Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks. I've always eyed that watch but knew it was way out of my budget. I happened to be in Sams club on Memorial Day and saw they had the watch at almost half off. It was a new watch that was essentially below (although about the same after paying tax) used prices. Only issue with buying from Sams or Costco is that they pull the warranty card. I like having a complete set but besides that I don't think it's that big a deal since manufacturers warranty is normally only good for the first few years. Sams return policy and their own in-house warranty gives me peace of mind for that initial time frame.

I usually sell mine on WUS - forums.watchuseek.com - since it's the biggest watch forum. There are some others like Rolex forum and Timezone but I never signed up for those. If you're ever searching for a watch or want to see what a watch is going for, I've found watchrecon.com to be a really good tool. It basically searches all the main watch sites sales threads for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Vicious49 View Post
      Picked up a watch I always wanted but never thought I'd own.

[...]

I'm overhauling my entire collection. Getting rid of the Bremont, Grand Seiko, Tag F1, and Speedmaster. Picked up this IWC and the old version auto Bond SMP300 (should be arriving this weekend). Also picked up a Tudor North Flag in a trade that will be a catch and release for me. Still have my PO2500 though and a few other inexpensive pieces.
      Congrats, the Portuguese was the first nice watch that really caught my eye when developing the watch itch, and still looks fantastic. Quite the undertaking in selling all those, may I ask what made you decide to do the overhaul?

Comment

Wore my Rolex DJ most of the week, switching to this as the weekend inches closer....

Ben

Comment

I'm overhauling my entire collection. Getting rid of the Bremont, Grand Seiko, Tag F1, and Speedmaster. Picked up this IWC and the old version auto Bond SMP300 (should be arriving this weekend). Also picked up a Tudor North Flag in a trade that will be a catch and release for me. Still have my PO2500 though and a few other inexpensive pieces.
          Wow beautiful - love those hands. What's the motivation behind overhauling your collection? Interesting that you're not doing this 1 watch at a time, but rather a complete lineup change

Comment

<snip>

Wow. Beautiful watch. That is definitely one of the watches that I would love to add to my collection. Although right now after the Explorer II purchase I'm in a pretty good holding pattern. I like the list of watches you are bringing in to the rotation though. Looking forward to seeing the pics as they arrive.

Comment

Originally posted by hornsup84 View Post
              Quite the undertaking in selling all those, may I ask what made you decide to do the overhaul?
              It started with me realizing while I love my Speedy, I really want the 3572.50 version that you have. I figured I'd sell the Speedy now and eventually pick up the 3572 down the road. Picking up the IWC meant I had to be more aggressive in getting rid of stuff that's no longer seeing wrist time to help offset the costs. Once I'm done, I should just have

Omega PO2500
              IWC Portuguese Chrono
              Omega SMP 2531
              Maratac Mid Pilot
              An old Longines Flagship from the 60's that I need to get serviced to get running
              Casio GShock (still deciding whether I should sell or keep)
              Hamilton Jazzmaster something (still deciding whether I should sell or keep)

Originally posted by ajs116 View Post
              Wow beautiful - love those hands. What's the motivation behind overhauling your collection? Interesting that you're not doing this 1 watch at a time, but rather a complete lineup change
              It wasn't meant to happen all at once. I've been meaning to clean stuff out for a while but didn't really get motivated to do so until I needed the money for the IWC.

Comment

It started with me realizing while I love my Speedy, I really want the 3572.50 version that you have. I figured I'd sell the Speedy now and eventually pick up the 3572 down the road.
                Yeah, I get this. I love my Speedy (which I have had for just over a year now as a point of interest) but at times I wish I could see the inside workings of the watch. As someone posted on another forum, it is shame that such nice engineering is hidden away from view.

Comment

It started with me realizing while I love my Speedy, I really want the 3572.50 version that you have. I figured I'd sell the Speedy now and eventually pick up the 3572 down the road. Picking up the IWC meant I had to be more aggressive in getting rid of stuff that's no longer seeing wrist time to help offset the costs. Once I'm done, I should just have

Omega PO2500
                  IWC Portuguese Chrono
                  Omega SMP 2531
                  Maratac Mid Pilot
                  An old Longines Flagship from the 60's that I need to get serviced to get running

It wasn't meant to happen all at once. I've been meaning to clean stuff out for a while but didn't really get motivated to do so until I needed the money for the IWC.
                  Sorry for aiding the madness I do really enjoy my Speedy, I keep it on a leather band (currently on black gator to serve as a 'dress watch'). I'm sitting at this currently:

SD4k
                  Alpina pilot chrono big date
                  Gshock Rangeman
                  Maratac Pilot (pre-2013 large) - currently needs repair

I'm just trying to hold off in purchases, so that I don't need to go through the same process. I already don't wear some of what I have enough to probably warrant owning them... but I like having the option even when I don't always use it. The SD is just too easy to wear in nearly every situation (save for gym, extremely casual, etc.).

Comment

Not your fault. I already knew about the 3572 but thought I'd get over it.

After seeing the amount of detail in the Portuguese up close, I now have a craving for the new IWC Mark XVIII Le Petit Prince version. It'll be a while before I get that but it's on my radar for down the road.

Comment

somehow I can justify spending the same amount on 20 watches as you guys do on 2 but not the other way around. I am not sure how that works in my brain. It isnt even that I want THAT much variety. I think I just start feeling guilty after it hits a certain number. Logically it is the same impact though.

Comment

Not your fault. I already knew about the 3572 but thought I'd get over it.

After seeing the amount of detail in the Portuguese up close, I now have a craving for the new IWC Mark XVIII Le Petit Prince version. It'll be a while before I get that but it's on my radar for down the road.

Nice, I do enjoy the LPP models in particular. I now have two pilots watches, which I'm overall attracted to in theory, but rarely find myself strapping on. In part it's because it's easy to just keep reaching for the same watch, vs. winding or otherwise prepping another, but both pilots watches I have are also relatively large and not something I'd wear to work necessarily. Makes me wonder if a 40mm nicer version might change that... I also am a huge fan of the IWC 8 day, but it's thickness for being somewhat of a dressy watch is something I couldn't get over. Still an impressive model and striking; IWC knows how to do white and blue together, and do it well.

Originally posted by idvsego View Post
                        somehow I can justify spending the same amount on 20 watches as you guys do on 2 but not the other way around. I am not sure how that works in my brain. It isnt even that I want THAT much variety. I think I just start feeling guilty after it hits a certain number. Logically it is the same impact though.
                        Easier to take a pound of flesh in ounce size bites vs. hacking all at once

Comment

If you want a non oversized pilots watch, I can't recommend the Maratac mid pilot enough. I love the case on that one and it is by far my favorite casual watch to wear. It is very reasonably priced for what you get. I just wish I could get a quartz version of it so it could be more grab and go.

Comment

If you want a non oversized pilots watch, I can't recommend the Maratac mid pilot enough. I love the case on that one and it is by far my favorite casual watch to wear. It is very reasonably priced for what you get. I just wish I could get a quartz version of it so it could be more grab and go.
                            My thoughts on the watch too.

Comment

Originally posted by idvsego View Post
                              I was the same way until my grail watch came up for sale at a ridiculously low price (GMT Master II). I sold most of my collection to snap it up. Somehow it didn't seem like that big of a purchase because I gave up the others.

Maybe this will encourage you

Comment

Omega PO2500
                                IWC Portuguese Chrono
                                Omega SMP 2531
                                Maratac Mid Pilot

Awesome. Welcome to the Bond club. Wish I had money to buy that Speedy thought. I'd love to have the SMP/Speedy combo.

Comment

Working...
                                X