What to wear?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What to wear?

Hey guys I need some combo ideas real quick.

This Saturday I'm going to my girlfriends parent's 20th anniversary party. It's going to be at a banquet hall with a couple hundred people there.

I don't want to dress too formal. I want to wear my charcoal suit though but are there ways that I can dress it down?

Also are brown shoes too blah? For this kind of event? Ugh I'm so lost right now.

20th anniversary is a pretty big deal and you're the daughter's boyfriend. I'd say it's okay to wear a suit given the setting and occasion. But also think about the photos that you'll be taking - many will be with your girlfriend and also with her family. What's she wearing? What about her mom and dad? Do you think her dad is going to wear a suit? If they're going to dress up, I would too if I were you! Don't know what you mean by brown shoes being too blah. Sounds fine. A nice blue or white shirt is classic, or you can go with a different color if you want. If you want to dress it down and you're comfortable with the tieless suit look, that's an easy way to dress down the suit. It also ensures you'll look/dress younger than her dad, which is a good thing

Comment

Is there a dress code that's required and/or suggested on the invitation? (assuming there was a formal invitation, of course... which there may not have been)

Sounds like it's somewhat of a formal event, given the banquet hall location and amount of invitees. I don't think you would feel too overdressed with a suit unless, well, you feel like you'd feel overdressed. You could opt for a sportcoat/blazer and slacks instead, which would dress it down.

For dressing down a suit, you could go the no-tie route (which some people like, some dislike, around here). You could also mix in more patterns/colors/textures in the shirt/tie.

And I'd definitely say wear brown shoes vs. black (I'm assuming that's the choice). Black would be more formal than brown, IMO.

Comment

Nice start and here is a great opp to make the DAD think your even more awesome than he thought...If you want to casual down the suit where a patterned shirt, bengal stripe or pinstripe, with only 1 button undone...dont wear a tie(but have collar stays)and wear brown wings, if its warm, go sockless...

"The key to Success is the Quality of Execution"
        I>0<I

Comment

Suit Up!

Comment

I agree with max on this one. Suit, a patterned shirt without a tie makes you look younger, not to stuffy, but also well dressed without looking too formal.

The only thing I disagree on is if your suit is a dark charcoal, I'd still wear black shoes instead of brown. Could wear bright socks though

Comment

Yeah it's going to be a formal event.

Thanks for the tips guys. I definitely was going to suit up for this event. My girlfriend is clueless as to what she's wearing. (She needs to step her game up) (lol)

I want to accessorize well too. I have some patterned pocket squares from Lands End Canvas that I'd like to use to kinda brighten up my outfit. What do you guys think?

Also I'm leaning toward my black shoes now.

I know that no tie would make me look younger but I really want to wear a tie hehe. I just turned 25 yesterday so I think it'd be nice.

Comment

Tie is just fine for a 25 yr old at this sort of thing. I'd say have at the pocket square as well, it's an event where you can look nice without having to be totally conservative either.

Comment

I have an idea of what I want to wear. I'm going to get my haircut and go to some vintage stores tomorrow in the city to see if I can find a nice accessory or something to make my outfit pop on Saturday.

Wish me luck.

I'll be sure to post a pic.

Comment

get a lapel thing if your gonig to a vintage store...i think it would help...

"The key to Success is the Quality of Execution"
                    I>0<I

Comment

Yeah I was thinking a lapel pin thing. I've never done that.

Comment

Working...
                      X