Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where do your pre-loved suits / blazers / ties / shoes go?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where do your pre-loved suits / blazers / ties / shoes go?

I'll prefect this post with the note that I run www.TailoredConsignment.com so have a vested interest in your replies and thank you for the input.

I always wonder where other men are sending their pre-loved clothing to make room for new items each season.
    Charity Thrift Store (Goodwill / Salvation Army / big metal box that collects clothes)
    63.16%
    Non-Profit type org that helps men with interview clothing (aka [url]www.CareerGear.org[/url])
    0.00%
    Sell them myself somewhere like eBay, Dappered B&S, etc
    31.58%
    Send them to a local or online consignment store/seller
    0.00%
    Other (please explain in a post)
    5.26%

you forgot about hoarding stuff in your closet for all eternity

Comment

Originally posted by flatbear View Post
      you forgot about hoarding stuff in your closet for all eternity
      This.

Comment

First off I want to thank the OP for being honest about who he was, there have been a bunch of spam posters on here lately trying to promote things so this is a welcome change.

Regarding what I do with my old clothes? I'll echo [MENTION=14142]flatbear[/MENTION] and [MENTION=14682]Leanderthal[/MENTION] on this- my old stuff tends to stay in an extra closet and collect dust.

Comment

Blazers and shoes I've sold on eBay/Grailed/StyleForum/Dappered/r/Frugalmalefashion/r/Goodyearwelt.

I have yet to sell a suit or tie. But I do have a bunch of ties I should let go, but probably won't because it would kill me to let them go for pennies on the dollar. I also have a bunch of old suits that I should donate, as I don't think I could sell them for very much.

Comment

Sell or donate. Depending on the value.

Maybe it is just me, but I find the term preloved weird. Especially when used in the context of the first user.

Comment

Since I started with cheaper items I tend to just donate them. The most expensive items I have are SuitSupply suits which I continue to wear and shoes which I continue to wear. The brands I tend to donate were cheap in the first place so I would not make any money reselling and I always forget about that NFP to send clothes to.

Comment

This is going to sound nuts, but there's a J Crew Factory shirt I bought six year ago that I have a sentimental attachment to. It's been with me to Peace Corps and a whole bunch of other places where I have made treasured memories. A few months ago I noticed that the fabric was starting to fray at the edges, so I don't wear it anymore because I don't want it to get completely worn down, but I don't donate it because it's a reminder of all the good times that I've had.

Comment

Donate to goodwill, etc. and the career advancement type places (not those specifically). I wouldn't really wear 2nd hand clothes and selling clothes online seems a bit too much of a hassle for me. Note, I also don't buy a lot of brand heavy items that would hold a decent 2nd hand value, etc.

Comment

I donate and give away.

Originally posted by Brianpore View Post
                    ... have a vested interest in your replies and thank you for the input....
                    I'm curious how you plan to use the poll results and our replies. I doubt that we are a representative sample of customers or suppliers. Maybe you just wanted to plug your website? I have nothing against that, but I think you should say so if you did.

Originally posted by ryn View Post
                    ...Maybe it is just me, but I find the term preloved weird. Especially when used in the context of the first user.
                    It's not just you. It's marketing talk for "good enough condition to sell and make a decent profit."

Comment

Charity. I donate all of my stuff to Goodwill, usually through those big metal bins. What happens to them after that is anyone's guess.

Running shoes though are a different story. Those I take in to the Running Room. Because I go through my running those fairly quickly, they generally still have a lot of life left in them for someone who isn't training or running any races. I know the RR has a good program for sharing them with others in need, I like taking my old running shoes in to them.

Comment

Originally posted by mmgfarb View Post
                        First off I want to thank the OP for being honest about who he was, there have been a bunch of spam posters on here lately trying to promote things so this is a welcome change.

Originally posted by Alex1 View Post
                        I'm curious how you plan to use the poll results and our replies. I doubt that we are a representative sample of customers or suppliers. Maybe you just wanted to plug your website? I have nothing against that, but I think you should say so if you did.
                        Hi, actually I was new here (but have almost 7,000 posts on Styleforum) so wanted to be up front about it, that's all. I could have left that part out as the first poster said. It is actually just a general question as I am curious as to how many people donate vs sell them selfs etc. I put up the same poll on SF as I am curious.

Comment

Working...
                        X