Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Allen Edmonds Park Avenue new cap toe design?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Allen Edmonds Park Avenue new cap toe design?

I recently bought the Park Avenue in merlot and noticed that the cap toe seems to be much more proportional to the overall shoe design than before. I have tried on PA's many times before in the stores and had resisted buying them due to the stubby cap toe. But I took the plunge and ordered the Merlot when it went on clearance. The pair I received last week doesn't look stubby at all. Maybe the many complaints about the stubby toe caused Allen Edmonds to change the look?

Originally posted by watch37 View Post
    I recently bought the Park Avenue in merlot and noticed that the cap toe seems to be much more proportional to the overall shoe design than before. I have tried on PA's many times before in the stores and had resisted buying them due to the stubby cap toe. But I took the plunge and ordered the Merlot when it went on clearance. The pair I received last week doesn't look stubby at all. Maybe the many complaints about the stubby toe caused Allen Edmonds to change the look?
    got a pic?

Comment

FWIW. My first pair of AEs were a pair hand-me-down Merlot Park Aves my dad got in the early 80s and they don't have the stubby cap toe. At some point along the way they changed the design but maybe they kept the longer cap toe for that colorway.

Comment

I got the black calf, merlot calf, and brown shell PAs and the merlot one seems to have longer cap.

Comment

AE says on the product page for the Hopkinson - the Independence Collection, luxury version of the Park Avenue - that the design team decided that it would have a longer cap than the Park Avenue does. I think we can conclude from that that the cap on the Park Avenue is still the same length as it has been in recent years.

http://www.allenedmonds.com/shoes/me...ds/SF7685.html (See also the Customer Service team's answer to the question of how the shoe differs from the Park Avenue: "The Hopkinson is built on a different last than the Park Avenue. Although these lasts are similar the Hopkinson will have a slightly wider forefront and a higher cone rise which will accommodate for a higher instep. Also, the design team has decided to make the toe cap of the Hopkinson a bit longer than the Park Avenue. While Allen Edmonds still uses the highest quality calf skin that we can source for all of our styles, the Independence collection that the Hopkinson is part of is made from a higher grade of leather. This style also features lambskin lining vs the calf skin lining that we use on the Park Avenue.")

Comment

Originally posted by Geo View Post
            FWIW. My first pair of AEs were a pair hand-me-down Merlot Park Aves my dad got in the early 80s and they don't have the stubby cap toe. At some point along the way they changed the design but maybe they kept the longer cap toe for that colorway.
            i wore a pair of merlot park avenues for over a year then sold them when i realized how bad the stubby cap toe looked.

Comment

Originally posted by Scofield View Post
              i wore a pair of merlot park avenues for over a year then sold them when i realized how bad the stubby cap toe looked.
              The cap on the pair I got from my father is a good size but I do know what you mean. For the longest time I never understood what everyone was complaining about until I bought a new pair of PAs. Then I was like, "Oh. Now I get it." The difference is comical. I'll try to upload a side-by-side picture when I get home.

Comment

Originally posted by 3piece View Post
                I got the black calf, merlot calf, and brown shell PAs and the merlot one seems to have longer cap.
                Then it must be that the Merlot for some reason has a more balanced cap toe. For a moment I thought I was imagining it!

Comment

Working...
                X