Good shoes for walking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good shoes for walking

I moved to Germany last year, and since then I have done a lot more walking, as I don't have a car. I easily walk 6-8 miles a day just going places. Does anyone have a suggestion for shoes that go with anything and won't wear out too fast?

Sleek suede chukkas or chelseas with a rubber sole. You can wear them with jeans all the way up to a suit if they are dressy enough.

Comment

Do you have a more specific suggestion? What should I look for qualitywise? There are a bunch of both chukkas and Chelseas out there and they all seem the same to me.

Comment

Originally posted by ryn View Post
        Do you have a more specific suggestion?
        What would you be wearing these do-everything shoes with? Once you get into creased trousers territory, your choices get more limited.

Comment

I'd aim for something with a Dainite sole. Far more durable than leather, and not as ugly as regular rubber soles.
          Here's an example of an AE strand with that sole: http://www.allenedmonds.com/shoes/me...le/SF6104.html

That said, AE's never fit me and I don't find them that comfortable. You might have more luck.

For rainy days you could consider a boot with mini-lug soles. (they look like this: http://www.danner.com/forest-heights-ii-piedmont.html - durable, but not as bulky as full lug boots).

Comment

I don't think I need anything so fancy. I think chukkas will be best for me. I am wondering if I should go for the crepe rubber, or if it made sense to get something more durable. I am trying to get the most value due to my limited budget.

Comment

Can you specify what your limited budget is?

Comment

AE Wilbert is a pretty comfortable walking shoe. During sales they can be picked up from the Shoebank for under $200. Or you can check ebay for gently used pairs.

Comment

Timberland Wodehouse Chukkas are comfortable for me. As are the Cap Toe Earthkeeper
                  We are here to drink beer. We are here to kill war. We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.” ― Charles Bukowski

Comment

Originally posted by devastitis View Post
                    Can you specify what your limited budget is?
                    Good question. I still have to figure that out. What I am worried about though is buying something cheap, and paying for it in the long run, because it only lasts a quarter as long.

Comment

Originally posted by zerostyle View Post
                      AE's never fit me
                      Considering the ridiculously huge range of sizing and lasts available, how is that even possible?
                      https://www.professorhorseyhead.com

Comment

Originally posted by armedferret View Post
                        Considering the ridiculously huge range of sizing and lasts available, how is that even possible?
                        Got me. I've tried quite a few. The other main problem is that nearly all of their desirable models are on the same (5) last.

Comment

Finding the right size in AE can be difficult for some and I'm sorry you're in that boat. Do you happen to live near an AE store? If you really do like AE's but can't quite find your size a master fitter could help solve your sizing problem.

Comment

Originally posted by APinNC View Post
                            Timberland Wodehouse Chukkas are comfortable for me. As are the Cap Toe Earthkeeper
                            Couldn't find the Wodehouse for sale. What would you say the durability difference between Clarks and Timberland? I am thinking about something with a crepe sole.

Comment

No clue, as I have never owned a pair of Clarks. I've had both pair of Timbos for over two years and the soles are just starting to show wear. The Wodes are definitely pricey, but worth it. Now that I've had a pair, I continue to look for them used on ebay
                              We are here to drink beer. We are here to kill war. We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.” ― Charles Bukowski

Comment

Working...
                              X