G-Shocks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

G-Shocks

I know they're not everyone's cup of tea, but they sort of fit in with my general aesthetic, which I sometimes describe as 1 part urban, 1 part rugged, and 1 part classic.

I'm thinking of getting one for the gym, swimming, super casual wear, etc, but I'm sort of overwhelmed by the choices (there seem to be hundreds of models!). Plus I have small wrists, which makes it even tougher.

So - are there any G-Shock fans among us? Any recommendations or favorite models?

I like G-Shocks. Not to the degree you see in some people, though, and I prefer mine to be the simple, basic kind. There's something eminently practical about them - readily available, relatively inexpensive, durable, water-resistant, multi-functional.

The watch I wore for my Hawaiian vacation was a basic, black DW5600-E - the entry-level, square-designed G-Shock that has been around since the mid-'90s and is based on the previous square designs of the '80s. Personally, I think it's one of the best because of its relative simplicity and smaller size. I've worn other G-Shocks but I think the 5600 styles are generally better on thinner wrists. You can get them at Target or Wal-Mart for $45-50.

Coincidentally, I know a handful of folks in my law school who are former military people, and they all wear a DW5600-E. Probably because of its price, availability, and toughness.

Ben

Comment

That's a classic watch and perfect for smaller wrists. I have the same one, except it has a negative display.

Comment

I have small wrists too and you want to be careful or you'll end up with a hockey puck on your wrist. It's been a while since I've looked into watches but I'll point out my favorites from back then.

My watch for 2 years has been a G-Shock GW-M5600BC. I really dig the bracelet.

It's a pretty classic G-Shock shape but a bit updated. Solar powered and atomic. Unfortunately I don't think this model is available any more. The standard version is still available I think. GW-M5600. However it lacks the bracelet and negative display. The GW5000 is better but I don't think that's easily found anymore either.

I might go with the GW6900BC if I was buying a watch now. Also, solar powered and atomic. Again, there's the standard version GW6900.

If I was going the analog route it would be the MTG-1000. Again I'm afraid this isn't readily available anymore either.

Hopefully that gave you some ideas. Unfortunately some of my picks are a bit dated so they aren't easily found anymore. Also, I don't really know what your tastes are in watches. I recommend also maybe checking out the g-shock watchuseek forum.

Comment

I have an G-SHOCK from back in the day that I could sell you if you're interested. I bought this back in the day and it's still in pretty good condition (minus some signs of light wear - see pic), but I no longer wear it. The model is G-2210.

I have small wrists, and it this securely fits with 1-2 holes to go so I'm 95% sure you won't have any issue.

I can send you additional pics if you're interested.

Comment

D4rkRXN, that's exactly the one I have.

Comment

@Chareth You have the same watch as me? The GW-M5600BC? Haha. Nice. How long have you had it?

Edit: OMG GW-M5610BC. It's the GW-M5600BC but it fixes the countdown timer and is multiband 6. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PejVoVhxNQ

Comment

I wore the DW5600-E with a nylon strap for years as my work watch until the battery died and then I "upgraded" to a Timex Expedition.

I wouldn't wear it out on a Saturday night or even a Sunday lunch but it definitely works for a work watch and for the gym.

I also noticed some pilots wearing G-Shocks.

Comment

@D4rkRXN, I've had it for a few years. I don't really keep track of the alphabet soup of Casio model numbers, but mine looks like that and has both solar charging and atomic clock syncing (which is fickle). I'm just assuming it's the same one.

Comment

@Chareth Haha. Alphabet soup, indeed. I have no idea how I manage to keep track of model numbers. It does sound like you have the same one. And FYI the model number is listed on the back of the watch on the metal casing.

Comment

As far as the alphabet soup goes - I can recognize the 5600s and the 6900s, but everything else is a blur unless it involves a nickname (Frogman, Mudman, Riseman, etc.).

Ben

Comment

Thanks guys, really helpful responses. I know that the 5600 series is really the sensible choice for my wrist size, but truth be told, aesthetically I'm more of a 6900 type guy. After poking around a bit on the watchuseek forums, I think I'm deciding between one of the 5600s and a Mudman, which has the more bulky, 6900-esque look, but apparently wears a lot smaller on the wrist. Here's an example, just for reference (btw, I love this colorway but I've read that the negative display is a pain to read, so I probably would get a different color):

Comment

Willing to sell my watch for $50 if anyone is interested

Comment

Brooklyn, when you say you have a small wrist, how small are talking?

Comment

I'd never measured, but your question prompted me to - my wrist is just over 6" around.

Comment

Working...
                              X