This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Rawfull View Post
    Wow! Is this replacing the green one or have you fallen down the Rolex rabbit hole?
    A little of this, a little of that.

Much as I loved the green OP, I realized two things very quickly upon trying to make it my daily wearer: 1.) I need a date function because I am constantly signing and dating shit; and 2.) As cool as it is on its own, and as cool as it looks with certain outfits and color combos (esp. browns and blues), the green is just not neutral enough that it looks good with certain other color combos (e.g. charcoal suit, white shirt, red tie). Even though the 20+ year old Polar Explorer II I got was supposed to be more of a fun weekend type watch, it started taking more and more of my wrist time because it had a date and the white dial goes with just about any outfit.

I started looking at Datejusts again. The blue dial I had previously considered in competition against the OP didn't really grab me that much and I figured the bright blue dial color was probably only marginally more versatile than the olive green. The only other Datejust I had ever seriously considered, way back in the day, was the black and silver "tuxedo" or "bullseye" dial Datejust - but it struck me that was the kind of watch that, like the OP, was super freaking cool on its own but a bit "loud" (for lack of a better word) for everyday wear with business attire. I looked at plain black dial, white dial, and silver dial DJs but none of them really moved me.

Then I stumbled across a version of the bullseye Datejust that I had not noticed before - the rhodium/silver Datejust, with the same bullseye dial but a much more subtle tone-on-tone color scheme. It also has a super cool feature I had not known about before, the "roulette dial" date wheel with odd numbers in red and even numbers in black. Supposedly that design is a throwback to the original Datejust of 1945, which indicated which days were ration days and which days were not in the UK. An all-silver DJ is perhaps not the most exciting watch on its face but I felt the tone-on-tone bullseye dial and roulette wheel features were really cool and made the watch feel more special. So I picked one up from a reputable grey market seller.

At that point I still had the OP but it suddenly felt entirely eclipsed by my DJ and Explorer II. So I figured I would sell or trade it... one thing led to another and I managed to part with the OP and instead pick up an Explorer 21470 Mk. 2 in the process. That's been my trio - Explorer I, Explorer II, and DJ - for the past month or so. I rotate between the DJ and Explorer II for work, and between the two Explorers on the weekends. On balance I think I've covered my bases in terms of what I could possibly want from a Rolex - I've got the vintage (well, maybe not true vintage, but my Explorer II scratches that vintagey feel for me with its tritium paint and drilled lug holes and chintzy bracelet), the dress watch, and the modern sports watch.

The only modification I could see making to this trio would be if Rolex started making the Explorer I in 36mm again or de-Maxi-fied the Sub.
    Ben

Comment

• Originally posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
      A little of this, a little of that.
      I knew it was bound to happen! I'm still waiting I had called dibs back in Dec, to which you responded:

Originally posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
      You still feel that way?

Comment

• Wow the new logo is shockingly bad. Thanks for the side by side.

Comment

• Originally posted by gochrisgo View Post
          Wow the new logo is shockingly bad. Thanks for the side by side.
          Yeah, I try not to dwell on it too much because I think their watches are really great but the new logo is a bit jarring and, in my opinion, detracts from the overall sleekness of some of their designs.

Sidenote:
          This talk of old vs new logo reignited my interest in tracking down another trident pre-redesign before they get too hard to find.

Comment

• I kind of get in watch ruts, and this has been on my wrist for the last few weeks now, but I think it's my favorite.

CW (old logo ) Makaira Pro 500

Comment

• I let my 7 year old pick out my watch today. She has good taste

Comment

• I went with an old favorite today. I put my Orient Ray on the bracelet from my Pepsi Mako (plain brushed stainless, doesn't have the silly polished bits on the links that the Ray bracelet has). I think it takes the look up a notch. My Mako is residing happily on a brown rally strap in the meantime.

Comment

Yeah, I try not to dwell on it too much because I think their watches are really great but the new logo is a bit jarring and, in my opinion, detracts from the overall sleekness of some of their designs.
                  I've tried on or owned quite a few CW's over the years. I really like some of their designs but their watches are just too thick. They need to figure out a way to make their movements slimmer so the watch doesn't sit so high off your wrist. I know it can be done since many other manufacturers have watches with similar movements in a much slimmer case.

That has really been my reason for not hanging on to most of them for too long. After a point you get over the look of the dial or complication and realize that the case itself is just not a well balanced design from an aesthetic standpoint.

Comment

• Originally posted by JaimeGarcia View Post
                    I went with an old favorite today. I put my Orient Ray on the bracelet from my Pepsi Mako (plain brushed stainless, doesn't have the silly polished bits on the links that the Ray bracelet has). I think it takes the look up a notch. My Mako is residing happily on a brown rally strap in the meantime.

Looks good. If you don't like the polished bits, go pick up a green scotch Brite pad in the cleaning section. Go in a uniform direction over the polished pieces. Boom, no more shiny.

Comment

• Originally posted by idvsego View Post
                      Looks good. If you don't like the polished bits, go pick up a green scotch Brite pad in the cleaning section. Go in a uniform direction over the polished pieces. Boom, no more shiny.
                      Unfortunately that would still leave the pair of grooves that are cut into the center links that divide the polished section from the brushed, and those would still bother me. I'd have to go at it on the bench grinder and take off ~.2 or .3mm before they weren't visible. I think I'll be switching the Mako between leather and shark mesh to suit my mood. A belated thanks for the recomendation of Gekota, by the way. That was right at the top of my ideal price range, and their stuff looks gorgeous. I should be pulling the trigger on one of those in the coming weeks, pics to follow.

Comment

• You don't have to grind them down. The Polish is just the surface finish. The entire bracelet is the same material. The ridges would be there, it would all just be the same finish. But it sounds like you have an easy enough solution!

Comment

• Originally posted by Vicious49 View Post
                          I've tried on or owned quite a few CW's over the years. I really like some of their designs but their watches are just too thick. They need to figure out a way to make their movements slimmer so the watch doesn't sit so high off your wrist. I know it can be done since many other manufacturers have watches with similar movements in a much slimmer case.

That has really been my reason for not hanging on to most of them for too long. After a point you get over the look of the dial or complication and realize that the case itself is just not a well balanced design from an aesthetic standpoint.
                          Hmm I've only ever worn their divers but didn't find them to be overly bulky. Maybe it's because I have a 38mm model? Mine is measuring at 12.5mm ish thick which to me is pretty good for a diver rated for 600 meters. My Seiko and Armida divers are much thicker and do give me problems with trying to fit under a shirt sleeve.

Comment

Hmm I've only ever worn their divers but didn't find them to be overly bulky. Maybe it's because I have a 38mm model? Mine is measuring at 12.5mm ish thick which to me is pretty good for a diver rated for 600 meters. My Seiko and Armida divers are much thicker and do give me problems with trying to fit under a shirt sleeve.
                            I thought about adding that caveat after I posted. The thickness is fine for divers but not dress watches. A non-diver shouldn't be 14 mm thick or whatever it is some of them are measuring in at.

Comment

• Something different...

Ben

Comment

• Celebrating St Patrick's day with my alpinist today!

Comment

Working...
                                X