Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cool. I almost bought the technos speedy homage. Almost. I hear they make a solid watch.

Comment

Originally posted by idvsego View Post
      Cool. I almost bought the technos speedy homage. Almost. I hear they make a solid watch.
      I've been super impressed by the finishing and build quality. I was tempted by the Speedy homage, too, but figured I'd gamble on Technos with a simpler movement (plus I wanted a black dial, and I could only find it in blue).

Comment

3 years on and I have yet to tire of this thing. My wife and I have her grandfathers 80s two-tone Submariner incoming which we will have to send off to the service center for a spa treatment but I hope she will let me wear that at some point. Needs a bracelet as the old hollow end link band is stretched out...thinking NATO of some sort.

Comment

Back to the speedy today

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          Instagram: WoofOrWeft

Comment

Originally posted by JBarwick View Post
            3 years on and I have yet to tire of this thing. My wife and I have her grandfathers 80s two-tone Submariner incoming which we will have to send off to the service center for a spa treatment but I hope she will let me wear that at some point. Needs a bracelet as the old hollow end link band is stretched out...thinking NATO of some sort.

If you're interested in getting the bracelet back into shape where it's wearable, there's a guy out of HK that gets good reviews on WUS, so can look around for his info. Probably not particularly cheap, but then again you're talking about a Rolex.

Comment

I would think RSC could tighten up the bracelet along with regular service? But I don't really know.

If it's TT with a black dial I think it would look great on a chocolate brown leather strap (standard or NATO).
              Ben

Comment

[MENTION=14773]Token[/MENTION] that is a beautiful Speedy.

Comment

Originally posted by DocDave View Post
                  [MENTION=14773]Token[/MENTION] that is a beautiful Speedy.
                  Seconded.

Today, I'm feeling hip to be square:

Comment

SNK on Bond.

Comment

Originally posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
                      I would think RSC could tighten up the bracelet along with regular service? But I don't really know.

If it's TT with a black dial I think it would look great on a chocolate brown leather strap (standard or NATO).
                      It's a blue dial. We compared it to my FIL's Submariner of the same vintage, and while I forget which of the two it was, one watches blue dial was turning a more purple hue compared to the other. I actually looked pretty good with the dial slightly purple. I will put some shots up either prior or after service...don't know when I will see it next.

Comment

Originally posted by JBarwick View Post
                        It's a blue dial. We compared it to my FIL's Submariner of the same vintage, and while I forget which of the two it was, one watches blue dial was turning a more purple hue compared to the other. I actually looked pretty good with the dial slightly purple. I will put some shots up either prior or after service...don't know when I will see it next.
                        I also like the slightly purple with age look. Research more before sending in, but if you want to retain the value and/or look of the vintage aesthetic, you may need to give specific instruction to the RSC about not replacing dials, lume, hands, date wheels, etc. when they do a service. I wasn't paying particular attention at the time I was reading, but I think you can find some horror stories about people who lost great dial/lume/etc. when servicing.

Again, I'm not an expert. I did, however, remember the guy's name who is known for restoring old bracelets to useful life: Michael Young out of HK.

Comment

Someday I will figure out how to take decent quality iphone pictures...
                          Duncan

I know my username is dumb; blame 12 year old me.

Comment

Hamilton Intramatic 38mm on B&R Bands honey gator band.

The honey gator is almost a perfect match to my AE walnut Warwicks. The lighting of the picture throws it off a little, but in real life, it's very close.

I love the watch on the stock black band, but I rarely wear black, so I bought some brown bands to liven it up and give it more wrist time.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Comment

My curiosity got the better of me. I ordered one of those direct-from-China $25 automatic watches to see what it was like. Actually pleasantly surprised. Movement looks very similar to my Seiko 5 minus the day complication, even has a similar looking rotor.

Pros: small and slim case size, hand-winding, actually has a decent power reserve (!), blue color is good, dial has some sunburst texture
                              Cons: pretty sure case isn't actually steel, no water resistance, date window doesn't look that good.

Bears an ever-so-slight resemblance to the Seamaster "Aqua Terra."

Comment

I bought a few of those Chinese cheapies back in the day... every single one was sufficiently defective enough to be essentially DOA. (An Aqua Terra homage with a cracked crystal; an MM homage that fogged up after one day of wear and no exposure to water; and a Sub homage whose movement was broken in some fashion that I don't even remember anymore.)
                                Ben

Comment

Working...
                                X