Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Clarks Men's Bushacre 2 Desert Boot Durability?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Alex1 View Post
    I've heard AE won't last very long if you wear them every day
    This right here is a great way to ruin just about any leather shoe. You should let them air out between uses w/ some shoe trees, otherwise all that moisture just sits in the shoe and ruins it.

Comment

I've heard AE won't last very long if you wear them every day, but I'm not going to test mine out. I own some AE with leather soles, dainite soles, and the tap sole. The dainite soles show the least amount of wear. I get the impression leather soled shoes can last longer than 3 years if you wear them once or twice a week, but dainite can last longer than 4 or 5 years. Your maintenance routine, the way you walk, the size and shape of your foot, the weather, and the surfaces you walk on (concrete vs. carpet) all play a role in longevity.
      I don't think any shoe will last very long if you wear them every day, to be honest. I'm willing to bet that two pairs of shoes worn in a rotation will last you a longer time than those same two pairs worn every day, one after the other.

Comment

Originally posted by ac6 View Post
        I don't think any shoe will last very long if you wear them every day, to be honest. I'm willing to bet that two pairs of shoes worn in a rotation will last you a longer time than those same two pairs worn every day, one after the other.
        I completely agree, and I feel the same way. However, the skeptical scientist in me will always have doubts until I see solid evidence.

Comment

I completely agree, and I feel the same way. However, the skeptical scientist in me will always have doubts until I see solid evidence.
          Agreed. Show me some data!

If true, however, I'm wondering how people typically go about rotating shoes. I have a 2-3 pair that I can wear to work on a given day. But it seems like one would have to be pretty rigid in order not to wear two days in a row. I choose what to wear based on any number of things: how they work with the rest of the clothes I'm wearing, what socks are clean, what's more comfortable, or even, *gasp* just which ones I like or think look best. So wear ends up being somewhat uneven and I do often wear shoes two days in a row. What does everybody do about this?

Comment

Originally posted by Dougie View Post
            Also, actually if you guys don't mind weighing in, I'm trying to decide between two different versions, but not really sure what the difference is other than the price tag. Any opinions are welcome:

http://www.thebay.com/webapp/wcs/sto...t-leather--24?

http://www.thebay.com/webapp/wcs/sto...-26106562--24?

The description for the cheaper of the two says its a crepe sole, so based on the earlier comment of Alex1, maybe that's the better bet anyway from a durability stand-point?
            The $170 pair is lined, so I'm curious if they are the made in England ones and the $140 pair are the Vietnamese ones.

Comment

Damn, I literally just placed the order for $140 pair about 30 minutes ago and then saw this. Thanks for the info regardless, if I'm not impressed with the finish and quality of the first pair I may return them and go for the $170 pair. (Again I would only buy either of these because I won a $100 gift card for HB, so I'm sort of playing with house money)

Comment

I bought a pair of the dessert boots early this summer. They're the (I think) discontinued model made from Horween #8 Chromexcel. I don't find them super comfortable for walking, and I probably should have gone down a size, but I love them because the leather is so pretty I just want to pet them. I like them so much that I keep thinking about seeking out another pair, in the correct size, just to keep in reserve. But I'm hoping these last a while, and reckoning that by the time I need to replace them I'll have fallen in love with a different shoe in an equally stunning leather.

In case anyone is interested, you can still find the horween #8 model priced in the neighborhood of a hundred bucks. Amazon has a few pairs left, but not in my size, and the prices have gone up. Search for "wine" color. They may not be labeled as Horween, but you can often see the Horween logo inside the boot if they photograph it from the right angle.

Comment

I think the biggest factor on how long shoes last, is how often one wears them. Shoes are the piece of clothing that is subjected by far to the most wear and tear. We literally step on them, and the outer sole is the part that receives the most damage.

My guess is a rubber sole is good for a certain amount of steps, variable on the surface being walked on, and perhaps the wearer's gait.

The type of rubber, is probably the factor we control the easiest. My guess is that harder rubber lasts longer, and I have heard crepe rubber being soft wears out fast. We can also guess that well regarded brands like Vibram or Danite would last longer, but again we are lacking data.

An experiment wouldn't be that hard to conduct. One would just need a bunch of shoes and a micrometer to measure the soles. I am tempted to start a Kickstarter and do it myself.

Comment

I have a pair of moccasins from Clark's that I purchased almost two years back, and they are ageing pretty decently.

Comment

Working...
                    X