Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Clarks Men's Bushacre 2 Desert Boot Durability?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clarks Men's Bushacre 2 Desert Boot Durability?

Had the Clarks Men's Bushacre 2 Desert Boot for less than 2 years, but the sole has cracked.

Anyone else have durability issues with these?

The two shoe repair shops I took them to said they were not able to be resoled.

Bummer. Did you wear them often? It looks like the sole was worn quite thin where it cracked, but perhaps that's just an illusion.
    I'm about to pick up a pair for the fall. If you wore them very often, I'd say $60 for a pair every two years isn't too bad.

Comment

I had my first pair for about 2 years as well before the upper and sole started to separate. But I did wear them really frequently, including here and there in the snow. Bought another pair without thinking too much about it and they're still my go-to for fall and winter. Comfortable (once broken in) and you can wear them with just about anything. I've put Sno-Seal on each of my pairs to darken them up a bit and offer some water resistance.

If you're looking for something a little higher quality, I'm sure there are plenty of folks around here who could recommend a classic chukka that's more expensive but might last you a little longer. Just not in my price range right now, and my Clarks treat me well.

Comment

The Allen Edmonds Dundee 2.0 would be the obvious choice for a more expensive chukka that's still relatively affordable if you save up and wait for a sale. It retails for $395, or for $299 for a second at the Allen Edmonds' Shoebank, but in a sale will go down to about $200-$250. It's available in black, brown, and walnut leather, in brown pebble grain, and in loden (dark green), snuff (medium brown), and bitter chocolate (dark brown) suede.

If you don't mind taking the risk with ordering internationally, Loake has two very highly rated chukkas in the same sort of general price range as AE that, because of the exchange rate, will currently be far cheaper for Americans. They are the Pimlico and the Kempton. They are both 215 UK pounds, which would ordinarily be upwards of $325, but is currently more like $280. The Pimlico is sold in black and dark brown leather, and in dark brown and tan suede. The Kempton is available in black leather and (medium) brown suede - a tone similar to the Dundee in snuff. (The Pimlico's dark brown suede is more like the Dundee's bitter chocolate). I tried on a pair of Kemptons in London a couple of months ago. It's very soft, supple suede, and if you've only had cheaper suede before, I'm sure you'll be impressed with the quality. But be very sure you know your size in British dress shoes. I thought I had a good idea of mine, but the salespeople thought I was a full size smaller than I said I was and kept trying me to buy a pair that made my feet ache with how tight they were. As a result, I didn't buy the Kempton.

Meermin may well make a chukka in the same sort of price and quality range, but I don't know their inventory well.

If you want something even more expensive, I'm sure Carmina, Alden, and some other British boot makers have some good options, too.

Comment

I have read online of people saying they have been told that they can't be resoled, but yet found a repair shop that could. I suggest you keep looking.

Comment

I agree with everything @srclark said about the next tier of chukkas. Keep in mind that resoling any of those shoes will likely cost about the same as a brand new pair of Clarks.

I'm curious how often OP wore those shoes too. I'm also wondering if maybe the Original Desert Boots (with the crepe sole) are more durable than the Bushacre 2.

FWIW, my dark brown suede Bushacre 2 boots are in great shape. I think they are a year old. I wore them a lot at first, but now I have more shoes in my rotation, and I prefer not to wear boots during the summer.

Comment

I've had mine for 2 years and have held up fine. I wear them several times a week during fall/winter/spring and always when there was precipitation (which happens regularly during those seasons herein northern VA). Still going strong.

Comment

No issues with mine. At $60, anything past two years of life is gravy IMO.

Comment

I've had my Bushacres for two and a half years, and they are still holding up great.
                  Ben

Comment

Just for economics sake, Clarks have an MSRP around $120, but can be got between $60 and $90. Comparing the low end of the price scale, that is $60 for 2 years vs $200 at how many? For AE's to be worth it, they would have to last 6 years before a new sole.

Comment

Originally posted by ryn View Post
                      Just for economics sake, Clarks have an MSRP around $120, but can be got between $60 and $90. Comparing the low end of the price scale, that is $60 for 2 years vs $200 at how many? For AE's to be worth it, they would have to last 6 years before a new sole.
                      I don't look at it quite the same way. With decent care a pair of AE's can last an incredibly long time as you can resole them. The Clarks on the other hand, probably won't hold up as well over an extended period of time. However, as far as bang for your buck goes the Clarks are an absolute beast.

Comment

Originally posted by ryn View Post
                        Someone on Reddit picked up a pair of Clarks for $35 and posted the receipt here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/frugalmalef...ross_for_3499/

Your economic argument is pretty accurate in my experience. You will save money in the long run if you only buy $60 shoes and throw them away when they wear out rather than buy and resole Allen Edmonds shoes. I spent many years buying and throwing away cheap shoes. However, an old, but well maintained, pair of Allen Edmonds looks a hell of a lot nicer than a brand new $60 pair of shoes in my opinion. I have a rotation of every day beater shoes that are less than $100 each though (JC Penney Gunners, Clarks Bushacre 2, J. Crew bucks, boat shoes, sneakers).

Comment

Yeah, I got a pair of the Clarks B2 for $35, but ultimately returned them b/c they were nice, but not great. Guess I should have passed the deal along to someone here.

Comment

I'm looking at buying my first pair shortly, do you guys use shoe trees in yours? If so, I'll need to buy an extra pair.

Comment

Also, actually if you guys don't mind weighing in, I'm trying to decide between two different versions, but not really sure what the difference is other than the price tag. Any opinions are welcome:

http://www.thebay.com/webapp/wcs/sto...t-leather--24?

http://www.thebay.com/webapp/wcs/sto...-26106562--24?

The description for the cheaper of the two says its a crepe sole, so based on the earlier comment of Alex1, maybe that's the better bet anyway from a durability stand-point?

Comment

Working...
                              X