This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
    I bought a few of those Chinese cheapies back in the day... every single one was sufficiently defective enough to be essentially DOA. (An Aqua Terra homage with a cracked crystal; an MM homage that fogged up after one day of wear and no exposure to water; and a Sub homage whose movement was broken in some fashion that I don't even remember anymore.)
    dude...your post man sucks. I mean, they arent great watches but I ordered a $3 chinese watch and it still works. I was going to take it apart and test my tools and got impatient waiting on it to arrive. ended up just going right at my mod project. So when it got here I opened it, said wow, looks like crap, and it has been knocking around my drawer for over a year. still worked a couple of months ago. I will take a timex expedition over a cheap chinese auto any day but they usually work. HUGE thread of under $20 success stories on WUS.

Comment

• Originally posted by idvsego View Post
      dude...your post man sucks. I mean, they arent great watches but I ordered a $3 chinese watch and it still works. I was going to take it apart and test my tools and got impatient waiting on it to arrive. ended up just going right at my mod project. So when it got here I opened it, said wow, looks like crap, and it has been knocking around my drawer for over a year. still worked a couple of months ago. I will take a timex expedition over a cheap chinese auto any day but they usually work. HUGE thread of under $20 success stories on WUS.
      The postman didn't install a warped, cracked crystal into one watch or magically remove the water resistance of another. (IIRC I opened the MM homage up after it fogged and it did not even have a gasket installed.) I guess it's possible the movement issues with the third may have been caused by improper handling, but I've bought and sold and shipped and received a LOT of mechanical watches without any movement issues, so either way it speaks to the quality/robustness (or lack hereof) of the watch.

*shrug*
      Ben

Comment

• Originally posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
        The postman didn't install a warped, cracked crystal into one watch or magically remove the water resistance of another. (IIRC I opened the MM homage up after it fogged and it did not even have a gasket installed.) I guess it's possible the movement issues with the third may have been caused by improper handling, but I've bought and sold and shipped and received a LOT of mechanical watches without any movement issues, so either way it speaks to the quality/robustness (or lack hereof) of the watch.

*shrug*
        My comment was somewhat tongue in cheek. The crystal... Yeah, that dumb. The water resistance.... Ha. You have to assume there is none regardless of what they say. It's the white castle of burgers. Too crappy for many. I was just saying, if you burger didn't come with meat on it there are bigger issues.

Yeah, they aren't great watches but if you are particular about which ones you buy and where from then you may get a little cheap fun out of the deal. Please, no hooker analogies.

Comment

• Alright I didn't mean to open the door to Chinese watch hate. Back to the regular stuff. Seiko 5 pilot watch on a random "I bought it off amazon for $10" strap because I don't like the bracelet:

Comment

• [MENTION=14680]Paddington[/MENTION] nice looking Hamilton. And I agree with you. The colour of the watch band works great.

Comment

• What watch I wore today

Trying out a braided leather strap from Spiedel on the Casio Edifice today.

Comment

• Originally posted by Northerner View Post
                Alright I didn't mean to open the door to Chinese watch hate. Back to the regular stuff. Seiko 5 pilot watch on a random "I bought it off amazon for $10" strap because I don't like the bracelet:

What model is that? Does it have an 18mm strap like most of those seiko 5 models?

Comment

• For a $10 strap, I'd say that's pretty good.

Comment

What model is that? Does it have an 18mm strap like most of those seiko 5 models?
                    It's the SNKE, I think the 61 or the 63?. 39mm with a 20mm strap.

Also comes in blue and black which can be quite sharp:

Ordinarily I only buy watches online, this one I got at a Chinatown jeweler that mostly sells Pandora charm bracelets and G-shocks.

Comment

• Originally posted by Northerner View Post
                      It's the SNKE, I think the 61 or the 63?. 39mm with a 20mm strap.

Also comes in blue and black which can be quite sharp:

Ordinarily I only buy watches online, this one I got at a Chinatown jeweler that mostly sells Pandora charm bracelets and G-shocks.
                      Positive it's 20mm? Specs are all over the place on seiko 5s on the web. I don't like 18mm straps so if it's 20 I will order a couple as a mod base.

Comment

Positive it's 20mm? Specs are all over the place on seiko 5s on the web. I don't like 18mm straps so if it's 20 I will order a couple as a mod base.
                        I'm sure it's 20mm, this is the strap: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Oh and my purchase history says I paid $19 not $10 (although it's now up to $27 CDN).

Comment

• Sweet, thanks for the confirmation

Comment

• Wishing it were still the weekend ...

Weekender on leather NATO strap (Etsy)

Comment

• Noob question. What's it take to be allowed to post pics/attachments?

Comment

• Originally posted by sethtvaughn View Post
                                Trying out a braided leather strap from Spiedel on the Casio Edifice today.
                                I really like that strap. Need to find one for myself now.

Comment

Working...
                                X