X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• kongmw
    replied
    Originally posted by Arête View Post

I went with the Hesalite because I thought it looked better and because it was $800 cheaper. I'm not that into the whole history/legacy of the moon watch and wanting the watch more closer to the original (i.e. hesalite). I just think the hesalite looks cooler and I don't like the "milky ring" on the Sapphire. However, everything I saw was from pics/videos and not in person. However, from what I've heard, people usually like the hesalite even more once they see it in person next to the sapphire. Also, I'm pretty careful with my watches so I'm not too concerned with scratching it, and even if I do, I know you can fix it with polywatch.

Second, I liked the all brushed bracelet of the new hesalite better than the sapphire bracelet which has some polishing. I try to stay away from anything too shiny in my attire.

Third, I know people love the exhibition casebook of the sapphire, but I've had these on past watches and usually just forgot about them. In contrast to most people, I actually prefer the solid caseback. I think the open casebacks are a little cheesy unless it's something like a Patek/A Langhe and Sohn. I like that Rolex has stuck with the closed casebacks.
    Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this! I continue to have this internal debate, which I suspect will last till the second before I tell the SA which version I'd like to take home with me.

Leave a comment:

• Arête
    replied
    Originally posted by kongmw View Post

hesalite or sapphire sandwich, and why?
    I went with the Hesalite because I thought it looked better and because it was $800 cheaper. I'm not that into the whole history/legacy of the moon watch and wanting the watch more closer to the original (i.e. hesalite). I just think the hesalite looks cooler and I don't like the "milky ring" on the Sapphire. However, everything I saw was from pics/videos and not in person. However, from what I've heard, people usually like the hesalite even more once they see it in person next to the sapphire. Also, I'm pretty careful with my watches so I'm not too concerned with scratching it, and even if I do, I know you can fix it with polywatch.

Second, I liked the all brushed bracelet of the new hesalite better than the sapphire bracelet which has some polishing. I try to stay away from anything too shiny in my attire.

Third, I know people love the exhibition casebook of the sapphire, but I've had these on past watches and usually just forgot about them. In contrast to most people, I actually prefer the solid caseback. I think the open casebacks are a little cheesy unless it's something like a Patek/A Langhe and Sohn. I like that Rolex has stuck with the closed casebacks.

Leave a comment:

• kongmw
    replied
    Originally posted by Arête View Post
    My new 3861 Hesalite Speedmaster! I love the classy look and (similar to the Sub I used to own) it looks amazing with a t-shirt or a suit!

hesalite or sapphire sandwich, and why? ​​​​​​​

Leave a comment:

• Arête
    replied
    My new 3861 Hesalite Speedmaster! I love the classy look and (similar to the Sub I used to own) it looks amazing with a t-shirt or a suit!
    ​​​​​​​

Leave a comment:

• kongmw
    replied
    Originally posted by minty007 View Post

Lovely! A great choice
    Originally posted by DocDave View Post
    Wow. That's a gorgeous looking watch kongmw. Nice.
    Thanks for your kind words!

Leave a comment:

• DocDave
    replied
    Wow. That's a gorgeous looking watch kongmw. Nice.

Leave a comment:

• minty007
    replied
    Originally posted by kongmw View Post
    About two months ago I pondered on the question of a date vs. no date sub and eventually went to my SA to "register my interest" for a new Sub no date. I was honestly shocked by how fast it came in...
    So here goes:

Figure i'm going to take a break from Rolex for a bit and look around at other brands *cough* Speedy *cough* (until I inevitably get pulled back in by the 36mm Explorer)...
    Lovely! A great choice

Leave a comment:

• kongmw
    replied
    About two months ago I pondered on the question of a date vs. no date sub and eventually went to my SA to "register my interest" for a new Sub no date. I was honestly shocked by how fast it came in...
    So here goes:

Figure i'm going to take a break from Rolex for a bit and look around at other brands *cough* Speedy *cough* (until I inevitably get pulled back in by the 36mm Explorer)...

Leave a comment:

• DocDave
    replied
    Lovely watch kongmw I have been lacking in my watch wearing since the pandemic hit. I've been wearing my Garmin daily as it gives me reminders to get up and move. Otherwise I keep my ass planted at my desk.

Leave a comment:

• kongmw
    replied

DJ + Armoury 3PB

Leave a comment:

• flatbear
    replied

Leave a comment:

• motosacto
    replied
    Wow - it's been more than a month since the last post. Here's one: My Orvis-by-Hamilton field watch. This example was probably made in the early 1980s, so I bet it's pushing 40 years old. Sports an ETA 2750 handwound movement that has probably never been serviced and is running around 10 seconds slow per day. It's a little jewel for sure...

Leave a comment:

• DocDave
    replied
    Originally posted by andrewrg View Post

I've always wondered. For all the people who own more than one automatic watch, how do you keep them all going? Do you use a winding box? Or just wind them every night? or what?
    I have to set the time and wind them each time. When I do have an auto watch all set up, I will usually wear the watch for a week or more consistently. That way I am not always setting the time of the watch.

I did own a winder box, but I didn't really like it so I ended up selling the box after two mos. Just wasn't for me.

Leave a comment:

• kongmw
    replied
    Originally posted by andrewrg View Post

I've always wondered. For all the people who own more than one automatic watch, how do you keep them all going? Do you use a winding box? Or just wind them every night? or what?
    I considered getting a winder box at one point but instead have just adopted the system of wearing the same watch for a week straight and then rotate. That way I wind once at the beginning of the week. Unless I get an annual or perpetual calendar or something terribly inconvenient to adjust if run down, I doubt I’ll ever get a winder.

Leave a comment:

• kongmw
    replied
    I really do appreciate everyone’s input on the date vs no date sub debate. Decided to go with the no date for a cleaner look but will probably be a couple more months before I put things in motion. Will report back once I get it (hopefully)!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X