• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tissot Visodate would work too

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Comment

• Originally posted by gochrisgo View Post
      Is there a hole in the price for dress watches? I see automatic dress watches around $99-$125 and then the next range seems to come in around $1k.

Since I am surrounded by watch fiends at work and am slowly becoming one too, I'd think about springing for something unique or a little more upgraded but I don't feel like I know enough to go to a huge price. If i went above $1k, I think I'd go for a used Cartier watch or a Speedmaster for everyday.

Sorry if it is annoying to post questions to WWIWT?
      Depends on your budget and what you're looking for. There's certainly less risk to spending less on your first significant watch purchase: that way you if you find you don't like the style you haven't spent as much to begin with. That being said, if you like the look of a used cartier or a speedmaster, there's nothing wrong with starting off with that. I started out with a Seiko cocktail time as my first significant watch purchase, and while it's a great watch, I probably haven't worn it in half a year because I find myself always picking my "better" watches instead. If you love the look of the speedmaster, a used one is probably 2-3k, and if you don't like it you can probably resell it for roughly the same amount so you wouldn't take a huge hit.

That was a long winded way of saying if you have the funds and like the style, there's nothing wrong with jumping straight into the $1k+ tier, since chances are you're going to get there at some point anyway. Sometimes it's not a bad idea to skip a few steps.
      Instagram: WoofOrWeft

Comment

• Yeah, budget all depends on expendable income. If the price of a speed master or the like is something you have to save for, I would recommend waiting. My tastes have fine tuned a lot over the years and I m still not comfortable enough to go in on a speed master level purchase yet.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Comment

• Originally posted by Token View Post
          I started out with a Seiko cocktail time as my first significant watch purchase, and while it's a great watch, I probably haven't worn it in half a year because I find myself always picking my "better" watches instead. If you love the look of the speedmaster, a used one is probably 2-3k, and if you don't like it you can probably resell it for roughly the same amount so you wouldn't take a huge hit.

That was a long winded way of saying if you have the funds and like the style, there's nothing wrong with jumping straight into the $1k+ tier, since chances are you're going to get there at some point anyway. Sometimes it's not a bad idea to skip a few steps.
          I have been stalking Crown and Caliber for used watches. Do you recommend any specific sites or a store in NYC where I can try them on might be even more fun? Is it better to buy from a store instead of an individual?

Comment

• I just dove in to the archives here and came up with a couple of threads [MENTION=9020]gochrisgo[/MENTION] that might be helpful.

Regarding the purchasing of said watch, I can only offer what steps I did when I purchased my Speedmaster. I lurked on the Omega buy/sell forum for weeks finding out who was selling regularly. I also looked at their reputations for sales on the Omega forums (there is a separate forum for rating sellers). I also googled their names to find out what else was being said about them. The buyers that I was interested in I then emailed via the forums to get a sense of who they were and what they were like.

After all that I had two or three sellers that I knew I wanted to do business with. I kept my eye on what they listed for sale and when the watch I wanted came up boom! I pulled the trigger. Couldn't be happier with my purchase.

Hope that helps.

https://threads.dappered.com/showthr...ht=dress+watch

Last edited by DocDave; May 12, 2017, 12:58 PM.

Comment

I have been stalking Crown and Caliber for used watches. Do you recommend any specific sites or a store in NYC where I can try them on might be even more fun? Is it better to buy from a store instead of an individual?
              Diamond district has tons of places you can try on watches, but caveat emptor in terms of dealing with many of them -- they can be shady and pushy AF. Tourneau has a bunch of pre-owned, but they also generally seem overpriced from when I've looked there. If you're looking for a specific time piece, then you might find which one(s) have them the piece (Chrono24 is helpful for that) before going into the store. Some of them also want you to make an appointment, so walk ins might not be perfect.

As for buying online, I've had good experiences with DavidSW (Rolex in particular, but carries lots) and WatchVault (Omegas). Regardless you'll want to have a good idea of the market for whatever watch you're wanting to buy, which you can do with a bit of online research. Otherwise, most sellers are bound to increase the price.

Whether it's better to buy from a store vs. individual is a big question. Generally, stores will be pricier, but likely give you more comfort potentially in terms of if the watch isn't what you paid for, etc. Individuals you'll likely get better prices, but more risk.

Comment

• Comment

watchrecon is a good place to look for used watches. All things equal it's probably better to buy from a reputable dealer than an individual. There's an omega boutique in NYC on fifth ave if you want to go try on, but for the most part I'd recommend avoiding buying from an Omega boutique as the grey market discounts (not authorized dealers) are substantial, and even the authorized dealers will give you at least 10% off.
                  Instagram: WoofOrWeft

Comment

• Originally posted by mreams99 View Post
                    That's an interesting design. Is that an integrated band on the case or does it have springbars that you can replace that strap with other ones?

Comment

• Originally posted by sethtvaughn View Post
                      That's an interesting design. Is that an integrated band on the case or does it have springbars that you can replace that strap with other ones?
                      The strap can be replaced.
                      I'm actually looking for a different strap to use -- something that isn't quite so "dainty".

Comment

• Sporty, oversized Timex for casual Friday

Last edited by ajs116; May 12, 2017, 04:19 PM.

Comment

• Friday flight home [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Originally posted by Loafer28 View Post

Friday flight home [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                            Enjoy the gin and that Nomos. Looks good. It strikes me as more preppy than they do sometimes - maybe it's the lime!

Comment

Enjoy the gin and that Nomos. Looks good. It strikes me as more preppy than they do sometimes - maybe it's the lime!
                              Thanks! I am okay with Preppy. I switched the black band for #8 shell, maybe that's why?

Comment

• Originally posted by Rawfull View Post
                                THIS. There are a lot of watches to be had between the $100 and $1k price range and I can't recommend that watch enough. You might also want to check out the sarb065 if you can find one, or wait until next month when the new cocktail times become available.

I would advise you take things slowly as you are just getting into watches. Although the Speedmaster is an excellent watch I wouldn't advise any newbie to the watch world to drop that kind of cash right away.
                                Thanks for the help. the Sarb065 does look pretty cool - I like the sunburst on the dial.

Comment

Working...
                                X