opinions in v gaps in oxfords?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

more i look at my shoes, the more these are starting to bother me...

I have the strands in walnut, dark chili and chocolate suede and the v gap is definitely pronounced on these (about an inch at the top). I do have a slightly high instep. Thoughts?

Not me, but this is how my strands look:

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20140311/4yqu2ysu.jpg
    Last edited by Scofield; August 23, 2016, 06:59 PM.

That gap doesn't look big to me - I always thought up to an inch was considered appropriate, even by purists.

That said, you might be able to sell the chili Strand for a good price, as Nordstrom appears to have stopped selling it and it was a Nordstrom exclusive. There are a few floating around the Shoebank, but not many. The same might be true of the chocolate suede one, but that's probably a pretty similar color to the snuff suede version they introduced in the last week or two.

Comment

My Strands do this too, maybe a little less than an inch. They're the only pair of shoes I have that I have had this problem with. Bothered me at first, doesn't anymore. I've even seen AE advertisements where they gap some. But if those suede are a 9 and you're not happm with them....

Comment

That gap looks big to me, but if they're new they'll probably close a little bit more as they stretch out over time. I always have the opposite problem since I have a low instep and a low-volume foot in general--even my bluchers have quarters that are very close to touching

Comment

I get an E width to get the laces to close properly on oxfords. Those shoes look very narrow.
          Last edited by theplayerking; August 23, 2016, 08:51 PM.

Comment

Make of this what you will, but a month or so ago I was chatting, but not shopping, with the manager of my local Allen Edmonds store. I asked if he'd measure my foot since I'd never had a proper measurement as I get all of my shoes from the shoe bank. I came in at an 11, so he told me that I'd typically wear a 10.5 in AE shoes. I mentioned that mine were all 10.5 except for the McAllister, in which I needed an 11 to get the gap to close. All of my other shoes are bluchers, the McAllisters are my only balmorals. He told me that I probably should be wearing a 10.5 in the balmorals too, and that the gap is normal and should be expected, even with my rather flat feet.

Personally, I still kind of think the gap looks wrong, and I feel like the 11 looks better on me in the McAllister, but he was serious enough that if I buy another pair of balmorals I'd probably look more closely at the 10.5. He insists that he gets questions about the gaps all the time and that he tries hard to get people to not worry about it. It sounds like he often finds his recommendations ignored.

So that's an educated opinion from someone who wasn't trying to sell me anything--at least that day. As for whether your gap is too much gap, that's another question, although I kind of got the sense that the right amount of gap is however much gap you get in the shoe that otherwise fits you.

As an aside, I'll note that I think I got the blucher/balmoral terminology right, but if I goofed it up I apologize. It doesn't stick in my head at all and I had to google it.

Comment

Originally posted by theplayerking View Post
              I get an E width to get the laces to close properly on oxfords. Those shoes look very narrow.
              I also go with an E with most of the AE's I have. They do look a little tight on you, but it's hard to say, they could feel just fine on your feet and I wouldn't be able to tell, feet are weird like that.

Comment

Dmerch - I've had a pretty similar experience. I went to my local AE store with a pair of 10.5E Strands with a decently wide gap at the top for a proper fitting. The store manager suggested I should wear a 10 - and the fit seemed fine to me. This manager also mentioned that he gets the question about closing the top on balmorals quite frequently - and indeed, he received a call asking that exact question while I was there.

Comment

Oxfords are tricky to fit, which I suspect is why most stores don't stock many of them.

Incidentally, I think Carmina shoes are beautiful, but I won't buy a pair of their oxfords. They don't come in variable widths and don't lace properly on my feet. It's also why I don't buy oxfords online. I have to try various widths and sizes to get the one that's right.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                  Last edited by theplayerking; August 23, 2016, 10:34 PM.

Comment

I have the same scenario with the v gap. However, I have a higher instep. I would have to size up in width a significant amount to account for it to the point the shoes would be uncomfortable. It does not bother me and no one has ever said anything. Even I do not look at it on other people. But I am not a foot guy anyway

Comment

Those shoes do not fit. The v does not have to completely close. In fact, if it does, they are too big and will probably crease funny. However, that gap is too wide. You can try a bigger width, but it should fit the ball of your foot well first, then lace well.

This is the main problem with AE balmorals. Most popular models are on the 5 last which no longer accomodates the modern American mans foot. I really wish they would switch more of them to the 7.

No, no one is going to say something to you, but there are people who will notice. More importantly, you are wearing a shoe that isn't as comfortable as it could be. If a wider size is too wide across the toe box, you can try the JAB or BB version--some of those are on the 7.

I see this mostly with shoes, then jackets, then pants. Not every style of every brand fits everyone. If a shirt didn't fit right, you wouldn't wear it. Maybe it's due to the higher cost associated with the items. If you think you got a good deal on a high value item, you want to force it, even when the fit is off.

Comment

Originally posted by ac6 View Post
                        That gap looks big to me, but if they're new they'll probably close a little bit more as they stretch out over time.
                        This is my experience as well. If you buy shoes where the gap is too close there's the risk that they will stretch out to the point where the laces come together and the shoe is too loose. To the OP - how long have you worn your Stands?

Comment

I have a somewhat high instep; so, I have a pretty large v-gap on my 5-last Allen Edmonds balmoral shoes. My feet were measured at the AE store, and I was told that I had the correct size.

For me, this issue falls into the "perfect" is the enemy of "good enough" category. See Joe's article:

https://dappered.com/2014/03/why-pur...yle-is-stupid/

The important point here is to not let something like this make you feel any less confident. If you enjoy shoe shopping and have some money to burn, then go ahead and spend the extra time and money to find the perfect fit. I might do that one day, but for now, I'm very happy with what I have.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex1 View Post
                            for now, I'm very happy with what I have.
                            That's the only thing that matters. Perfect is overrated.

Comment

TIL: that this was an issue for people, the world is a curious place.

Comment

Working...
                              X