Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• guata1983
    replied

I tried this one on while I was in San Francisco a few months ago. Its closer to a mac than a trench. A small fit me perfectly, even though I'm typically a medium. I would have bought it but I couldn't justify paying full price for a Jcrew piece.

http://www.jcrew.com/mens_category/o...3454/73454.jsp

It fit really slim, and the camel color is gorgeous in person. If you can hold out until a sale, it might be a good option for you.

Leave a comment:

• Max
    replied

Not to threadjack too much, but I had a similar question. I'm moving to London next fall to study abroad and am hoping to pick up a trench for what might be more rain/cloudy weather than what I'm used to in Boston.

My only problem is that I'm pretty skinny (wear around 36R, possibly 34R jacket if it's cut bigger) and probably won't wear it over a suit/jacket very often. Can anybody recommend anything that's cut slimmer, preferably slightly cropped. I like the style of Express trenches like this, but is there anything slightly higher quality for around $150 or so (via ebay, sales,etc)?

Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• guata1983
    replied

thanks for the input, gents! I'll be sure to post pictures if i buy the jacket.

Leave a comment:

• LesserBlackDog
    replied

A BB trench may be a better value, objectively... but it still looks like a rectangle. And it's a pretentious rectangle, too - with non-functional gun-flaps, as others have mentioned. The purpose of the "gun" flaps is actually to button over the double-breasted lapels when they are fully buttoned (as shown below), preventing water from running into them.

Putting them on a single-breasted coat is like putting a racing spoiler on a Honda Civic. It doesn't serve any purpose other than trying to make the thing look "cooler."

Leave a comment:

• redbeardedmike
    replied

Actually, $170 for a BB trench. The 15% off appears when you add it to the cart. It's 25% off site-wide if you have a card there. Sale ends today, 4/5 (as reported on Put This On).

Leave a comment:

• jason_carreira
    replied

$199 for a Brooks Brother's trench is a much better deal than $120 for a Hilfiger

Leave a comment:

• rob2
    replied

Have a look at the Hilfiger one Joe has just put up in the sale for $120.

http://dappered.com/2012/04/tommy-hi...s-family-sale/

Leave a comment:

• ninja138
    replied

To me, the trench coat and outerwear in general is foremost supposed to be functional and layer/protect on top of a suit/sportcoat/whatnot, so waist suppression should really be secondary.

Leave a comment:

• alan
    replied

@BenR: Perfect for those of us without much of a shape!

Leave a comment:

• LesserBlackDog
    replied

The lack of belt makes it too shapeless, IMO. It causes the natural waist to completely disappear and turns the torso-upper thigh area into one big rectangle.

Leave a comment:

• ninja138
    replied

The lining is cotton, so you don't have to worry about it retaining heat. I dislike the non-functional gun flaps though.

I would recommend L.L.Bean Signature's trench. Also lightweight (poplin?) cotton but with half lining. It's more of a shoulder season jacket (spring/fall) and can handle anything up to steady rain. If the length is too long, you can take it to a tailor and have him/her chop off a few inches off the bottom. Money-wise, you'll still come out ahead even with tailoring costs.

Leave a comment:

• alan
    replied

Yeah, it's all personal preference. That's why both are so common, I'm sure.

Leave a comment:

• guata1983
    replied

MaxMan - That pic is what drew my attention to the jacket!

Alan - thanks for all the feedback! I actually like the flaps. I've seen them on traditional DB trenchs and IMO it sets it apart/makes it unique. For example...

http://www.thestyleblogger.com/156/cant-stand-the-rain/

I really like the Blue BB Trench as well. Strangely, the zipper looks gold in some pics and silver in others?

Not a fan of the Hickey Freeman option, specifically the double collar.

Leave a comment:

• alan
    replied

Here's a factory-direct Hickey Freeman version at the same price level (cheaper when you exclude tax) without the shoulder business:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hickey-Freeman-Mens-Mahogany-Collection-Double-Front-Mac-Jacket-/270949895880?_trksid=p4340.m185&_trkparms=algo%3DS IC.NPJS%26its%3DI%252BC%26itu%3DUA%26otn%3D5%26pmo d%3D270917120662%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D7488880924619 694413

It's definitely a warm-weather jacket, though. It's got high linen content.

Leave a comment:

• alan
    replied

Ahhh... This is the style I prefer, even though it's only offered in navy.

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatP...=&sectionsize=

Leave a comment:

Working...
X