wrong size, but maybe I just always wear them loose.

I've never artificially treated my boat shoes like that, but I can say with certainty that if they're just regular run of the mill boat shoes, they should be designed to stand up to that. I've only ever owned Sperrys but I've sailed in both smooth leather and suede versions. I've capsized plenty of times in salt water, worn them for the rest of the day, etc... to no adverse results. That being said, I don't think they're more comfortable than ones I've never sailed in.

Comment

Working...
      X