Anybody have a Uniqlo topcoat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anybody have a Uniqlo topcoat?

Thinking about picking one up. I'm not sure how much use I would get out of a topcoat, so the price point is appealing. I was wondering if anyone might have insight on the fit and quality?

I don't own one, but I did try one on in the store last year, and the feel wasn't great. But the fabric is high quality - 90% wool, 10% cashmere - and the cut looks good in the photos. The "brown" (camel) one looks especially nice. Joe says that they're not warm enough for cold weather without further layering, though.

Comment

They look nice, but not very warm. it's mandatory to have proper layering once the weather gets below about 30

Comment

Originally posted by Leanderthal View Post
        I'm not sure how much use I would get out of a topcoat, so the price point is appealing.
        As someone frugal myself, I can understand this thinking, however I've adopted a personal policy where I don't buy anything that I can't see myself getting much use out of. I'd rather pool those funds towards something I'd use more often.

I also have quite a few items from Uniqlo, as the wife seems to bring something back from every trip to Japan. When I was working in NYC they had at least 3 huge Uniqlo locations and I tried on many things and purchased a few. I found that they didn't really change the cut of the Japanese items for a North American market, but instead they just adjusted the sizes down (Japanese size L became a North American M). Due to the difference in asian vs nordic body shapes I've never found a satisfying fit in any Uniqlo item. Depending on your body type, you may wish to take this into account.

Comment

I bought one a couple of years ago (charcoal, medium). I'm 5'8", 160 and it fits me well. It is fairly lightweight, but it's perfect for me living in Atlanta. Probably wouldn't be heavy enough for up north. Really nice-looking jacket for the price.

Comment

Banana Republic just dropped two topcoats - one black, one charcoal - today. They retail for $350 and are currently BR picks, so you'd want to wait for a sale, but I think you could get them for $210 or less in time to use them late this fall, or for $175 or less if you were willing to wait until February or so and pick them up in clearance.

Also, this year BR's topcoats do not have any polyester in them, which should make them more breathable. These two are 75% virgin wool, 20% nylon (presumably for strength and structure), and 5% cashmere. So, they should be pretty soft, too. Last year's BR topcoats were something like 35-40% poly, so this is a significant improvement and the retail price is only $52 more than it was - meaning that the coats are effectively only $31-32 more expensive once the obligatory 40%+ discount is factored in.

Not sure what the full range will look like, but I don't think the non-poly route is going to be specific to these two, because the women's camel coat is up and is 80% wool, 20% nylon. I've been looking into getting that for my wife. Too bad it doesn't have the 5% cashmere, though. Let's hope the men's camel coat does! [On the plus side, the retail price for the women's camel coat is $298, which is the same price as the men's 35-40% poly topcoats last year].

Comment

I tried on the Uniqlo topcoat last year. The fabric felt nice enough, but the shoulders were a little tight. I had to raise my hands above my head to get the jacket on. Once on it was fine, but wouldn't be able to layer much. I am 5'8" 180 lbs, and usually wear a size Medium in Uniqlo shirts. A large might have worked better, but then the sleeves would be a bit long. Ended up getting the Banana Republic Camel Coat.

Comment

Just left Uniqlo. Super disappointed. Not sure how the top coat was last year, but this years is a no question do not buy. It is insanely thin. It looks incredibly cheap. Fabric is almost shiny and not soft.

Also had some aweful new tweed blazers. Patch pockets and funtional surgeon cuffs. 70% wool, 30% nylon with polyester lining. Also horribly thin and the fabric felt like sand paper.

I was beyond stoked when I found Uniqlo 18-months ago, but I guess I was late to the party. I caught a couple good songs at the end, but everyone is leaving. They are moving rapidly to Americanize their sizing and compete with fast fashion. Their new shirts had that H&M, will disolve in water, feel to them. Bummed.

Comment

I also tried on a Uniqlo topcoat this weekend in a store and felt the same way about it. I tried one on last year too and remembered thinking it felt and looked cheap, but not how thin it was. The thinness is in a way more of a problem because a cheap topcoat can still be useful as a beater when it's snowing or sleeting, but that's not going to work if it's going to be cold in it.

I haven't tried much of Uniqlo's other stuff on in a while - I own a couple of linen shirts I bought 18 months or so ago that are fine - but I do think their merino wool sweaters are still decent. True, I only saw and handled them in the store this Sunday and didn't try them on, but Joe also says that they're one of the store's top items. Probably right about most of their other items, unfortunately.

On the subject of topcoats - I'm not sure why J. Crew hasn't dropped any of theirs for the season yet. Three times the price of Uniqlo but I think they're pretty good quality for $300 or less, and they go for far less in spring clearance. I got a navy one for something like $130 in March or April.

Originally posted by connersw View Post
                  Just left Uniqlo. Super disappointed. Not sure how the top coat was last year, but this years is a no question do not buy. It is insanely thin. It looks incredibly cheap. Fabric is almost shiny and not soft.

Also had some aweful new tweed blazers. Patch pockets and funtional surgeon cuffs. 70% wool, 30% nylon with polyester lining. Also horribly thin and the fabric felt like sand paper.

I was beyond stoked when I found Uniqlo 18-months ago, but I guess I was late to the party. I caught a couple good songs at the end, but everyone is leaving. They are moving rapidly to Americanize their sizing and compete with fast fashion. Their new shirts had that H&M, will disolve in water, feel to them. Bummed.

Comment

Originally posted by srlclark View Post
                    I haven't tried much of Uniqlo's other stuff on in a while - I own a couple of linen shirts I bought 18 months or so ago that are fine - but I do think their merino wool sweaters are still decent. True, I only saw and handled them in the store this Sunday and didn't try them on, but Joe also says that they're one of the store's top items. Probably right about most of their other items, unfortunately.
                    I didn't look at the sweaters. I'm pretty stocked on merino v-necks already. Their LS linen shirt from this summer fit like a garbage bag. Their OCBD's went from perfect to worthless. I still like their button down polos. They are cut a little bigger now, but they shrink a bit so it's not too bad. Their selvedge jeans are still my favorite, and many on here like their Airism undershirts. So, still some good stuff left. Just sad to see a lot of the new stuff coming in being changed when I thought what they had was pretty great.

Comment

J. Crew dropped its Ludlow topcoats for the season today, so it'd be worth checking them for comparison for anyone looking into a Uniqlo topcoat. J. Crew's are much more expensive but they are also thicker and warmer so may be worth it. Note, however, that Uniqlo's are 90% wool and 10% cashmere, whereas at least last year, J. Crew's were 95% wool and 5% cashmere. But the wool J. Crew uses is of an obviously higher quality.

J. Crew's lineup has changed very slightly but not much. Here it is:

1. navy topcoat in wool/cashmere, either with or without thinsulate. [No change].
                      2. charcoal topcoat in wool/cashmere, either with or without thinsulate. [No change but the product photos make this year's charcoal look a bit darker than last year's].
                      3. brown topcoat in wool. [Slight change in design from last year's, which was also pure wool. This year's is a darker brown in a herringbone tweed. Last year's wasn't too different but I don't recall it being tweed].
                      4. dark camel topcoat in wool/cashmere, either with or without thinsulate. [Only change is that last year's had peak lapels, whereas this year's has notch lapels].
                      5. black topcoat in wool/cashmere. [Two changes: 1) last year's had notch lapels, whereas this year's has peak lapels, 2) it is so far at least only available without thinsulate, whereas last year there was a thinsulate option].
                      6. light grey topcoat in wool/cashmere, officially labeled "heather pewter." [There was no light grey option last year, instead there was a dark green one called "heather pine" or something like that. But I think there was a mid-grey option two years ago, if I recall correctly].

Comment

Working...
                      X