Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sideswipe
    replied
    Any suggestions on where to find gray canvas Jack Purcells? (aside from going through Converse's design-your-own deal or ebay?) Nordstrom had them last year but no longer but I've only been able to find white, black, and navy available at the usual retail suspects.

Leave a comment:

• M. Montaigne
    replied
    Originally posted by diversification View Post
    Eh, I'm not really sold on DB suits yet. Maybe they'll make a comeback, but I just don't see myself being comfortable wearing one yet.

EDIT: Wait, was your comment a reply to mine or are you asking for advice on where to get a OTR BD suit?
    It was asking for advice, but I'm nevertheless sorry to hear you're not a fan of DB suits.

Leave a comment:

• diversification
    replied
    Originally posted by M. Montaigne View Post
    Any thoughts on OTR DB suits?
    Eh, I'm not really sold on DB suits yet. Maybe they'll make a comeback, but I just don't see myself being comfortable wearing one yet.

EDIT: Wait, was your comment a reply to mine or are you asking for advice on where to get a OTR BD suit?

Leave a comment:

• M. Montaigne
    replied
    Any thoughts on OTR DB suits?

Leave a comment:

• diversification
    replied
    Hi guys, I'm looking for a relatively inexpensive summer wedding suit (ideally less than $300).

I'm tired of burning up or having to play "when can I take my jacket off" with wool or cotton suits, so I need something that will be cooler than that. My understand is that, when done right, a linen-cotton blend or a linen-wool blend can provide a lot of the breathing and temperature control similar to a linen suit, but without the intense wrinkling: that's what I'm aiming for.

I'm not really willing to spend a whole lot on the suit, because frankly, it's probably not going to be worn more than 3 to 5 times a year. I'm a tall skinny guy (see my measurements in my signature), so I'll need something that's slim/skinny throughout. For reference, I've had success with Bar III slim fit suits, but frankly, their shoulders are a bit sharp for my tastes. Banana Republic Tailored Fit blazers come close to working for me through the torso, but the armholes and arm width is significantly too large.

Leave a comment:

• zerostyle
    replied

@focuspants: the thompson jacket has been as cheap as $60 before, so you can probably wait if you are unsure. I don't think it's an amazing price right now.

Leave a comment:

• thmage
    replied

Just found out I have to wear a suit every Wednesday evening (excited about that (: ). I'd like to purchase a pocket square and tie-bar then (not necessarily to wear together).

So it seems like the best place to go for those is thetiebar.com, yes?

So, could you suggest me a pocket square? I have a dark charcoal suit. My favorite shirt/tie combo is dark purple, and there's a hint of lighter purple (almost magenta) in the shirt. However, I also want something to match with my dotted black tie on a white or blue shirt.

I'm thinking something like white is best. How's this? http://www.thetiebar.com/tie-bar-pro...ptionValueIds=

I also heard that cotton is good for beginners since it doesn't slip like silk.

Also, for a tie bar, how is this one? http://www.thetiebar.com/tie-bar-pro...ptionValueIds=

I think I prefer the simple "clasp" look, but I haven't done enough research to know for sure. If you know of a better option, that'd be great too.

Thanks guys!

Leave a comment:

• DanOlympia
    replied

Regarding contrasting vests, I was thinking of something in a very light grey maybe? Any other suggestions?

Leave a comment:

• Ben
    replied

if they don't make a vest that goes with the suit, you're not going to be able to pull off matching it.

Personally I'd not try to "make it" a 3 piece, I'd just keep it as a 2 piece suit, but 21 men makes some cheap ones (which I can't speak to the quality of)

http://www.forever21.com/Product/Category.aspx?br=21men&category=m_suiting_vests

as do topman

http://www.topman.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CatalogNavigationSearchResultCmd?catalogId=33056&s toreId=12555&langId=-1&viewAllFlag=false&sort_field=Relevance&categoryI d=207246&parent_categoryId=261027&beginIndex=1&pag eSize=20

and indochino will make you one for $99, which is still cheaper than jcrew

http://www.indochino.com/collection/Vests

Leave a comment:

• Focuspants
    replied

I have the thompson suit sitting in a minimized tab at the checkout window, debating whether or not I should go for it $170 is a ridiculously good price, and the jacket fits me nicely, but I dont know if I NEED it. I am however worried about regretting not getting it... decisions decisions....

Leave a comment:

• alan
    replied

@Dan: Whether a linen vest is appropriate or not depends entirely on the suit that it's meant to go with. I'm assuming you're referring to the heather grey wool/poly Thompson suit that's currently up on the Factory website? If so, you may want something more refined than linen to go with that suit. But then again, even by itself, that could be a warm suit to attempt to wear in summer (depending where you are).

In terms of color, I agree with tomservo, except I'll take it to the next degree. Don't even attempt to find something that fully matches your suit. The color, texture, material, weave and pattern will all have to match or otherwise it won't look right. You'll be better off just contrasting.

Leave a comment:

• tomservo
    replied

Dan, match whatever fabric the suit is. If it's a linen suit go linen.

As for the vest color, only try to match if it's a standard color. Otherwise you will never get it right and it will look bad and even then it will be tough to match.

If you're deadset on making it a three piece go for something contrasting.

I'm a big fan of waistcoats by themselves and had good luck with Zappos.

Leave a comment:

• DanOlympia
    replied

Does anyone have any good suggestions for a vest that will turn my Jcrew Factory Thompson suit into a three-piece? I'm not sure if I should try to find something that matches, or something that contrasts with the rest of the suit.

There are some some promising vests on the main Jcrew site, but they cost almost as much as the whole suit!

Also, if I'm going to be wearing it in Summer, is it beneficial to find something in linen?

Leave a comment:

• VespaMatt
    replied

Target has short sleeve Madras shirts under their Mossimo line, they're supposed to be athletic fit but wouldn't say they're super slim (slimmer than LEC, I bet). They're cheap at $16.95 and have chambray inside the collar and inside the sleeve. My only complaint is that they are pretty long on me.

Leave a comment:

• jason_carreira
    replied

The short sleeve ones on LEC aren't even that cheap

Leave a comment:

Working...
X