STANTT opinions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

STANTT opinions

I've needed some new everyday dress shirts for awhile. All of the ones I currently own have sleeves that are just a bit too short, but that irritate me to the point that I feel I have to roll up the sleeves so I don't look silly.

Today I decided enough was enough and ordered a STANTT shirt. For those who don't know what they are check out their website (note: I'm not affiliated with them in any way shape or form). They might cost about the same as a Spier and Mackay MTM, but these ship and return free which appeals to my indecisive, picky clothes-purchasing habits. I also don't have to worry about the return shipping to canada (extra $$$).

My shirt should arrive in a week. I'll definitely be reviewing it for you all, but I was wondering if any of you have experience with the brand and how these fit. Seems like a smart idea, but they might not have executed that well. I like a very slim shirt.

Thoughts?

ZERO replies?! I'm surprised, fellas!

Comment

I've never heard of them and when I try to click on a shirt in their collection it seems that I'm forced to enter measurements or sign up with my email address. Not a good sign. I'm trying to uncover details re: their fabrics and construction methods.

For those reasons, as well as the fact that I prefer their collars, fabrics and price, I'll stick with Spier & Mackay. It also helps that I live down the street from their retail store.

Comment

Hi [MENTION=15502]Spex[/MENTION],

Thanks for the response. I didn't have any trouble viewing their dress shirts when I tried. My quick google search didn't reveal any non-propagandistic info about their fabrics or construction. Again, I'll report back when I have one of these in person (in about 2 weeks).

If I lived down the street from a Speir and Mackay store I would be buying their MTM shirts all day too.

Comment

Definitely an interesting idea, but I think the 75 sizes, while true, is a bit of an exaggeration. Different companies have different fits to accommodate different body types, so it's not as if you have to fit in a small, medium, or large. It's not too hard to find a shirt that fits well, or at the worst, needs some minor alterations to achieve a perfect fit.

For someone tall and skinny like you, though, this could be great. Hopefully for you, you'll be able to get a well fitting shirt with long enough sleeves.

I'd be interested to know about the quality of the shirts, but I am very happy with OTR S&M. I get a great fit from them, only needing to shorten the sleeves. Not knowing much about stantt, if I were deciding between OTR stantt it MTM from S&M, I'd rather go MTM from S&M.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts about the shirt!

Comment

Originally posted by Billyum View Post
            Definitely an interesting idea, but I think the 75 sizes, while true, is a bit of an exaggeration. Different companies have different fits to accommodate different body types, so it's not as if you have to fit in a small, medium, or large. It's not too hard to find a shirt that fits well, or at the worst, needs some minor alterations to achieve a perfect fit.

For someone tall and skinny like you, though, this could be great. Hopefully for you, you'll be able to get a well fitting shirt with long enough sleeves.

I'd be interested to know about the quality of the shirts, but I am very happy with OTR S&M. I get a great fit from them, only needing to shorten the sleeves. Not knowing much about stantt, if I were deciding between OTR stantt it MTM from S&M, I'd rather go MTM from S&M.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts about the shirt!
            I bought one of their shirts after they did a pop up in New York. Fit was pretty much spot on (it's not that complicated--they just work off chest, waist, and sleeve measurements), but the quality of the shirt was definitely lacking at the price point. Fabric was comparable to Banana Republic, collar was on the short side, tail was too long to wear untucked. Beyond that, the details (buttons, cuff, etc) weren't special. As a result, I returned it...you can get custom shirts at that price with higher quality fabrics and details.

Comment

for their price, you might as well go ratio. yeah, free returns is nice, but you really only need the remake on the FIRST shirt. Which ratio does (except for shipping costs), they will remake your first shirt for free. once you have your measurements dialed in, you can take them to any MTM site like proper cloth or S&M

Comment

Originally posted by lax101 View Post
                I bought one of their shirts after they did a pop up in New York. Fit was pretty much spot on (it's not that complicated--they just work off chest, waist, and sleeve measurements), but the quality of the shirt was definitely lacking at the price point. Fabric was comparable to Banana Republic, collar was on the short side, tail was too long to wear untucked. Beyond that, the details (buttons, cuff, etc) weren't special. As a result, I returned it...you can get custom shirts at that price with higher quality fabrics and details.
                Yeah, that's pretty much what I would expect out of a place like that. They have all their marketing talking about their 75 sizes and the perfect fit, but they are lacking in the more important stuff.

If a shirt doesn't fit perfectly, it can be altered. But if it fits but it's poor material, or something like that, there's nothing to fix that.

Comment

It's also worth noting that Spier's m2m starts at about half the price of Stantt when you bundle. I think only their Thomas Mason fabrics get up to the $100+ range.

One option to consider is paying up to get a tailor to make you a shirt, then send the shirt to S&M or another online company to duplicate. As long as you control te sizing, then it's just a matter of shopping for the best price, fabric and construction.

Comment

It's not too hard to find a shirt that fits well, or at the worst, needs some minor alterations to achieve a perfect fit.
                    My problem is that I haven't been able to find something that really fits. My current shirts are exactly as slim as I want them, but with sleeves that are too short.

the quality of the shirt was definitely lacking at the price point. Fabric was comparable to Banana Republic, collar was on the short side, tail was too long to wear untucked. Beyond that, the details (buttons, cuff, etc) weren't special.
                    Oooh -- strike one for STANTT. Thanks so much for sharing your experience and thoughts. I can't speak to fabric, but they say the collar is 2.25". On the slim side, but as I favor a 2.75" lapel they won't look too insubstantial. A real bummer that it was too long to wear untucked - If I buy a ~$100 shirt I want to wear the hell out of it.

you really only need the remake on the FIRST shirt. Which ratio does (except for shipping costs)
                    Key here is "except for shipping cost" -- I'm a millennial. We refuse to pay for shipping.

One option to consider is paying up to get a tailor to make you a shirt, then send the shirt to S&M or another online company to duplicate. As long as you control te sizing, then it's just a matter of shopping for the best price, fabric and construction.
                    If I love the shirts I already own but just want longer arms, maybe I should take your advice and send them one. Ask them to duplicate sizing everywhere except for arms (and collar size). Do you think that tactic would work?!

Comment

Originally posted by Danny View Post

Key here is "except for shipping cost" -- I'm a millennial. We refuse to pay for shipping.

If I love the shirts I already own but just want longer arms, maybe I should take your advice and send them one. Ask them to duplicate sizing everywhere except for arms (and collar size). Do you think that tactic would work?!
                      Well then you'd end up having to pay to ship the shirt to them for them to mimic it anyway. It cost $10 to ship to ratio IF you need a remake. I'd much rather pay that $10 and guarantee a good product...

Comment

Oooh -- strike one for STANTT. Thanks so much for sharing your experience and thoughts. I can't speak to fabric, but they say the collar is 2.25". On the slim side, but as I favor a 2.75" lapel they won't look too insubstantial.
                        All of the shirts I buy (Brooks Brothers, Kamakura Shirts, Spier & Mackay MTM) have 3.25" collar points, so that is way too small for me. Isn't it customizable?

A real bummer that it was too long to wear untucked - If I buy a ~$100 shirt I want to wear the hell out of it.
                        I probably wouldn't want a very long casual shirt such as an OCBD or button down collar linen shirt, but I do want long dress shirts (such as a spread collar broadcloth shirt). They stay tucked in much, much better and shows that the manufacturer isn't being cheap. Wearing a proper, more formal dress shirt untucked doesn't look good at all. But again...if the question is S&M MTM vs STANTT, isn't STANTT customizable to the point where you can specify the length? Is it all about getting their so-called "perfect fit"? Meh.

Comment

[MENTION=14386]Danny[/MENTION]

Good to see you again!

For my wedding - 15 months ago - I got an MTM shirt via J. Hillburn. They don't get as much play on here as Spier and Mackay, or even Ratio and Proper Cloth, but they had some advantages for me:

- their representative came to my office and took all my measurements and talked through all my options with me.
                          - they remade the shirt for free (making it longer and adding buttons, as I'd worn it with cuffs for my wedding).
                          - shipping was free.
                          - I got a first-time user discount and a referral discount, so even though J. Hillburn starts pretty pricy, I paid almost exactly $100, which brings it into your price range.

Comment

Note that Spier & Mackay has a site-wide sale on right now with 15% off everything, including customs shirts. Applying the discount and converting Candian dollars to US dollars, a custom shirt in their most expensive fabric (Thomas Mason) would be less than $85 US. Buy 3 shirts and the price goes down by $20 shirt (not sure if the 15% applies to bundle pricing).

Note that they ship for free, even to the US, if you spend at least $100 CAD (that's currently only $77 USD).

Comment

Hi [MENTION=13548]srlclark[/MENTION],

Great to talk again. I apologize for my sporadic participation on this site - My wife is pregnant, I'm remodeling our home, and I'm working extra hours at my marketing job. Not alot of room for fashion right now.

I like the idea that a J Hillburne rep could come measure me - that's one thing i'm nervous about. While $100 IS in my price range, it's the very most I'm willing to spend. I like the idea of spending 60ish at Spier and Mackay alot more. If this STANTT thing is a return, I'll probably go with the,.

Comment

Working...
                              X