No announcement yet.

opinions in v gaps in oxfords?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So now I know "V gap" is a thing...my V gap on the AE 5 last was up to 1.25" before--similar to the picture in the first post. If I pull them really tight, I can take off half-an-inch or so. Now I'll be self conscious about my feet not looking like footballs. Thank goodness for the Labor Day tent sale--I have to replace all my AE's...

Comment

Originally posted by connersw View Post
      Those shoes do not fit.
      I don't understand this. I've got a gap about that size on a pair of Fifth Aves I'm wearing today. I walk a bit more than a mile to and from work every day and the shoes stay on my feet and are comfortable. How do my shoes not fit me???

I just don't see how this is the same as sleeves being too long or jackets being too short.
      Last edited by aps2012; August 25, 2016, 12:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex1 View Post
        I have a somewhat high instep; so, I have a pretty large v-gap on my 5-last Allen Edmonds balmoral shoes. My feet were measured at the AE store, and I was told that I had the correct size.

For me, this issue falls into the "perfect" is the enemy of "good enough" category. See Joe's article:

https://dappered.com/2014/03/why-pur...yle-is-stupid/

The important point here is to not let something like this make you feel any less confident. If you enjoy shoe shopping and have some money to burn, then go ahead and spend the extra time and money to find the perfect fit. I might do that one day, but for now, I'm very happy with what I have.
        Agreed. I also don't buy that the gap is a question of the shoe being too narrow. I usually buy D-width AEs, but C width is actually better for me. I both measure as a C and have tried Cs on in store and found them comfortable. However, AE doesn't make many shoes in a C width, and the B is too narrow. As I usually buy AE at the Shoe Bank or on clearance, I can't often find one I like in a C width. I'd rather have the shoe be slightly - and it is ever so slightly - wider than it should be than be too narrow. I still have a gap with many of my shoes even though they are slightly wider than they would ideally be. And they are all perfectly comfortable, especially after I break them in.
        Last edited by srlclark; August 25, 2016, 12:36 PM.

Comment

He has a very traditional view of what fits and what doesn't. It's not "supposed" to have a gap, so if it does have a gap, it doesn't fit. And as "fit" has two meanings - both how something is supposed to look and how something should feel - but they often get blurred into one, the conclusion traditionalists draw is that if it doesn't look as it is "supposed" to look and if that means it doesn't fit, then it can't be comfortable, even if it is comfortable.

On the two meanings of "fit," note that it is also the case that sleeves that are too long or jackets that are too short could also be comfortable. They just don't look like they are supposed to look.

Originally posted by aps2012 View Post
          I don't understand this. I've got a gap about that size on a pair of Fifth Aves I'm wearing today. I walk a bit more than a mile to and from work every day and the shoes stay on my feet and are comfortable. How do my shoes not fit me???

I just don't see how this is the same as sleeves being too long or jackets being too short.

Comment

Originally posted by aps2012 View Post

If your shoe has a gap that big, there are two possible reasons.

1) You have flat feet and the shoe is not wide enough. It won't be as comfortable because it is probably also too narrow in the toe box. Try a wider sizer.
            2) You have a high arch and the vamp is not tall enough. It won't be as comfortable because the shoe is now being held on by shoelaces pulling across the top of your foot as opposed to more of the leather wrapping your foot. You can try a larger or wider size, but if that makes the ball of your foot not line up correctly or the toe box too big, you should try a different last or brand.

Eventually, the leather can start to pull and spread leading to gaping at the top of the shoe. Fortunately, AE uses 6-eyelets on most of their shoes as opposed to 5-eyelets where that can get more prominent. The extra eyelet helps lock the heel down so it doesn't pull as much.

My comment regarding jackets was not about comfort, but rather that this forum seems to vacillate between fit is king and it's good enough. While I agree that MTM perfection is an exhausting goal, if something really doesn't fit, we should be honest in saying it doesn't fit regardless of how good a deal we got. Take a look at [MENTION=4069]JBarwick[/MENTION] picture from WIWT the other day. His fit is always on point and so were his shoes. Are they laced up perfectly tight closing the V? No, but they are great fit that doesn't have to be perfection. Now compare that to the first picture in this thread where the leather doesn't even wrap around his talus on the right foot.

Comment

Originally posted by connersw View Post
              This is the main problem with AE balmorals. Most popular models are on the 5 last which no longer accomodates the modern American mans foot. I really wish they would switch more of them to the 7.
              I'm not a fan of AE's 5 last. It does not work well for my foot. I have a high instep/arch as well as a bit wider in the toes.

Comment

Originally posted by Vicious49 View Post
                I'm not a fan of AE's 5 last. It does not work well for my foot. I have a high instep/arch as well as a bit wider in the toes.
                Lots of people aren't fans, but I don't really know what is meant by "the modern American man's foot" here, unless both you and connersw purport to represent all modern American men. The 5 last fits me just fine.

Comment

"2) You have a high arch and the vamp is not tall enough. It won't be as comfortable because the shoe is now being held on by shoelaces pulling across the top of your foot as opposed to more of the leather wrapping your foot."

[MENTION=13775]connersw[/MENTION] nailed it right here for me. I found that going up to an E width allowed for comfort across the top of my foot on my oxford bal's (mcallisters,strands) while i could get away with a D width on the open lacing of a blucher (macneil,yorktown).

Comment

Working...
                  X