Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• evanparker
    replied
    the traditional crepe rubber sole on the most typical chukkas are very very soft, and bad for walking if you want your shoes to last more than a year.

I would suggest that you might want one with more dense rubber sole.

Leave a comment:

• ryn
    replied
    Just an update. I bought some AE Wilberts on eBay for much less than I expected. Thanks for your help everyone.

Leave a comment:

• ryn
    replied
    Originally posted by fiftyforfifty View Post
    One of the reviews in NewYork times

"Many guides, like Michael Furillo of Tauck, prefer Timberland. (Geox, Mephisto and Clarks are also popular.)

Paul Wormsbaecher, who leads tours for Trafalgar in Germany, Austria, Hungary and the Czech Republic, said his favorite Clarks style is the Aston Mind loafer because it’s light and has a no-slip rubber base."
    What kind of guides are they? I was thinking hiking, but the Aston Mind doesn't seem right for the Alps.

Leave a comment:

• ryn
    replied
    Thanks for all the advice, I have been looking around to see what is available. I also read somewhere that my wear pattern on my shoes( they're worn very unevenly) could be fixed with arch supports, so hopefully that will help my shoes last longer.

Leave a comment:

• fiftyforfifty
    replied
    One of the reviews in NewYork times

"Many guides, like Michael Furillo of Tauck, prefer Timberland. (Geox, Mephisto and Clarks are also popular.)

Paul Wormsbaecher, who leads tours for Trafalgar in Germany, Austria, Hungary and the Czech Republic, said his favorite Clarks style is the Aston Mind loafer because it’s light and has a no-slip rubber base."

Leave a comment:

• APinNC
    replied
    No clue, as I have never owned a pair of Clarks. I've had both pair of Timbos for over two years and the soles are just starting to show wear. The Wodes are definitely pricey, but worth it. Now that I've had a pair, I continue to look for them used on ebay

Leave a comment:

• ryn
    replied
    Originally posted by APinNC View Post
    Timberland Wodehouse Chukkas are comfortable for me. As are the Cap Toe Earthkeeper
    Couldn't find the Wodehouse for sale. What would you say the durability difference between Clarks and Timberland? I am thinking about something with a crepe sole.

Leave a comment:

• Rawfull
    replied
    Finding the right size in AE can be difficult for some and I'm sorry you're in that boat. Do you happen to live near an AE store? If you really do like AE's but can't quite find your size a master fitter could help solve your sizing problem.

Leave a comment:

• zerostyle
    replied
    Originally posted by armedferret View Post
    Considering the ridiculously huge range of sizing and lasts available, how is that even possible?
    Got me. I've tried quite a few. The other main problem is that nearly all of their desirable models are on the same (5) last.

Leave a comment:

• armedferret
    replied
    Originally posted by zerostyle View Post
    AE's never fit me
    Considering the ridiculously huge range of sizing and lasts available, how is that even possible?

Leave a comment:

• ryn
    replied
    Originally posted by devastitis View Post
    Can you specify what your limited budget is?
    Good question. I still have to figure that out. What I am worried about though is buying something cheap, and paying for it in the long run, because it only lasts a quarter as long.

Leave a comment:

• APinNC
    replied
    Timberland Wodehouse Chukkas are comfortable for me. As are the Cap Toe Earthkeeper

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Charles
    replied
    AE Wilbert is a pretty comfortable walking shoe. During sales they can be picked up from the Shoebank for under $200. Or you can check ebay for gently used pairs.

Leave a comment:

• devastitis
    replied
    Can you specify what your limited budget is?

Leave a comment:

• ryn
    replied
    I don't think I need anything so fancy. I think chukkas will be best for me. I am wondering if I should go for the crepe rubber, or if it made sense to get something more durable. I am trying to get the most value due to my limited budget.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X