Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Work Trouser Overhaul

All,

Need some direction on where to look for work trousers - I recently lost about 4-5" around the gut and so am in a position of needing to build from scratch with the lower-half work wardrobe...

Where are some of the best places to look for value/quality? I work in consulting and generally think wool slacks look the most professional so that may help in suggestions.

One place I've been looking is the current sale at Indochino... 5 pairs of trousers for $400 seems like a reasonable deal with them being $80/pop and somewhat customised...

Thank you all in advance!

Land's End Year rounders should be around $63 right now with 30% off.

Comment

I think with trousers you've got to go around and try them all. You need to find the brand or style that matches your look and size wise. It's taken me awhile to figure out nothing in BB or BR works for me. I found the best success in JCrew so far with the classic fit.

Comment

banana republic (if 100% wool), j crew, spier and mackay, howard yount, suitsupply

that's in ascending order of quality. also want to add don't be afraid to spend up on pants, wool pants last a long time, are low maintenance and you really don't need that many pairs (3-4). lastly, there are different weight wools for different seasons, so factor that in.
        Last edited by Scofield; August 31, 2016, 01:14 PM.

Comment

I really like the Bonobos Foundation trousers. Not at full price though, but on sale, well worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by hockeysc23 View Post
            I think with trousers you've got to go around and try them all. You need to find the brand or style that matches your look and size wise.
            This is great advice, because fit matters most. Find something that works and buy a couple pairs to start, and when you are sure that you like them you can wait for sales to expand your collection.
            Matt Dalton

Comment

Originally posted by Scofield View Post
              banana republic (if 100% wool), j crew, spier and mackay, howard yount, suitsupply

that's in ascending order of quality. also want to add don't be afraid to spend up on pants, wool pants last a long time, are low maintenance and you really don't need that many pairs (3-4). lastly, there are different weight wools for different seasons, so factor that in.
              This is interesting. I was under the impression that HY had higher quality trousers compared to Suitsupply. This was based on my readings online since I don't have any HY and my Suitsupply trousers are part of suits. What makes you say that SuSu is better?

Comment

Originally posted by doomx View Post
                This is interesting. I was under the impression that HY had higher quality trousers compared to Suitsupply. This was based on my readings online since I don't have any HY and my Suitsupply trousers are part of suits. What makes you say that SuSu is better?
                SS fits better (slimmer) for me so requires less tailoring. customer service is way better too, and free shipping/returns helps a lot. quality on HY i suppose is technically better and they have more of a variety of weights of wool...but SS has tropical, year round and flannel so you really don't need much more. for someone just starting to look around to upgrade i would definitely recommend SS over HY

Comment

I have one pair each of BR (dark charcoal, 100% wool) and J. Crew (medium gray, also 100% wool) and am thinking of taking a step up to the third rung in your ladder.

What do you think of these S&M's? http://www.spierandmackay.com/produc...t___final_sale

They're not pure wool, but my sense is that linen wouldn't reduce the quality of the garment in the way that a synthetic would. What do you think?

Am I right that it was you who told me a while back that SuitSupply is well worth the mark up from JC? Anyway, I've taken it to heart and am saving up for one of their light gray pants at some point!

Comment

Originally posted by srlclark View Post
                    I have one pair each of BR (dark charcoal, 100% wool) and J. Crew (medium gray, also 100% wool) and am thinking of taking a step up to the third rung in your ladder.

What do you think of these S&M's? http://www.spierandmackay.com/produc...t___final_sale

They're not pure wool, but my sense is that linen wouldn't reduce the quality of the garment in the way that a synthetic would. What do you think?

Am I right that it was you who told me a while back that SuitSupply is well worth the mark up from JC? Anyway, I've taken it to heart and am saving up for one of their light gray pants at some point!
                    probably, that sounds like me lol. those look good if you like everything else about it, i wouldn't let the fabric composition stop me from buying that

Comment

I second Bonobos. They make great pants that are flattering to wear. The wool is much better than anything at Banana Republic.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

I've seen that fabric in person and was also interested in perhaps buying them. It's hard to tell from online photos what the real material is like. That herringbone fabric, probably because of the linen content, has a surface texture that was unlike typical wool trousers. It was more matte, without the sheen of some 100% wool trousers. For that price (mind you it's $49 Canadian) it might be worth the risk.

I've tried trousers from BR, J Crew, Club Monaco, BB, Epaulet and Spier and Mackay. So far Spier & Mackay (Contemporary fit) have worked the best for me. But like someone else said, you really need to try on many brands before you find out which ones fit you the best, as we're all build differently. Having said that, S&M prices are quite good, especially on sale, and the quality is above most of the stuff I've seen at BR or CM, and the lower end J Crew. Epaulet is another great brand, if you can handle the price. Cheers.

Comment

probably, that sounds like me lol. those look good if you like everything else about it, i wouldn't let the fabric composition stop me from buying that
                          Thanks! I like those pants, as I'm a big fan both of herringbone designs and of working brown into my wardrobe. It seems to me that most brown dress pants are either really dark browns that verge on black or really light tans/khakis/beiges, and I think these have a bit more character to them than either of those.

While I'm at it, I think I'll pick up a pair of blue dress pants from S&M at the same time. Are there any that you'd recommend? Here's the lineup: http://www.spierandmackay.com/dress_trousers. I set the filter to blue, navy, and medium blue, but I'm not sure whether it'll work in the link. I'd prefer something that's not too dark. I like the ocean blue but perhaps it's more of an accent color after I get a more subdued medium/darkish but not navy first. (I do have a cheap pair of navy wool-blend dress pants but I wear them very rarely).

Comment

Thanks! I like those pants, as I'm a big fan both of herringbone designs and of working brown into my wardrobe. It seems to me that most brown dress pants are either really dark browns that verge on black or really light tans/khakis/beiges, and I think these have a bit more character to them than either of those.

While I'm at it, I think I'll pick up a pair of blue dress pants from S&M at the same time. Are there any that you'd recommend? Here's the lineup: http://www.spierandmackay.com/dress_trousers. I set the filter to blue, navy, and medium blue, but I'm not sure whether it'll work in the link. I'd prefer something that's not too dark. I like the ocean blue but perhaps it's more of an accent color after I get a more subdued medium/darkish but not navy first. (I do have a cheap pair of navy wool-blend dress pants but I wear them very rarely).
                            i find navy too hard to wear, so i would also go for something in lighter blue, so ocean looks good. matches well with brown and gray blazers

Comment

If you're on a budget, Combat Gent has several nice looking designs. They won't be 100% wool however.

Comment

Working...
                              X