Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another Persol Knockoff and a question about where to get RX lenses.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VespaMatt
    replied

Sams Club: $85 to put polarized lenses in a frame I brought in. $35 extra if you want the anti-reflective coating. I neglected to ask if i needed a membership since I already have one.

Costco was $92.00 for polarized lenses with anti-reflective, this included an $18 fee for providing your own frames. Costco did say they required a membership to purchase eye glasses (but not get an eye exam), I'm in Florida.

Neither offered non-polarized, tinted lenses. Neither of them had very good looking sunglasses for guys that I saw while waiting - Costco carried Ray-Bans but not any of what you would consider their classic models, and when I asked if they could order other frames I was subjected to a speech about how they can't and how it keeps their costs down blah blah blah.

I am debating paying that much to put lenses in some cheap H&M glasses. Too bad I hate contact lenses. I thought I'd share what I found in case anyone else is looking to do this, for polarized it seems either of these places is a best bet. For comparison, I also went to Target and they wanted $180 for polarized lenses and $90 for tinted lenses.

Leave a comment:

• VespaMatt
    replied

@Cannon, I am on a business membership for Sam's Club since my work buys stuff from there (not me who goes), but I personally go only a few times a year. I'm a single guy and hardly ever buy stuff in bulk. Sparkling water / soda is the exception and a once or twice a year bbq or party.

95% of the time my experience is:

1. Hey! I haven't gone to warehouse store in a while!

2. I can't really think of anything I need a bunch of.. I will just grab a couple things...

3. The checkout line has 3,000 people in it all buying 50,000 items in bulk.

4. I put my two items back, drive to Target/Grocery store, and buy it for a dollar or two more.

Leave a comment:

• LesserBlackDog
    replied

Which services Costco offers to non-members depends on the service and the location. Gas and liquor sales are regulated by state law and are sometimes open to non-members... the pharmacy is open to non-members due to federal law.

I'm not sure how the optical stuff fits in with that, as it IS a medical prescription.

Leave a comment:

• Cannon
    replied

Why wouldn't you be a Costco member already!? I kid. I actually don't find them to be that necessary in life, but they can save you money on your staple household products for sure.

Leave a comment:

• VespaMatt
    replied

From googling I have heard that Costco DOES require a membership but Sams Club does not. They are across the street from each other near my house so I am going to go over to both and price compare, see what they can do. Since I don't want to spend much or care about polarized, I am gonna see if either can do the blue tint like McQueen's, for cheap.

@Runner-Guy, thanks - a personal recommendation is exactly what I was looking for on those internet sites. I'll see how they are as well.

Leave a comment:

• dapperedcpa
    replied

FYI - I'm pretty sure Costco does not require a membership for their services, such as Optical (for example, there is one flat rate for eye exams for members and non-members). You would need a membership to buy contacts through Costco though (or at least if you want to receive membership discounted prices).

So point is - feel free to check with Costco. You may not need your sister to go with you.

Leave a comment:

• runner-guy
    replied

For my Raybans, I think I sent my frames to 39dollarglasses.com to get tinted prescription lenses.

https://www.39dollarglasses.com/prod...own_frame.html

Leave a comment:

• LesserBlackDog
    replied

I did, just today.

I'm waiting until tomorrow to take pictures, though. I didn't have the time (or the lighting) to get decent ones this afternoon. But they are pretty darn cool, IMO.

Leave a comment:

• VespaMatt
    replied

My sister has a membership to Costco, I'll see if I can go with her and what they'll say. That seems like a good price for polarized.

Did you ever get your snazzy eye glasses?

Leave a comment:

• LesserBlackDog
    replied

Costco is a great place to go if you're a member. I got some sunglasses from them recently... $45 for the frames and something like $70 for the lenses, which were a polarized, high-index polycarbonate with a prism in one eye. They can do the lenses in brown or grey. They didn't used to put lenses into frames that you brought in yourself, but I'm pretty sure they do now.

Leave a comment:

• Another Persol Knockoff and a question about where to get RX lenses.

Hey guys, for those who are upset that Nordstrom sold out of those Persol knock offs, H&M has these for $7.99:

These are different from another pair I posted earlier today on a separate thread. I went to buy those but saw these instead, they're not on the H&M website. I also tried on some genuine Persols - nice, but not in my price range.

Can anyone recommend a cheap place to get tinted RX lenses made? There are plenty of places you can order glasses for cheap online, with your RX already, but is there any place that will affordably put RX lenses in glasses you already have? I don't care about polarized and all that stuff since I have a nice pair of sun glasses already. I suppose people who buy vintage frames would have the same dilemma. I googled and found some services online where you can send them in, but as usual, personal experience is preferred.

Working...
X