Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks [MENTION=3355]Sose[/MENTION]. I wanted a 'vintage' model because I am hopeful the markers will get a nice patina over time. The year itself - 1991 - is inconsequential to the watch. It just happened to check all the right boxes, so the purchase was made. It will be interesting to know what year your watch is.

[MENTION=2341]LesserBlackDog[/MENTION] what year is your Explorer II? Did you buy it new?

Comment

Originally posted by DocDave View Post
      [MENTION=2341]LesserBlackDog[/MENTION] what year is your Explorer II? Did you buy it new?
      Mine was definitely used. I forget the exact date, mid '90s, '96 I think.
      Ben

Comment

This may not be consistent with the purpose of the thread, but I am reluctant to dive into the rabbit-hole of watch-specific forums and you all seem to know your stuff:

Last spring, I bought a Seiko 5 (SNK807) and loved it. A few months later, I was getting out of my car and dropped it (~3-4 feet). It no longer runs. I am toying around with going through the warranty hassle, as independent repairs seem to easily exceed the value of the watch. My question: is this fragility typical for automatic watches? I do like the idea of an automatic watch, but if I have to baby the thing, I may just buy a Timex Weekender and be done with it.

Comment

Originally posted by elpenguinoloco View Post
          This may not be consistent with the purpose of the thread, but I am reluctant to dive into the rabbit-hole of watch-specific forums and you all seem to know your stuff:

Last spring, I bought a Seiko 5 (SNK807) and loved it. A few months later, I was getting out of my car and dropped it (~3-4 feet). It no longer runs. I am toying around with going through the warranty hassle, as independent repairs seem to easily exceed the value of the watch. My question: is this fragility typical for automatic watches? I do like the idea of an automatic watch, but if I have to baby the thing, I may just buy a Timex Weekender and be done with it.
          I dropped my aevig huldra on my driveway and it still works. I think that is the only auto I have dropped. They aren't as sturdy as a quartz but that seems like you got a little unlucky. With that said, a weekend could have broken. They aren't very sturdy. I have had stems come out when setting the time and crystals shatter from a drop. Good thing is they are so cheap you can easily replace.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Comment

Any suggestions for a summer NATO band for my Casio Edifice EF-503D? (Link to an example photo for reference -- not my photo btw)

I was thinking this blue/orange/white NATO strap but it's rather aggressively preppy hahaha. Stainless steel buckles, fun summer colors, etc.

The only downside I can think of is my Orient Ray is 22mm lug width, so I can't pop this sucker on my Ray to mix things up (blue perlon strap currently on there)

Comment

Thanks [MENTION=3355]Sose[/MENTION]. I wanted a 'vintage' model because I am hopeful the markers will get a nice patina over time. The year itself - 1991 - is inconsequential to the watch. It just happened to check all the right boxes, so the purchase was made. It will be interesting to know what year your watch is.

Sweet! I wanted lug holes on mine, but my wife wasn't able to find one.
              I'll let you know when I check the year. I'm really curious now.

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by elpenguinoloco View Post

Just send it in for the warranty. The other realistic option is to just buy a new Seiko 5. It's cheaper than paying for repairs.

My Seiko 5 stopped keeping time after I dropped it from a similar height. Fortunately I was able to fiddle with the regulator until I got it to the point where it's just a little fast. It took a LOT of fiddling though. At first I didn't realize just how big of a difference a small move of the regulator makes. I would have sent it in for warranty repair, but I lost the card so that wasn't an option.

Comment

[MENTION=11517]elpenguinoloco[/MENTION] I think you were just unlucky. Could have been the way the watch landed that the gears inside are mixed up. I say you have two options. One, send it in for repairs under warranty. Two, purchase a new watch. I'd for go whichever option is cheaper and easier on my time.

[MENTION=3355]Sose[/MENTION] I think the Explorer II models without lugholes came in around 2001 and after. But that's going from memory of a Google search I did a ways back. Will be interested to see what your serial number/year comes back with.

[MENTION=13307]believe0101[/MENTION] go for it! I put a blue and white NATO band on my Invicta, which has a white face, and I think the look is great. At worst, the band doesn't work on your watch and you have a spare NATO to use on another one of your watches.

Comment

[MENTION=13307]believe0101[/MENTION] go for it! I put a blue and white NATO band on my Invicta, which has a white face, and I think the look is great. At worst, the band doesn't work on your watch and you have a spare NATO to use on another one of your watches.
                    The attitude of enablement is strong with this one....what if I don't have another watch with 20mm lug width? Time to buy one?

I guess for $12 I might as well try it out. I'll at least wait until I sell some of my crap before I take the plunge though haha. Gotta budget for the nice-to-haves one way or another....

Thanks!

Comment

I am partial to a navy and white NATO strap on any kind of summery, white dial watch. It's preppy without screaming preppy, like navy with red, yellow, or green might.

Solid olive drab and grey are also good options for a more military/tactical look.
                      Ben

Comment

navy and white is a nice strap. one of the few natos I kept around. I would add a coyote brown to the tactical choices.

Comment

My Tag - Formula 1.

Comment

Still quite happy with this guy. Explorer II.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Still quite happy with this guy. Explorer II.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              Congrats on the acquisition! Looks nice. I'd also love to add an Explorer II with tritium that hopefully in time would develop some patina. Unfortunately not at the top of my list, and my list is currently on hold for other purchases... for now just enjoying my SD4k as my daily wear and mixing in my others.

Comment

Thanks [MENTION=2622]hornsup84[/MENTION]. Were it not for the pending nuptials I'm sure a new watch wouldn't have been at the top of my list either. But in speaking with the bride-to-be we agreed (well, I agreed more than her) that a new timepiece for the wedding would be a nice way to go. After looking around a bit I settled on the Explorer and I knew I wanted one where the markers would develop the patina. So the 1991 Explorer II won the day. Of course there is still the matter of said wedding to pay for now...

The SD4K is a nice watch and definitely a good daily wearer.

Now I just need to stay away from the watchrecon site and all will be well.

Comment

Working...
                                X