Gustin haul review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gustin haul review

Over the last six months I’ve received a number of purchases from Gustin. Here are some thoughts:

The Classic Belt in Natural ($50.21)

This is a quasi-industrial belt made to last a lifetime or more. The leather is extremely thick and can be difficult to manipulate. It would take a good six months of constant wear to begin to break it in. My quibble is that the belt holes start quite far back from the end so, despite being the right size, it’s impossible to use the center hole. As such, the proportions look slightly off.

White Summer Chambray ($104.00)

I wanted a white chambray as an alternative to my white oxford. This shirt has a great fabric (white chambray is tricky to find) and impeccable, selvedge-edge construction that is arguably a step above Kamakura. However, all Gustin shirts come with fixed sleeve lengths. If you have shorter arms (as I do) you need alterations or to wear the sleeves rolled. As I bought this as a summer shirt to be worn with shorts, I don’t mind rolling the sleeves, but it is a deal breaker for additional shirts. I can get Vintage Ivy shirts from Kamakura that fit my body better.

CXL Natural Classic Boot ($266.53)

This is a great looking boot made with Horween Chromexcel that gets a ton of compliments. However, the leather is incredibly stiff and, despite wearing them extensively to break them in, can be quite painful. I recently saw a similar color in my local Allen Edmonds (that is not on the website) and I wish I had gotten those as I suspect they would be more comfortable.

Natural Low Top Sneakers ($203.00)

The sneakers have great construction and beautiful leather that should age with a nice patina. While far cheaper than the $400 you would pay for Common Projects, they are comparable to the $200 for Epaulet. I’m a minimalist and really like the color and quality of the leather, which I’ve not seen in other sneakers. I wanted them for summer but they didn’t arrive until mid-August. Probably wouldn’t order again unless it were for a leather I really wanted.

Cone BlackXBlack Jeans ($85.00)

Gustin started as a jeans company and this is where they really excel. This is great price for quality denim. It is raw denim and, like so many Gustin offerings, will to a long time to break in. I bought them a size too small so they have room to stretch. They were very tight to button initially, but fit perfectly after a few wears.

Conclusion
    Gustin uses excellent material and selects vendor with high-quality construction standards. They are not only cheaper but much better made than competitor fashion brands like Rag & Bone or Odin. However, I feel their items are designed on paper. They lack the comfort and wearability that comes from controlling the manufacturing process and refining the design in the factory.

Gustin also takes a long time to fulfill orders—and they consistently hit the very outside of the stated window. If I were only shopping at Common Projects and Odin, I would go back to Gustin as the price point is much better. However some select competitors, like Epaulet and Kamakura, provide similar quality and price without the wait. I don’t regret my purchases, but I’ll probably stick to jeans from Gustin in the future.

[MENTION=14298]theplayerking[/MENTION] -- Thanks for the review! Did you wash the jeans yet? Get them hemmed? Is the crocking (transfer of dye) bad? At some point I'll probably buy a pair of Cone Denim jeans, and Gustin seems like a good choice. I always thought raw denim would shrink to fit, but I guess you are saying it expands to fit too, right?

I can't pay $200 for a pair of sneakers, but if I could, I would be tempted to buy those.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex1 View Post
      [MENTION=14298]theplayerking[/MENTION] -- Thanks for the review! Did you wash the jeans yet? Get them hemmed? Is the crocking (transfer of dye) bad? At some point I'll probably buy a pair of Cone Denim jeans, and Gustin seems like a good choice. I always thought raw denim would shrink to fit, but I guess you are saying it expands to fit too, right?

I can't pay $200 for a pair of sneakers, but if I could, I would be tempted to buy those.
      I’ve not washed them yet, but all jeans shrink with washing and stretch with wear. If you wash jeans rarely, it’s better to err on the side of stretching. I also roll my jeans. Call me shallow, but if I’m wearing artisanal selvedge denim—I want people to see the selvedge.

Comment

I have several pairs of their jeans. I normally wear a 32 but wear 33 Straight in Gustins. They are a bit snug, especially right after washing, but going up 1 from your normal size is a pretty good guide with them. I'm fine with their $80-$120 jean range. Anything more than that is not worth it for someone like me who is not a denim head. My favorite pair from them are the 1776 which they just rereleased yesterday. I'll see if I can get a pic of what mine look like now. I did wash and then hem mine immediately but am still getting some fading.
        Last edited by Vicious49; August 28, 2016, 03:25 PM.

Comment

You can see how it's much lighter above the knees than below them were it doesn't really get stretched out or creased at all

Comment

Originally posted by Vicious49 View Post
            I have several pairs of their jeans. I normally wear a 32 but wear 33 Straight in Gustins. They are a bit snug, especially right after washing, but going up 1 from your normal size is a pretty good guide with them. I'm fine with their $80-$120 jean range. Anything more than that is not worth it for someone like me who is not a denim head. My favorite pair from them are the 1776 which they just rereleased yesterday. I'll see if I can get a pic of what mine look like now. I did wash and then hem mine immediately but am still getting some fading.
            I fully agree with you, but than you have to pay more for more quality jeans. Still I feel your jean is going well.
            Eat what is good for your health but
            Wear what is good for your and others eyes

Comment

I'd love to see the 6 month patinas on the leathers

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Comment

Those boots look sharp. Unfortunate to hear they're not comfortable though

Comment

I'm starting to have regrets on going with Gustin sneakers. The long wait is probably just not worth it, not to mention that the latest update reads "but there were some complications".

Comment

Originally posted by fiftyforfifty View Post
                    I fully agree with you, but than you have to pay more for more quality jeans. Still I feel your jean is going well.
                    These seem like quality jeans to me. Paying extra for Zimbabwe cotton or a special silk blend or whatever would be wasted on me.

Comment

[MENTION=14298]theplayerking[/MENTION] I think the AE boot you are referring to is the new Higgins Mill boot. It comes in three shades of Chromexcel - black, dark brown, and natural and is paired with the dainite lugged sole. The shape and profile of the Gustin boot looks very similar to the AE Higgins Mill boot except the AE uses a 360 welt vs and 270 on the Gustin. The Higgins Mill boot is also on sale for $250 and factory 2nds are currently $199. I might pick up a pair of the factory 2nds myself.

Comment

Gustin haul review

Originally posted by crumbsnatcher74 View Post
                        [MENTION=14298]theplayerking[/MENTION] I think the AE boot you are referring to is the new Higgins Mill boot. It comes in three shades of Chromexcel - black, dark brown, and natural and is paired with the dainite lugged sole. The shape and profile of the Gustin boot looks very similar to the AE Higgins Mill boot except the AE uses a 360 welt vs and 270 on the Gustin. The Higgins Mill boot is also on sale for $250 and factory 2nds are currently $199. I might pick up a pair of the factory 2nds myself.
                        You're right. If I could do it over again, I'd go with the Higgins Mill. That sale makes it an especially good deal. A no-brainer really.

Ironically part of the reason for my Gustin experiment was to wear something besides Allen Edmonds, Kamakura and Suitsupply. In the end I couldn't find anything I liked better for the money.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

[MENTION=14298]theplayerking[/MENTION] the only thing I didn't like about the Higgins Mill boot is the side stitching detail. It just doesn't flow as nicely as Gustin's Alden 403 knock off side stitching. I was surprised at how light the boot was in comparison to my Alden Indys. The boot looks sharp on foot.

Comment

Working...
                          X